2»

Comments

• Well done indeed.  <3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    You have the same garden table as me.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    @LoFi It needs oiling - right bloody mess it is!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23091
    Gosh, that looks amazing.  And what extraordinary condition it's in.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Lovely 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

edited October 2016
    Quick update for @miserneil, @guitars4you and @SteveRobinson ;;

LP Special went for a fret dress and a fettle at Steve R's. Got it back today and fitted a compensated bridge courtesy of @miserneil. ;;

Lovely job - intonation is spot on and I highly recommend for anyone with a wrap tail. 

Here it is straight on - you really can't tell it's a modern replacement:

Whilst snapping this shot, I noticed this one next to it which never got it's own thread - it's a parts build I've done for a relative (not handed over yet!) Do you want to see more?

Just in case anyone is interested - contacted Gibson to see if they could spot this in the ledger.

They came back to me today - and yep, there it is - 1962. Labelled as an 'SG Special' which is correct for a slab bodied 'SG' in 1962. Makes it one of the last slab bodied DC's before the new SG shape took over completely. '62 was also the year Les Paul's endorsement ended, and so they were still able to use his name on the headstock earlier in the year. 

Means it's a bit of a rare old bird - a genuine Les Paul (although labelled as SG in the ledger) from 1962 - when they theoretically shouldn't have existed then! Good old Gibson and their consistency ;)
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • now that's what a good vintage guitar shold look like. congratulations 
  • Just in case anyone is interested - contacted Gibson to see if they could spot this in the ledger.

They came back to me today - and yep, there it is - 1962. Labelled as an 'SG Special' which is correct for a slab bodied 'SG' in 1962. Makes it one of the last slab bodied DC's before the new SG shape took over completely. '62 was also the year Les Paul's endorsement ended, and so they were still able to use his name on the headstock earlier in the year. 

Means it's a bit of a rare old bird - a genuine Les Paul (although labelled as SG in the ledger) from 1962 - when they theoretically shouldn't have existed then! Good old Gibson and their consistency ;)
    gretsch where just as bad back in the day 
    Just in case anyone is interested - contacted Gibson to see if they could spot this in the ledger.

The more I look into this the more I've realised that Gibson's consistency and record keeping in the late 50's and early 60's was pretty atrocious!

Transition periods lasted years, they used older parts in the warehouse to knock out unusual older models from time to time, and there was little consistency in embellishments. So far, I've seen early 60's LP DC Specials (labelled as 'SG Specials') with 

- no headstock embellishments
    - Les Paul Special silkscreen
    - SG Standard crown logo both silkscreened and inlayed

As well as a whole variety of different knobs (reflectors, top hats, speed knobs) 

At least Gibson have confirmed it's definitely a genuine 1962 SG Special in the old style Les Paul slab bodied Double Cut configuration. Even tho they should have stopped making them in 1960 ;)

• Just in case anyone is interested - contacted Gibson to see if they could spot this in the ledger.

The more I look into this the more I've realised that Gibson's consistency and record keeping in the late 50's and early 60's was pretty atrocious!

Transition periods lasted years, they used older parts in the warehouse to knock out unusual older models from time to time, and there was little consistency in embellishments. So far, I've seen early 60's LP DC Specials (labelled as 'SG Specials') with 

- no headstock embellishments
    - Les Paul Special silkscreen
    - SG Standard crown logo both silkscreened and inlayed

As well as a whole variety of different knobs (reflectors, top hats, speed knobs) 

At least Gibson have confirmed it's definitely a genuine 1962 SG Special in the old style Les Paul slab bodied Double Cut configuration. Even tho they should have stopped making them in 1960 ;)

we have a genuine gretsch white falcon double cut away.
    the double cut generally didn't come out until 62 but ours has a 59/60 serial number and the neck/headstock of a late 50s but then some features of a 62???
    we know it's a factory stock because we know the full history of the guitar.
    I've seen only pictures of two others just like ours. 
      understanding vintage guitars is a bloody mind field and little knowledge can be dangerous. lol.
    I'm loving the look of ur jr mate

Thanks @musicman100 - Interesting re:your white falcon. I do agree, unless you're persistent or you really know what you're doing then vintage can be a nightmare. 

TBH I'm happy to play it and enjoy it - isn't what they are about after all? ;)
  • Thanks @musicman100 - Interesting re:your white falcon. I do agree, unless you're persistent or you really know what you're doing then vintage can be a nightmare. 

If your ever passing through west Yorkshire please call in for a coffee n chat about guitars?

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    1962 is my YOB. Make a nice 55th birthday prezzie, that.. Just saying, like..  ;)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

Thanks @musicman100 - Interesting re:your white falcon. I do agree, unless you're persistent or you really know what you're doing then vintage can be a nightmare. 

If your ever passing through west Yorkshire please call in for a coffee n chat about guitars?

Love to mate. PM me your location and I will let you know if I'm up your way
    usedtobe said:
    1962 is my YOB. Make a nice 55th birthday prezzie, that.. Just saying, like..  ;)
    Ironic I know, but 62 is a great year for YOB special guitars.. My YOB is 74 and the choice is, um, limited ;)
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    Awesome Mark! It's always great to get some history on a vintage guitar purchase (my new Tele is revealing a few secrets too...) and it looks like it's a rare old girl too! Even better score! :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    miserneil said:
    Awesome Mark! It's always great to get some history on a vintage guitar purchase (my new Tele is revealing a few secrets too...) and it looks like it's a rare old girl too! Even better score! :-)
    Yeah - rare old girl indeed. You'll have to impart your tele secrets when you get a chance ;)