SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold - Gaz Coombe's Gibson ES335

What's Hot

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    edited October 2016
    It's fairly substantial , I think the 89 is supposed to have a 59 style neck (I'm sure I read that somewhere). It's not as clubby as a LP but certainly bigger than the SG I have that has a slim 60s neck.
    Any chance you could measure the neck depth front to back at the first and twelfth frets? That will give a good idea of the neck thickness.

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • It's fairly substantial , I think the 89 is supposed to have a 59 style neck (I'm sure I read that somewhere). It's not as clubby as a LP but certainly bigger than the SG I have that has a slim 60s neck.
    Any chance you could measure the neck depth front to back at the first and twelfth frets? That will give a good idea of the neck thickness.

PMSL  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5100
    It's fairly substantial , I think the 89 is supposed to have a 59 style neck (I'm sure I read that somewhere). It's not as clubby as a LP but certainly bigger than the SG I have that has a slim 60s neck.

PMSL  
    Where I'm from we can do punctuation and spell tyre.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sorry to mess anyone about but I've now sold the SG and the LP studio and have a buyer lined up for the J Mascis Jazzmaster. It means I've brought in around £1.5k for the moving fund this week.

I was taking more photos of the 335 today to post up and made the mistake of plugging it into my Princeton.

I'm going to have to have a rethink at this stage , I'm sure you understand.

Someone buy my Gretsch please !

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think you should keep it. £500 can't make a huge difference on a house move?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4686
    Keep It @DrCornelius , you know your going to regret letting that one go 
  • Thanks guys , that's my thinking exactly.  I haven't really played it because I'm welded to my Tele usually but it didn't half sound nice this morning (may be my night nurse hangover though)
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2911
    Keep it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 565
    Keep the 335 & definitely keep the Mrs too . . . Your a winner on both counts :-) 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha thanks Maw, she's a beauty alright and the wife ticks a few boxes too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FellixFellix Frets: 27
    I went to 6th form with Gaz's younger brother Charlie at Wheatley Park School Oxford. Blimey seeing this takes me back to when the Cowley Road in Oxford was alive with rock bands in the mid to late 90's!
    2014 Fender Strat Plus Replica in Lake Placid Blue /1996 Fender 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Strat in Candy Apple Red /1993 Fender American Stratocaster Plus Deluxe in Blue Burst /Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555x 100w head with Victory Silverback Vintage 30 Loaded 4 x 12 Official Boss Pedal Addict - TU-3 , OD-1, DD-2 , DC-3, PS-1, RB-5, DS-1
  • This one is back up for sale , my wife has seen sense as a £2,000 ornament , however gorgeous isn't something we can afford right now. 

A fantastic guitar, choc full of mojo but too big for my 5 ft 2, 7 stone wife and not the sort of sound that I go for !
  • This one is back up for sale , my wife has seen sense as a £2,000 ornament , however gorgeous isn't something we can afford right now. 

A fantastic guitar, choc full of mojo but too big for my 5 ft 2, 7 stone wife and not the sort of sound that I go for !
    Lol, can you say vintage telecaster?
  • Yeah I missed out on that one because while I was trying to convince my wife to let me sell the 335 to pay for the Tele some cheeky sod went and nabbed it ...people eh ! :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• A fantastic guitar, choc full of mojo but too big for my 5 ft 2, 7 stone wife and not the sort of sound that I go for !
    Finally we get a weight!

Sorry. 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah I missed out on that one because while I was trying to convince my wife to let me sell the 335 to pay for the Tele some cheeky sod went and nabbed it ...people eh ! :-)

if you snooze you loose. lol
  • Indeed , lesson learned MM
  • why on earth did you sell that beautiful 60s strat? 
  • Long story but in a nutshell it was sold to buy my son a vintage beetle. He just turned 17 and was having a tough time and I hoped it would give him something to focus on.

9 months later he's doing really well and has hardly bloody touched the car !
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Long story but in a nutshell it was sold to buy my son a vintage beetle. He just turned 17 and was having a tough time and I hoped it would give him something to focus on.

9 months later he's doing really well and has hardly bloody touched the car !
    I fully understand now. hope he ok