Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best courier for shipping a guitar within the UK?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72413
    edited February 2018
    TTony said:

Of course, @courier might now come along and offer us something interesting that removes all of those obstacles.  At least they appear to offer full insurance (in contrast to most other couriers) for musical instruments.
    The question is if they actually pay out properly if something goes wrong. This has been the issue with other couriers who appear to offer insurance - even without nasty small print.

Unfortunately that requires something to go wrong first, in order to find out...

Edit: also see FreddieVanHalen's post below.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    TTony said:

Of course, @courier might now come along and offer us something interesting that removes all of those obstacles.  At least they appear to offer full insurance (in contrast to most other couriers) for musical instruments.
    The question is if they actually pay out properly if something goes wrong. This has been the issue with other couriers who appear to offer insurance - even without nasty small print. I would love Direct Courier Solutions to be the exception.

Unfortunately that requires something to go wrong first, in order to find out...

They could look at the option of a 3rd party 'goods in transit' policy that overrides the 'crap' policy of the shipping company that covers FB members for a sensible additional fee - I use such a policy and it covers me for most world wide shipping for loss and damage - granted only had to use it twice in 15 years, so it is there as peace of mind, but my yearly payments are so far higher than the 2 claims I've made

The negative for someone taking it on board is assuming that the parcel will be properly packaged in the first place - I see goods sent to me that are fine and some that are poorly packaged and that is maybe a 2-5K guitar coming to me
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    There are two options that spring to mind, one is to arrange a fretboard "approved" deal where something is gained for it, a kick back or whatever, I don't know if any money changes hands in the running of the board nor do I want to.  The other option is not to get anything from it just get a courier to confirm what cover is provided, and a set rate which we post here with a proviso that its not recommended but everyone knows the costs up front.

I've never posted a guitar, I sent an amp which I sold on here and dealing with UPS online was a bit of a  faff and the price they originally suggested wan't what I ended up paying.

The option with UPS is appealing to me as you know who you are dealing with, other national couriers I imagine you end up with a sub or sub sub contracted service and anyone turns up.

Just a thought, most people on here will have much more experience with couriers than me.
  • FreddieVanHalenFreddieVanHalen Frets: 954
    edited February 2018
    Courier said:
    Hi Guys. We ship musical instruments with insurance for damage and total loss in transit. visit our website for further details..
      https://www.directcouriersolutions.com/product-category/musical-instruments/
    Do not under any circumstances use these jokers.

This is the same firm that caused me a load of grief when I sold a guitar on here. They failed to show up, denied there was a problem, accused me of lying and then charged me a tenner for this insult.

The "customer service" was rude and unhelpful. Hands down the worst service I have had from *any* courier.

EDIT: I suspect the only reason @Courier ; is posting here is because my original review and thread about my experience comes right up the google rankings when you search for their name.

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/13237/courier-name-and-shame-direct-courier-solutions#latest

Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

UPS via Interparcel is the usual recomendation....plus really good packaging!

http://www.interparcel.com/

Check the price online with the size and weight, but beware that the bit where you add the insurance cover is later in the booking process.

+1

I use UPS for guitars. Even shipped to the USA and never had a problem.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • About 10-15 years ago dealer adverts in Vintage Guitar mag used to be headed up with, "Don't worry, we don't use UPS for shipping!".

At the time I bought and had shipped over to the UK a vintage guitar, they shipped with UPS.  My heart was in my mouth for 10 days.  I remember lots of, "WhyTF is it stuck for 3 days in a hub in Heuston?!!" type thoughts...

It arrived, on time, not a scratch :)
  • old thread revival!

I am looking for a good delivery company in the UK...are people still going with UPS and no insurnace with no hard case?
  • Also, where are people sourcing boxes for shipping acoustic guitars in from?
  • Hi all, is UPS still the preferred/suggested method for shipping an acoustic guitar?  I’m looking to buy an acoustic from a fellow in NI to ship to London. He’s told me to arrange courier and insurance. I’m a bit nervous and might back out of the deal as a result since ive never done a deal like this - always face to face in the past.

the sticky posts all seem dated. Any (updated) advice/experience?

Thank you
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited September 2020
    In my experience they are all cowboys, especially in  the busier than usual Covid times.....

RM have compensated me for the loss of two parcels which just disappeared, despite being tracked. Both eventually arrived but weeks late. Another which went second class signed for arrived after 6 weeks, a neck I had  delivered recently came from Sussex to the IOW via Germany and Holland...

Its all a lottery....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• golocky said:
    Hi all, is UPS still the preferred/suggested method for shipping an acoustic guitar?  I’m looking to buy an acoustic from a fellow in NI to ship to London. He’s told me to arrange courier and insurance. I’m a bit nervous and might back out of the deal as a result since ive never done a deal like this - always face to face in the past.

the sticky posts all seem dated. Any (updated) advice/experience?

Thank you
    The standard of the seller's packaging will be your biggest worry.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2274
    Way too big a risk. As above, if the seller doesn't pack it to withstand nuclear attack, it might be damaged and you have little recourse.

Find one closer to home, or if you have to have it ,collect it yourself!
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    edited September 2020
    I recently shipped 2 acoustics to different UK locations. Both were in hard cases. I'm not sure I'd like to risk one that wasn't.
    The first was with FedEx (through Overland Express) and the other was with UPS (through Transglobal Express).
    I'm happy to report both arrived safely without incident.

Packaging - I don't live that close to any guitar shops so I've never tried blagging used guitar boxes from a shop. Has anyone actually done this successfully?
    There's a heating/boiler installers nearby that have deliveries in double layer cardboard boxes so I blagged their old boxes and I cut them to size to fit and double line them - effectively 4 layers of cardboard! Lots of gaffer tape and bubble wrap too.

Word of warning - DON'T buy the boxes they sell on Ebay specifically for guitars! I originally ordered one but it turned up over 2 weeks late (delivered by Hermes!) and it was crushed to buggery. Even if it had been delivered on time and in good nick, it was pretty poor quality box anyway.
    I asked for a refund.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    Sorry for the bump but does UPS insure a parcel automatically if you declare the value? And do they cover up to the declared value?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11916
    Stevepage said:
    Sorry for the bump but does UPS insure a parcel automatically if you declare the value? And do they cover up to the declared value?
    not on transglobalexpress, which is where I get UPS quotes from, you have to select insurance
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    Stevepage said:
    not on transglobalexpress, which is where I get UPS quotes from, you have to select insurance
    I see, I was going direct through UPS and it seems they do cover the declared value
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Mention any courier and someone somewhere will have a horror story. I generally use UPS or Parcelforce 24 and they are normally very good. I always go for a next day service so the guitar is not sitting in a warehouse for a long time. I have sold a lot of high end HiFi and always used Interparcel as the agent, the two times I had stuff damaged they paid out within a reasonable time.
    what is happening now is that most of the couriers will only insure up to £1000 for damage but will cover the full amount for a loss.

I was going to say similar.

I have to say I won't use DHL, as they are inflexible on delivery and will still happily have you sitting in the house for 12 hours waiting for them to decide to turn up.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Check the small print on insurance. Guitars are often not covered, they'll happily take your money though obviously.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    How much does it cost on average to post a guitar within the uk
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1414
    Stevepage said:
    No and no is the short answer. The longer answer is still no and no but declaring an appropriate value does mean the shipping company accepts liability beyond the standard terms of the Warsaw and Montreal conventions. However, declared value is not the same as insurance and the T&Cs of almost all shipping companies will, in any case, have a low maximum payout for musical instruments and/or firm exclusions.