Searching for lefty guitars in the classifieds

What's Hot
Is there a good way to do this?

The site search seems to only work site-wide and produces results according some mysterious ordering system.

The best idea I've come up with is using google search and setting site to thefretboard.co.uk which is somewhat better thanks to googles better ordering and time controls but still a pretty random effort.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Ok here's a better try using the site search, circumventing some strange behaviour:

do do a search then click on advanced search

Enter "@title left" in the search box
    change the search parameter to "extended" ("any" doesn't work)
    change forum to "guitars £"
    order by recent

That returns the most entries I can manage.  In theory the OR operand should help but using it returns zero entries for me.
  • That sounds like a pain in the arse. It'll probably be easier to re-learn the guitar right handed.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I did suggest a Tagging system for the Classifieds a week or so back, any progress @digitalscream
    ?
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    That sounds like a pain in the arse. It'll probably be easier to re-learn the guitar right handed.

It would have been easier to play as a righty in the first place. I find it unfathomable that someone would choose to play an instrument different to 95% of the rest of the players.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    I'm a lefty but play righty, only because my first guitar was a righty though. Really dont think I could play lefty at all though. Unhelpful to the OP of course.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • randellarandella Frets: 4176
    Garthy said:
    That sounds like a pain in the arse. It'll probably be easier to re-learn the guitar right handed.

It would have been easier to play as a righty in the first place. I find it unfathomable that someone would choose to play an instrument different to 95% of the rest of the players.
    Bit harsh perhaps, I can think of one iconic lefty who lost patience searching for a southpaw guitar... ;)
  • Given there's virtually zero cross over for these two markets does it make sense to have a left handed for sale section?
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    Given there's virtually zero cross over for these two markets does it make sense to have a left handed for sale section?
    how many listings would that attract - one or two per year? (Genuine question, asked by a lefty)

edited October 2016
    Garthy said:

Some lefties can learn right handed successfully, others not: our brains and nervous systems are not symmetrical.  I could learn to play right handed but I'm not st all confident that I'd ever have the same level of picking hand subtlety.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Garthy said:

gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Garthy said:

Don't be so fucking ignorant. 

There's a reason there are left handed guitars. It's because not all of us are able to reorientate completely to play right handed. 

I find it unfathomable some keyboard warriors shoot their fucking mouths off without actually thinking stuff through. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited October 2016
    NPP said:
    Given there's virtually zero cross over for these two markets does it make sense to have a left handed for sale section?
    how many listings would that attract - one or two per year? (Genuine question, asked by a lefty)
    Honestly I don't know.  I'm right handed so I don't really keep track of left handed adverts.

My thinking is it would be a subsection of guitars £, I guess it depends if the modmin team think it is a good idea or not
    Skarloey said:
    Garthy said:

There's a reason there are left handed guitars. It's because not all of us are able to reorientate completely to play right handed. 

I find it unfathomable some keyboard warriors shoot their fucking mouths off without actually thinking stuff through. 
    There are no left handed pianos or tubas or violins... 
    Take 5 away from the computer, realise that none of this matters and come back with a smile. :) 
    'Awibble'
    Hertz32 said:
    Skarloey said:
    Garthy said:

Take 5 away from the computer, realise that none of this matters and come back with a smile. :) 
    There are no left handed brown-people-killing-fire-from-above death machines either.
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Hertz32 said:
    Skarloey said:
    Garthy said:

There are no left handed brown-people-killing-fire-from-above death machines either.
    You're right, because all pilots learn to fly ambidextrously. 
    On the other hand Drew, quit pestering me with your unfunny comments.

(See what I did there?) 
    'Awibble'
    Hertz32 said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Hertz32 said:
    Skarloey said:
    Garthy said:

You're right, because all pilots learn to fly ambidextrously. 
    On the other hand Drew, quit pestering me with your unfunny comments.

(See what I did there?) 
    You're funnnyy!! We should fuck!
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Hertz32 said:
    Skarloey said:
    Garthy said:

@Hertz32 Yes, yes mate. Quite relaxed. Always was. 

There ARE some left handed violins available to buy although probably like you I can't recall ever seeing  a left handed classical violinist. 

Pianos, wind instruments etc are a totally different kettle of fish. It's more fine motor skills demanded there, rather than the guitar which I find harder to adapt to because it's fine and gross motor skills. 

I think ultimately it does matter when you get very blinkered 'why don't people do things in a set way' comments. At their worst it results in the pathetic ignorance we had times past where left handed kids had to write right handed. All in the name of some dumb fuck deeming it 'unfathomable' that people should have the sheer brass neck to use their left hands to write with. If people can't fathom it then just fuck off and post on topics where they do have half a fucking clue what's going on. 

Discrimination is shit. Only the other day I demanded to see the manager in B and Q to ask why there were no left handed screwdrivers in stock. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Skarloey said:
    Garthy said:

As a left handed kid who had to write with my right, I find that you're the keyboard warrior in this instance, with a rather short fuse too. If you think I'm wasting my life looking for left handed scissors you have to be having a laugh. Same with golf clubs and guitars.

Do you get irate with the ignorant rental companies who will only offer you lhd cars when on holiday? I can just imagine you screaming at someone in Barcelona ""I want the fucking gear stick in my fucking left hand you fucking fuck". 

Fine or or gross motor control? Self control would be a start.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Get a room boys 
    Well done guys, you just let Garthy troll the thread and derail it entirely.