Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

DELAY...shall i call Time on my Timeline?

What's Hot
JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 395
Two issues for me on the Timeline:
1. So many presets means I forget where I am on the TL. Thinking of going simple analog...
2. Sound is good but a wee bit sterile (controversial!)
Maybe moving to a DM2-W and a Belle Epoch or Echorec or....
Analoqman emailed me about a modulation equipped pedal was on its way.....no sign yet.
Ramble over......
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2233
    edited October 2016
    NO! 

I love mine anyway. It covers so much ground. I thought about offloading it a few months ago, but when I really dug into the different delay engines, I got so much out of it. If you find you don't like how it sounds, though, and find it sterile...I really don't but fair enough, one person's Timeline is another person's... erm, crap delay? Yes. That.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3472
    edited October 2016
    I don't get the "sterile" thing. Can anyone explain?

I personally don't like the Timeline but thats only because the digital didn't sound as good as my Nova at the time nor the Tape as good as the El Cap. But it certainly didnt sound bland or "sterile", to my ears.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    Just been having a similar conversation with a fellow Fretboarder. Just realised my ideal would be a a DD3 with tap tempo and a couple of presets. Does this exist? Dd7 sounded too sterile for me and had the same feeling with the Timeline ..
  • mattdavis said:
    Just been having a similar conversation with a fellow Fretboarder. Just realised my ideal would be a a DD3 with tap tempo and a couple of presets. Does this exist? Dd7 sounded too sterile for me and had the same feeling with the Timeline ..
    dd-20 and the new boss multi delay thingy
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    Was thinking that 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Lose the timeline? That's a bit drastic . Get a midi switcher life is much easier. I use one of the Disaster Area switchers. 

Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    Chrono or Flight Time.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    The grass is always greener on the other side ;)

But if you are going to sell, replace with the nemesis, it's a beaut!
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    I had the same issues with the Timeline, amazing sounds loved it at home noodling and recording but gigging it was all lost so went back to a Chrono (my second) and I should have stayed there :).But then I saw a Nemesis and thought I was missing out, so sold the Chrono bought the Nemesis which is great but I use just one setting, so now that's for sale and I'm back looking for a Chrono.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited October 2016
    Yes, buy a Supa Puss and stop worrying about delay.

Actually buy two for the sale price of the Timeline.

Does delay really have to be that complicated?
  • andyoz said:
    Yes, buy a Supa Puss and stop worrying about delay.

Actually buy two for the sale price of the Timeline.

Does delay really have to be that complicated?
    Not at all, my requirements are pretty simple.

Midi
    presets
    tap tempo
    choice of tape, analog, digital or reverse

i play blues. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4559
    Yep. I think you already know you're right to sell it.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11888
    Sterile? is that another word for transparent?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Sterile? is that another word for transparent?

Yes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 395
    The Timeline has left the village for a new home......Echoplex Dunlop pedal planned.....one delay and lots of tweaking.
    Simples for me.....
  • I look forward to it arriving ;-)

i can recomend the echoplex type pedal (have a belle epoch) and they are great! The analogman ardx20 is wonderful too 
    Here is my Trader Feedback Page - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62051/
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    I don't get the "timeline has so many pre-sets so I need to get rid of it" argument. Even just using 3 or 4 makes it worth more than having 2 non pre-set delays on your pedalboard. Saying that, since picking up the analogman delay with amazeo I haven't gassed for a delay since. The chrono sounded good, flight time better, but I didn't like the usability of either. I'd stick with the timeline as it sounds like you're just gassing for gassings sake.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    Bought a chrono to a/b against my Replica. Replica for the win!
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1629
    I am a bit of a delay noob, I've tried the carbon copy (bought and sold several times because I seem to be the only person who doesn't like it so I thought I must be using it wrong) and a boss DD3. The DD3 to me seems to have a great tone where the pedal doesn't seem to alter my core tone. 

I am curious about the timeline and other pedals like it because I get how useful the banks of presets would be but on every demo I've heard of them they seem to add a sound (other than the delay that is). I'm not sure how best to describe it but i certainly don't mean transparent. 
  • JonHosker said:

1. So many presets means I forget where I am on the TL. Thinking of going simple analog...
    This is why the whole front of my board is a MIDI controller, and under the board I have a cheap NUX MIDI relay unit which switches channels on my amp. Everything else is an on/off again effect within a song, but having one-button access to all the channel/delay preset combinations makes everything simpler.

Here's the thing: it's not difficult to do, nor is it expensive. My controller of choice is the ART X-11 which can be had for about £25 on eBay, and the NUX relay unit is about £20-£25 on Amazon.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom