Peak vinyl? Should I keep or sell?

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
edited October 2016 in Off Topic
So vinyl's had a resurgence of late, that isn't news but I am considering selling some/all of my records while it's still in vogue.
Is the time right or do you think keeping them another 20 years will make them more/less valuable?

It's mostly what I bought late 80s early 90s, limited edition stuff. I have Nirvana's Australian 'Hormoaning EP' on swirly burgundy vinyl for example, a few have sold recently on eBay for upwards of £150 and that's what got me thinking. I feel that this is a passing fad and may be the last time to make money on my era of records. I have a lot of Metallica picture discs / ltd editions which I wonder might be worth more later on as the band are still going.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

Vinyl is here to stay but what records are in or out of vogue will change. Used vinyl prices vary massively and you might find your most valuable records are not what you think they are - and condition is very important. I'm surprised the Hormoaning EP is selling for so much on eBay - loads of copies on Discogs for a lot less than that.

Taking inflation into account, I reckon the value of most record collections will be pretty static in 20 years.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    DiscoStu said:
    I have Nirvana's Austalian 'Hormoaning EP' on swirly burgundy vinyl for example, a few have sold recently on eBay for upwards of £150 and that's what got me thinking.

I have that.
    Is it really worth so much?
    Damn, I will have it get it over from Oz.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    There are other reprint versions of the Hormoaning EP but the original Australian tour version on swirly vinyl is the rare one with the high value.

What about Queen's Jazz album in gatefold sleeve with the original bonus poster of booby ladies on bikes?

edited October 2016
    DiscoStu said:
    There are other reprint versions of the Hormoaning EP but the original Australian tour version on swirly vinyl is the rare one with the high value.

Yup, that is the one I have, the first pressing of the EP, red/black type of swirly vinyl and an Aussie flat got the back.
    I think it might have been '92.

Yes, I have the gatefold version of Jazz too- actually I have everyone on vinyl up to Innuendo.
    And some Beatles compilations- 1962-66 (red) and 67-70 (blue) original pressings.
    A gift from my Dad.

I'm sitting on a gold mine, eh?
    Does your Jazz have the booby ladies on bikes?
    edited October 2016
    DiscoStu said:
    Does your Jazz have the booby ladies on bikes?
    I haven't seen it for 25 years (they are in storage at my mum's) but I am pretty sure I do.

How much is that worth?
    I'll give you a bag of bonbons and my Mexico '86 sticker album for it?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Have a look here @octatonic , Hormoaning swirly vinyl sold for £150 and £165.
    DiscoStu said:
    Yup, that is what mine looks like.

I don't want to sell it now. :)
    octatonic said:
    DiscoStu said:
    Yup, that is what mine looks like.

I don't want to sell it now. :)
    I know that feeling all too well! I bought coloured vinyl and pic discs because I liked them and wanted to have them, but the reality is that they have sat in boxes for years and I could do with some sort of declutter in the house so my records are candidates right now.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    octatonic said:
    DiscoStu said:

Yup, that is the one I have, the first pressing of the EP, red/black type of swirly vinyl and an Aussie flat got the back.

Yes, I have the gatefold version of Jazz too- actually I have everyone on vinyl up to Innuendo.
    And some Beatles compilations- 1962-66 (red) and 67-70 (blue) original pressings.
    A gift from my Dad.

I'm just thinking the same thing, my parents have all the Beatles, Led Zep, Queen, Who etc from the late 60s to mid 80s. There is a cupboard 8 feet high and four feet wide full of this stuff.
    edited October 2016
    I have quite a few other things which 'feel' like they should be worth something.
    Metallica's first three albums on picture disc, Creeping Death gold vinyl, Jump In The Fire red vinyl no barcode, and loads more. All original pressings.
    Nirvana's one-day-only split 7" with The Jesus Lizard 'Puss / Oh The Guilt' on blue vinyl sounds like gold dust but it seems to go for about £20ish. Not too shabby given I bought it from new in Woolies though.

Gorgeous items like Alice In Chains' 'Jar of Flies/Sap' coloured etched vinyl are hard to let go of which is silly as it doesn't get played and rarely looked at but there's something about owning it that tickles me.
    Garthy said:
    octatonic said:
    DiscoStu said:

A gift from my Dad.

I'm just thinking the same thing, my parents have all the Beatles, Led Zep, Queen, Who etc from the late 60s to mid 80s. There is a cupboard 8 feet high and four feet wide full of this stuff.
    I didn't have a record player when I bought my vinyl, I was one of those guys who would buy a new single on all formats regardless!
    Your parents' collection is older and may be in used condition but if you have enough of it and it isn't being enjoyed then add up all those fivers and tenners just sitting there... then listen to them online!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Bear in mind vinyl has to be in excellent condition for it to be worth anything like decent money. I've got lots of albums from the 60 and 70s but it's mostly played to death/scratched/warped and/or the covers are not in great nick. I keep thinking about moving mine all on too but I'm not sure it's actually worth a lot. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    A friend of mine sold most of his Metallica collection recently.

And used the money to pay the deposit on a house in London.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Reverend said:

Is that for real?
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    DiscoStu said:
    Reverend said:

Is that for real?
    He had a serious collection. 80 different versions of Kill Em All etc.

I have a few rarities.

https://www.discogs.com/Sharon-Tate-Experience-Admiral-Sir-Cloudesley-Shovell-Christmas-Killer-Blow-Up-The-Xmas-Tree/release/5233883

Reverend said:

That is crazy.
    Is he .... normal?
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Reverend said:

A "friend".  Yeah, right.....  I know full well how much houses are in Rayners Lane....

;)