Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Roland Jazz Chorus 22

What's Hot

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    edited February 2017
    ICBM said:
    The intro to the song in the video is definitely used in another song, although annoyingly I can't find it. Any ideas?
    It's quite reminiscent of James Bay's 'Hold Back The River', although it's not the same - the phrasing and tone is similar though.

I really wanted this until I saw the price… now I'm not sure. Yes, it sounds good, but that's a lot of money for a 30W solid-state amp.
    Even at £369 its stupid money for a very small 30w 'home' SS amp with only 2 x 6.5" speakers.  Unfortunately, the jump to the JC40 in price is too big - that's £589.  But the JC40 (40 watts) is a 'proper' amp with more headroom, more volume, and proper 2x10" speakers which will give a richer, fuller tone and could be used for gigging. 

But at £369 I'm sure there are better options out there for home players. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6083
    A year ago I'd have jumped at one of these, always fancied one. Since getting the Maxon chorus cs-550 though, it's chorus sound is so superior that the appeal of the JC range has diminished (I'd still like the 40 if it weren't quite so pricey).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:

Sounds shockingly like the sort of tones I aim for, albeit with different kit. 

These are really interesting times - I was looking at selling my ac15 for a Boss Katana but then this comes up and I'm stumped. 

Also, don't you think those tones on the video are *interesting*? Like, they sound different to the tones everyone else seems to peddle these days. This really does sound like it's own box of fun. 
    The amp is neutral - great for clean jangling and jazz (I play both) and it works well for ambient noodling with delays and reverbs. The Jazz Chorus 22 is different from that other Jazz Chorus amps. Reading the blurb it has been designed as something you can craft your own sound by adding pedals or a multi FX unit from Boss/Zoom/Line 6 etc.

I've been recording with it and I must say I like the results.

I'm not the biggest fan of the od3 in the world but I know it's sound well, and I reckon the df-2 I do use would sound excellent in front of one of these. 

Sadly, just checked price - I was hoping I'd release a bit of cash to cover some expenses, but I'm not sure what my amp would fetch (it's a conversion of a ss combo by Danplifier - bloody nice, but the ac15 sound is just a bit too middy and crunchy for me).

Still,food for thought. I wonder if my years of owning a peavey bandit have tuned me into solid state sounds, but this Roland doesn't really sound like the peavey (which sounds a bit like a solid state fender) - it's just balanced, warm and pretty. 

I like it. 
  • Voxman said:
    ICBM said:
    The intro to the song in the video is definitely used in another song, although annoyingly I can't find it. Any ideas?
    It's quite reminiscent of James Bay's 'Hold Back The River', although it's not the same - the phrasing and tone is similar though.

I really wanted this until I saw the price… now I'm not sure. Yes, it sounds good, but that's a lot of money for a 30W solid-state amp.
    Even at £369 its stupid money for a very small 30w 'home' SS amp with only 2 x 6.5" speakers.  Unfortunately, the jump to the JC40 in price is too big - that's £589.  But the JC40 (40 watts) is a 'proper' amp with more headroom, more volume, and proper 2x10" speakers which will give a richer, fuller tone and could be used for gigging. 

I agree, it is overpriced, especially when compared to the Katana range.  You're paying quite a bit extra for the Jazz Chorus look and name I would imagine.  Still, it's look and portability have me interested.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    Wow. Want.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2232
    edited February 2017
    Shitcakes. I officially want a Jazz Chorus again. I'd be more likely to go for the JC40 than this. Sounds really good with the OD3 in that clip.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Shitcakes. I officially want a Jazz Chorus again. I'd be more likely to go for the JC40 than this. Sounds really good with the Boss distortion pedals (which isn't surprising).
    The JC 22 is pretty loud for home or studio and the special speakers sound ace - don't be put off by the size. The JC 40 gets into giggable territory and has more headroom but doesn't sound as good at the sort of volume you'd play at home IMHO..

The JC 22 is pricey but it's well made is a stereo amp and has an effects loop for patching in mono or stereo effects with a choice of series or parallel operation. Line Out jacks give you a convenient direct feed to a mixing console or recorder, while plugging into the headphones jack automatically mutes the onboard speakers for quiet practice sessions with phones.

If you like the JC sound go and try both and let your ears decide.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:
    Shitcakes. I officially want a Jazz Chorus again. I'd be more likely to go for the JC40 than this. Sounds really good with the Boss distortion pedals (which isn't surprising).
    The JC 22 is pretty loud for home or studio and the special speakers sound ace - don't be put off by the size. The JC 40 gets into giggable territory and has more headroom but doesn't sound as good at the sort of volume you'd play at home IMHO..

The JC 22 is pricey but it's well made is a stereo amp and has an effects loop for patching in mono or stereo effects with a choice of series or parallel operation. Line Out jacks give you a convenient direct feed to a mixing console or recorder, while plugging into the headphones jack automatically mutes the onboard speakers for quiet practice sessions with phones.

If you like the JC sound go and try both and let your ears decide.

I've had the JC40 but stupidly sold it because I wanted to stick to just the one amp (and was in the process of moving house), and I really loved it. My H9 and Timeline into the stereo inputs sounded gusset-soakingly good.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Fretwired Actually, Strymon Riverside, Timeline and H9 in stereo into a JC would be a pretty decent and simple set-up. By all accounts, the Riverside works well with that amp.
    @Fretwired Actually, Strymon Riverside, Timeline and H9 in stereo into a JC would be a pretty decent and simple set-up. By all accounts, the Riverside works well with that amp.
    I do have a Riverside and a Timeline but no H9 ...  you are right .. they do sound good together :-)

Strymon pedals have become quite pricey since the pound fell.

• Fretwired said:
    @Fretwired Actually, Strymon Riverside, Timeline and H9 in stereo into a JC would be a pretty decent and simple set-up. By all accounts, the Riverside works well with that amp.
    I do have a Riverside and a Timeline but no H9 ...  you are right .. they do sound good together :-)

They have, though I've had my TL for a while pre-£ drop. I'm intrigued to hear the Riverside with a Jazz Chorus, as it's not really been clicking with the Deluxe Reverb.
  • Voxman said:
    ICBM said:

I don't think it's expensive, if it's well built, sounds great and is stereo. 

It's cheaper than a Blues junior and that sounds like arse 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:

They have, though I've had my TL for a while pre-£ drop. I'm intrigued to hear the Riverside with a Jazz Chorus, as it's not really been clicking with the Deluxe Reverb.
    @BintyTwanger77

Check out the demos .. they use a JC 40 at 1.50 and 4.11 ..

• @Fretwired At 1.50, seems to add some really nice warmth and grit to the clean tone, and the higher gain at 4.11 sounds really good. Obviously trying it out "in the room" will be the true test, but the clip at least indicates an very good amp/pedal match.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31611
    Voxman said:
    ICBM said:

This, exactly. As ICBM and others have often said, the reason solid state amps aren't often taken seriously is because they're usually a budget option and manufacturers won't stump up for decent components or quality design. 

This amp seems to answer that, I think it sounds gorgeous in the video and it's the most tempted I've been by an amp I really don't need for years. 

It actually doesn't really cost much more than a half decent powered PA cab anyway and the Blues Jr comparison said it all. 
  • p90fool said:
    Voxman said:
    ICBM said:

This, exactly. As ICBM and others have often said, the reason solid state amps aren't often taken seriously is because they're usually a budget option and manufacturers won't stump up for decent components or quality design. 

This amp seems to answer that, I think it sounds gorgeous in the video and it's the most tempted I've been by an amp I really don't need for years. 

It actually doesn't really cost much more than a half decent powered PA cab anyway and the Blues Jr comparison said it all. 

I'll try and compare one to a katana. See if I can get some idea of what I'd prefer. 

Sure seems versatile. And it does *that* Metallica clean - whether you like the band or not the cleans they got during the master of puppets era (actually, all era really) are really something - proper piano like. 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Still have a soft spot for my JC77. Occasionally think of selling but can never bring myself to do it. Can't quite replicate that swirling chorus clean tone any other way

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    JohnPerry said:
    Still have a soft spot for my JC77. Occasionally think of selling but can never bring myself to do it. Can't quite replicate that swirling chorus clean tone any other way
    I always liked the 77 best of the original series - it had all the tone of the 120 but was a more sensible size.

p90fool said:

It does seem ironic that when someone does make a really decent solid-state amp, even I think it's a bit expensive :). To be fair I don't think it's *that* overpriced, just that it seems a bit high when compared to some other solid-state amps of higher power rating, more advanced features and at least reasonable quality - even their own ones, eg the Cube 80 which is over a hundred pounds cheaper. (But I have to say I'm not a fan of.)

I'll have to have a look at one - maybe the quality is so high that it's justified. I still think the JC-40 looks better value though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Hm.. I tried the 22 and thought it sounded quite boxy / lifeless!
  • cbellanga said:
    Hm.. I tried the 22 and thought it sounded quite boxy / lifeless!
    I A/B'd it against a JC40. Preferred the JC40.