Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Roland Jazz Chorus 22

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    cbellanga said:
    Hm.. I tried the 22 and thought it sounded quite boxy / lifeless!
    I A/B'd it against a JC40. Preferred the JC40.
    The JC 40 is an awesome amp - too loud for my music room though ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    edited February 2017
    @Fretwired After the honeymoon, do you still like it?

I'm currently looking for a smallish amp to sit beside my PC desk and had tried the Katana (which I thought was just ok - a bit overhyped, in my view - possibly because it's great value) and a Vox AV60 (they didn't have the 30 in stock) which sounded excellent, but even the 30 might be too big and it's not far off price of the JC22.

But then @Gassage got one, I found this thread, spent a lot of today on YouTube listening and since I have a handy sized Boss GT001 that I think would play nicely with the JC (stereo outs) - I'm almost pulling the trigger on one.

The 40 would definitely be too much for home. 

Convince me its worth the cash! Have you (or anyone) tried it with a modeller?

Cheers!
    Addendum: I could even run amp models in stereo, I think... Different amps in right / left speaker. The possibilities for a great home set up seem endless...
  • ICBM said:
    Veganic said:

Sounds like sonething by "Explosions in the Sky."
    Or God Is An Astronaut, or Maybeshewill… I'm convinced these are all the same band with a different cover story :).

(I like them, by the way!)
    MSW wouldn't thank you for the GIAA comparison! 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

I need a new amp, I was considering an Orange Crush RT35 but now I've seen this I'm not so sure!

I'll definitely be checking one of these out, that sounded lovely in that add. Thanks for posting.

Chuffola said:
    @Fretwired After the honeymoon, do you still like it?

I'm currently looking for a smallish amp to sit beside my PC desk and had tried the Katana (which I thought was just ok - a bit overhyped, in my view - possibly because it's great value) and a Vox AV60 (they didn't have the 30 in stock) which sounded excellent, but even the 30 might be too big and it's not far off price of the JC22.

Still love the amp and have no intention of selling it. It's so versatile, sounds great and takes pedals and amp modellers well (there's no built in distortion so you will need a dirt pedal). The latter is a major selling point for Roland - nice clean amp that doesn't colour pedals/modellers. Try one and see what you think.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6088
    Fretwired said:
    cbellanga said:
    Do you mean that the JC 40 requires a certain volume level to give its best sound and that level is too loud for home use?
    JezWynd said:
    Fretwired said:
    cbellanga said:
    Do you mean that the JC 40 requires a certain volume level to give its best sound and that level is too loud for home use?
    Basically yes ... I found the JC 22 sounded better at lower volumes and the compact size was better for the space I have. The JC 40 sounds great though.

I saw Roxy Music years ago and guitarist Phil Manzanera gigged with two JC 120's .. they were a very loud band.

Cheers for the update @Fretwired sounds like just the ticket
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited February 2017
    Another recommendation for the JC-22. I bought the JC-40 in the end but it was close. I did like the wider stereo spread of the JC-40 and the built-in distortion is actually pretty good.  

The JC-22 wins on size and portability (although the JC-40 is actually not much heavier)

Not tried either with a modeller but the Big Sky sounds fantastic through the JC-40 and I imagine through the JC-22 also

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6088
    Fretwired said:
    JezWynd said:
    Fretwired said:
    cbellanga said:
    Basically yes ... I found the JC 22 sounded better at lower volumes and the compact size was better for the space I have. The JC 40 sounds great though.

I saw Roxy Music years ago and guitarist Phil Manzanera gigged with two JC 120's .. they were a very loud band.
    Thanks for the info. I'm tempted by the JC series as they're so compact and have the exact sound I like. I'm very happy with the 2 Pathfinder 15s I currently use, though the convenience of running stereo from a single unit is very appealing.
  • Is there much benefit do you guys think of one of these over a stereo studio monitor setup? I currently an using a couple of Fostex monitors in stereo for my home playing (so hardly high quality) and they do sound pretty nice, and have the benefit of handling my vocal fx pedal in stereo and a Chromecast for me to play along to spotify, and have plugged my keyboard in too - I'm guessing that while it'd be better for guitar possibly (although I'm using speaker IRs into the monitors for the guitar) whilst I'm only ever playing at home there wouldn't be much benefit switching to one of these?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Well, I got one. Love it so far, although early days as yet.

Really stunned by the deep tone from the two 6.5" speakers - sounds like a much larger amp.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Want!
  • Bump for this thread.

I have the ££ for a JC22, I tried one with headphones and it sounded relatively very good indeed. It would definitely sort out the home/silent practice beautifully.

It also sounded fantastic as an acoustic amp, but I did get the dreaded acoustic feedback at higher volumes. Is there some kind of feedback-eliminating pedal that I could use that wouldn't affect the tone? I'm using a Guild with a Fishman undersaddle pick-up.
    Bump for this thread.

I have the ££ for a JC22, I tried one with headphones and it sounded relatively very good indeed. It would definitely sort out the home/silent practice beautifully.

It also sounded fantastic as an acoustic amp, but I did get the dreaded acoustic feedback at higher volumes. Is there some kind of feedback-eliminating pedal that I could use that wouldn't affect the tone? I'm using a Guild with a Fishman undersaddle pick-up.
    How about this ...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ScreechHalt

• Fretwired said:
    Bump for this thread.

How about this ...

Will it affect the guitar's tone, and does it matter if the pick-up is set just under the top edge of the sound hole?
    Fretwired said:
    Bump for this thread.

How about this ...

Will it affect the guitar's tone, and does it matter if the pick-up is set just under the top edge of the sound hole?
    Not according to some of the reviews.

• Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    Bump for this thread.

How about this ...

Not according to some of the reviews.

My mate tapes a cd across the sound hole if he struggles with feedback. Works well 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31621
    p90fool said:
    Voxman said:
    ICBM said:
    The intro to the song in the video is definitely used in another song, although annoyingly I can't find it. Any ideas?
    It's quite reminiscent of James Bay's 'Hold Back The River', although it's not the same - the phrasing and tone is similar though.

I really wanted this until I saw the price… now I'm not sure. Yes, it sounds good, but that's a lot of money for a 30W solid-state amp.
    Even at £369 its stupid money for a very small 30w 'home' SS amp with only 2 x 6.5" speakers.  Unfortunately, the jump to the JC40 in price is too big - that's £589.  But the JC40 (40 watts) is a 'proper' amp with more headroom, more volume, and proper 2x10" speakers which will give a richer, fuller tone and could be used for gigging. 

But at £369 I'm sure there are better options out there for home players. 

I don't think it's expensive, if it's well built, sounds great and is stereo. 

It's cheaper than a Blues junior and that sounds like arse 
    This, exactly. As ICBM and others have often said, the reason solid state amps aren't often taken seriously is because they're usually a budget option and manufacturers won't stump up for decent components or quality design. 

This amp seems to answer that, I think it sounds gorgeous in the video and it's the most tempted I've been by an amp I really don't need for years. 

It actually doesn't really cost much more than a half decent powered PA cab anyway and the Blues Jr comparison said it all. 
    To update myself here, no I didn't need one but I bought it anyway and absolutely love it. 

If anyone is concerned whether it'll be tough to match it with an overdrive pedal I can confirm that the usual cheap suspects work very well, Nobels ODR-1, Joyo OCD clone and most especially the Bad Monkey are excellent. 

I'll do some kind of crappy video when I get a chance. :)