Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best small modeller?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27091
Currently have a Mustang 1 which gets used approximately once a year.

I'm aware that's now at least 5 years old so figure the game's moved on. What's good? Nice warm clean/crunch sounds a priority. A bit of delay is good, though I'm aware I can't expect Timefactor functionality in anything at that end of the market. 

Are those new Spiders out yet?
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

I'm aware that's now at least 5 years old so figure the game's moved on. What's good? Nice warm clean/crunch sounds a priority. A bit of delay is good, though I'm aware I can't expect Timefactor functionality in anything at that end of the market. 

Yes they are and the sound quite good. Probably a good place to start.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27091
    I mostly suggested it because there's half a chance I can get one easily here without importing.

Otherwise the Yamaha THRs still look like the king of the living room I guess. Never quite clicked with the ones I tried. 
    I mostly suggested it because there's half a chance I can get one easily here without importing.

Otherwise the Yamaha THRs still look like the king of the living room I guess. Never quite clicked with the ones I tried. 
    I found I got better sounds when I used the software and a PC inspired by this video:

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Never tried one but I thought the Mustang was supposed to be quite good.
    Do you think having a different modeller would mean you'd use it more or is it something about modellers you don't like?
  • Hard pressed to see past the THR10 range. It's incredible for its size. Get some great tones just on the amp but if you tweak through the PC settings, then it comes alive even more. 
    Sassafras said:
    Never tried one but I thought the Mustang was supposed to be quite good.
    Do you think having a different modeller would mean you'd use it more or is it something about modellers you don't like?
    The Mustang is still really good for an £80 practice amp!! It's just a little boxy/honky sounding, which is almost inevitable for the size and design, hence Line 6 going FRFR for the new Spiders. 

I'm playing through it now - it's far from bad. I'm just in grass-is-greener mode I think!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    edited October 2016
    Fretwired said:

It may be new out but as far as I can tell it uses POD tech from 6 years ago, so your Mustang still probably beats it for advancement. Demos sound poor IMO, it's a thinly disguised regurgitation.

I quite like the Mustang for clean and low gain stuff, not sure it can be bettered for the price, the game really hasn't moved on in this price bracket. The Vox stuff might also be worth trying. For higher gain the new Boss Katana is intriguing, some demos sound better than others, but not heard much of the cleaner stuff on it.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4701
    VOX AV15 or 30.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I got the Vox VT20X last month and it's incredible for using at home.
    The amps models sound really good and the way it works with the on screen editor is just so simple.

I have 8 user slots which i saved 8 useable sounds to and that's that, i just use the volume (power) dial and those 8 buttons now, unless i'm trying to create something new which isn't often.

£170.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    As said THR is still the game to beat for a home amp in my mind, only complaint is I would like all three in one box :-)
    I own a classic and the original.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    dindude said:
    Fretwired said:

It may be new out but as far as I can tell it uses POD tech from 6 years ago, so your Mustang still probably beats it for advancement. Demos sound poor IMO, it's a thinly disguised regurgitation.

I quite like the Mustang for clean and low gain stuff, not sure it can be bettered for the price, the game really hasn't moved on in this price bracket. The Vox stuff might also be worth trying. For higher gain the new Boss Katana is intriguing, some demos sound better than others, but not heard much of the cleaner stuff on it.
    I wondered that but apparently the new Spiders have remodelled amps and effects. It's not ancient tech .. they do sound good.

What will be interesting is to see how well the new Spiders take pedals. That is one thing the Mustang is really pretty decent at - TS-alike plugged into a nice blackface model does sound good, despite the boxiness.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Fretwired said:
    dindude said:
    Fretwired said:

I wondered that but apparently the new Spiders have remodelled amps and effects. It's not ancient tech .. they do sound good.
    I'm not convinced, where does the apparently bit come from. I can't see it in the blurb, and we all know that it would be shouted from the rooftops if they had invested in new modelling. Sorry I'm just a bit cynical. If it sounds good then I guess it doesn't really matter, but the recent Andertons demos sounded horrible.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I'm interested in the new Boss Katana's. For a home amp. Prices look good and a 12" speaker across the range
    dindude said:
    Fretwired said:
    dindude said:
    Fretwired said:

I'm not convinced, where does the apparently bit come from. I can't see it in the blurb, and we all know that it would be shouted from the rooftops if they had invested in new modelling. Sorry I'm just a bit cynical. If it sounds good then I guess it doesn't really matter, but the recent Andertons demos sounded horrible.
    Line 6 blurb:

Featuring a huge collection of upgraded amp and effects models, a clean and modern design, and a specialized full-range speaker system, Spider® V sounds great and is easy to use—it’s the most impressive Spider ever.

The general consensus is the new amps sound much better than the old ones ..

http://uk.line6.com/amps/

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    If it was me choosing it'd be a THR.

Or you could just fuck it all off and get a Diezel VH4.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Bucket said:
    If it was me choosing it'd be a THR.

Or you could just fuck it all off and get a Diezel VH4.
    :D 
    Thing is, I do already have a Bad Cat on order..! 

Im probably not going to buy anything but I will have a demo of a new Spider if they have one in the shops here
  • Twiggy?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited October 2016
    Another vote for the compact yamahas I went for the THR10C (blues focused) and its superb, very easy to use. 
    I use mine more than my big(er) rig now. If you demo in a big shop it may not sound too impressive but in a normal UK sized house it will sound larger than life. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Am I the only one that hates the way the THR looks?
    I like my amps to look like amps, not toasters.

Never played one so I've no idea how they sound.