Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best small modeller?

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27080
    I quite like the physical design of the THRs, but the beige-ness is awful. 

I'm actually very surprised they haven't done limited runs in other colours.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746

I see that nobody has mentioned the marshall code then........

<tumbleweed>

• I quite like the physical design of the THRs, but the beige-ness is awful. 

I'm actually very surprised they haven't done limited runs in other colours.
    They do them in other colours, but they denote different models.

The C model (classic)

The X model (high gain)

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27080
    @guitarfishbay Yeah, but I'm talking Fiesta Red or Sonic Blue with chrome ends. Or brushed aluminium like an Airstream trailer or something. That'd be great!

Do the Yamahas have a iOS app? I'm generally not in favour of gear that might get obsolete but for couch playing it's be great. Do they take drives well or horribly?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Nothing wrong with those Mustangs for the money. I used to have one. I don't think there are any stellar upgrades out there for the money. Not low to low mid anyway.
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    gubble said:

I see that nobody has mentioned the marshall code then........

<tumbleweed>

They start at 25 watts which some might find too loud for home use as the speaker need to be driven a bit. Plus the OP has a Fender and may not like the sound of Marshalls.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • I have a little Blackstar ID Core 20. I think it sounds fantastic, lovely use of stereo to put you in the middle of the sound. The six amp tones all sound good, as do the effects. It's a neat easy to use little package. I've just given it to my nine year old son whose taking his first electric steps, he loves it.

• Another vote for the THR here, just the normal one mate.  Works well with pedals although, if you want high gain, you'd be better off with the high gain model. 

• Fretwired said:
    I mostly suggested it because there's half a chance I can get one easily here without importing.

Otherwise the Yamaha THRs still look like the king of the living room I guess. Never quite clicked with the ones I tried. 
    I found I got better sounds when I used the software and a PC inspired by this video:

yeah you really need to go into the deep editing with the software on the THR to get the best sounds.  If you don't then you're missing out on it. 

• SRichSRich Frets: 762
    I'd +1 on the THR10C....I bought one from this parish (thanks @Gassage) and it's a little star.

Keep an eye on the classifieds - they come up from time to time.

Takes pedals really well.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    @guitarfishbay Yeah, but I'm talking Fiesta Red or Sonic Blue with chrome ends. Or brushed aluminium like an Airstream trailer or something. That'd be great!

Do the Yamahas have a iOS app? I'm generally not in favour of gear that might get obsolete but for couch playing it's be great. Do they take drives well or horribly?

I like the idea of a brushed aluminium one. Like those valve amps in an aluminium cabinet. Are they called Dickinson amps, I think?
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Having owned, and sold, a THR10C, I'd recommend trying Vox.  Their modelling amps do the AC15/30 thing very well and the Fender tweed/blackface acceptably.  I can also get away with the heavier settings if I'm having a bit of a Green Day moment.  I think the speakers are very well chosen on all the cheaper Vox stuff which makes them sound much more like a 'real' amp than the THRs.  Fwiw, I currently have the DA-5 and a VT20+.
  • Off to try out a Boss Katana today.  £249 for a 100w 1x12, tons of built in effects.  Switchable power output.
    Sounds too good to be true.  Hoping it will be a good practice amp, backup to my main rig.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Amplifire me thinks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    @CountryDave let us know how you get on with the Katana please.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    ennspek said:
    @CountryDave let us know how you get on with the Katana please.
    I'd be interested too.  They look a lot of amp for the money
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    The new Spiders look great as well though

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The new Spiders have a zillion features I wouldn't use, are a lump more money when you get up to the bigger models with decent sized speakers. 
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 853
    edited October 2016
    Picked up the Katana yesterday (decided on the 50 watt version, the 100 has more features, but figure as a practice/backup/gigging amp the 50w has what I need) and managed to get an hour with it.  Lots of different settings available from the panel - Clean, Crunch, Lead, Brown and Acoustic settings, 3 band EQ, 3 lots of inbuilt effects - drives, modulation and reverbs.  I understand that you can add settings from the interweb via USB, but not had chance to try that yet.
    Unfortunately I'm out of the country from today for a few days so it's likely to be net weekend before I get a proper play.
    My mate tried it briefly and is gutted that he recently bought a Blackstar ID for the same reasons I got this.

£165!!, couple of half decent pedals would cost that.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Heard very good things about the Amplifire from an ex eleven rack and nova system owner. Who actually gave me the advice rather than sell me an item ;)