Paul Gilbert at The Garage, London 3/11/16 - anyone going?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• joneve said:

Marble Factory is a cool venue though! 

You ever been to the Convent in stroud for a gig? I live just over Painswick hill in Brockworth, and there's a couple of guys playing there in december I'm hoping to catch. looks like an ace venue, but was wondering about the acoustics. 
    I haven't yet - looks really nice though, and they've had some big(ish) names there. I ought to pop along sometime. Don't know if you've seen it, but there's another place in Stroud now too - Unit 2 on the a46, it's by that Salmon Springs post office place. It's a rehearsal/recording place, but they do gigs there too. Nice guys who run it as well. Music scene here is definitely better than Cheltenham !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    joneve said:

Marble Factory is a cool venue though! 

You ever been to the Convent in stroud for a gig? I live just over Painswick hill in Brockworth, and there's a couple of guys playing there in december I'm hoping to catch. looks like an ace venue, but was wondering about the acoustics. 
    I haven't yet - looks really nice though, and they've had some big(ish) names there. I ought to pop along sometime. Don't know if you've seen it, but there's another place in Stroud now too - Unit 2 on the a46, it's by that Salmon Springs post office place. It's a rehearsal/recording place, but they do gigs there too. Nice guys who run it as well. Music scene here is definitely better than Cheltenham !
    Not difficult though is it? haha. 

Hoping to catch Boo Hewerdine at the Convent if he confirms the date in December. Will keep an eye on the place at Salmon Springs, good to know. 

there's a really cool acoustic venue in Cricklade (of all places!) now too. 
  • I enjoyed the gig for what it was worth, but found that an hour between doors opening and him coming on was a bit much. It did strike me how much 'more' the songs were with lyrics in them - I'd always known that vocal songs are generally more powerful and easier to connect with but the A/B was cute.

What was the problem with the bass drum in the end? I ducked out before the finale, did they make up for it?
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    I enjoyed the gig for what it was worth, but found that an hour between doors opening and him coming on was a bit much. It did strike me how much 'more' the songs were with lyrics in them - I'd always known that vocal songs are generally more powerful and easier to connect with but the A/B was cute.

What was the problem with the bass drum in the end? I ducked out before the finale, did they make up for it?
    If he was an hour late, I might go tonight, as I can't make it on time :)
  • Someone posted a recording of his Marble Factory gig on Dimeadozen, sounds alright - 

https://audioboom.com/posts/5248085-paul-gilbert-svt

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Elx said:
    I enjoyed the gig for what it was worth, but found that an hour between doors opening and him coming on was a bit much. It did strike me how much 'more' the songs were with lyrics in them - I'd always known that vocal songs are generally more powerful and easier to connect with but the A/B was cute.

@elx If I understood William correctly, PG wasn't an hour late going onstage; the wait between the audience being admitted to the venue and the band going on stage was too long in @William Williamson's estimation.

Did you go in the end?

DLM said:
    Elx said:

@elx If I understood William correctly, PG wasn't an hour late going onstage; the wait between the audience being admitted to the venue and the band going on stage was too long in @William Williamson's estimation.

Did you go in the end?

No, but I did go to UFO the night before, only because of Vinnie Moore of course ;) I love Gilbert but unfortunately had other things to attend to last night...
    @Elx Do they let Vinman do any of his solo stuff live?
    DLM said:
    @Elx Do they let Vinman do any of his solo stuff live?
    I don't know, I left after 45 min, I had an emergency at home. But I don't think so...Vinnie's great, I've always loved his playing...
    @elx Oh shit man, hope you and yours are all OK!

Yeah, I know he was a big influence on you. He didn't get to me the same way MacAlpine did, heard them both for the first time the same day, and Freedom To Fly was just massive for me instantly.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    @Nunogilberto ;

I was at the The Globe gig too, it was most excellent!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Jetfire Yes it was a great gig. I was stage right, down at the front near the bassist, getting blasted by the PA stack...
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I was on Pauls side, talking loudly to the only Scotsman in the building!