NAD (It's here) - I've gone Katana!

What's Hot
LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 909
edited November 2016 in Amps
Very impressed with the vids - it was actually the Clappers&Craptain one that made nme do it...the cleans sound GREAT!

Hopefully it'll be here tomorrow so I'll give it a run through and mini-review when I can
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FRockStarFRockStar Frets: 140
    Which one did you get? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gone for the 100w 1 x 12 - hoping it's got the guts for gigs!   I currently use a Fender Frontman 212 with Celestion V Type speakers which could destroy a small town.  At Saturday's gig I was on 1/10 and got told we were too loud...!
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Keeping an eye on this thread as im seriously interested in one of these.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2234
    edited October 2016
    I've had half an eye on this as well. Would be interested to hear about the built-in effects as well.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Very impressed with the vids - it was actually the Clappers&Craptain one that made nme do it...the cleans sound GREAT!

Hopefully it'll be here tomorrow so I'll give it a run through and mini-review when I can :)

Chappers and clean sounds aren't words normally heard in the same sentence.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27182
    Very interested in this. Hope it's good!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Rather tempted by the head myself. They aren't in stock until mid November. 

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited October 2016
    Nice one. The captain and other guy who isn't choppers, video tempted me, I'll admit!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• It's now a NAD.  It's here (and it's tiny!) sadly I'm at work so don't get to try it till later...slowest day ever!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    Looks like a downsized blackstar ID
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Just tried one (50w combo) and I'm seriously impressed, the cleans and mid drives are very convincing, the fx are laid out reasonably sensibly, you can't have a Blues driver boost AND a phaser for example.

Goosing the front of the clean on edge of breakup with the overdrive is pretty sweet, power scaling feature works well, there's a standby option which I'm not entirely sure why it's there?  

I wouldnt go as far as to say it's giggable, maybe for someone who doesn't need really clean cleans, and has a tame drummer, or always mics up. 

But for home noodling and jams, it's ideal. 
    Lightweight, great sounds, tonally obliterated the Blackstar ID60 next to it and gave the VOX Ac15 a fair going over too.  

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Just tried one (50w combo) and I'm seriously impressed, the cleans and mid drives are very convincing, the fx are laid out reasonably sensibly, you can't have a Blues driver boost AND a phaser for example.

Goosing the front of the clean on edge of breakup with the overdrive is pretty sweet, power scaling feature works well, there's a standby option which I'm not entirely sure why it's there?  

I wouldnt go as far as to say it's giggable, maybe for someone who doesn't need really clean cleans, and has a tame drummer, or always mics up. 

Lightweight, great sounds, tonally obliterated the Blackstar ID60 next to it and gave the VOX Ac15 a fair going over too.  

This is what I wanted to hear. I seen the video reviews on youtube but its good to see a little write up like that. Just got to get round to selling the Lil Night train and Jet City 1x12  cab :)
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • I've heard more than one person say they don't understand why the standby switch is there, but surely it's so that you can leave the master where you need it instead of zeroing it every time you switch off? That's especially useful at bedroom levels IMO, and something that the Blues Cubes could use.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Just tried one (50w combo) and I'm seriously impressed, the cleans and mid drives are very convincing, the fx are laid out reasonably sensibly, you can't have a Blues driver boost AND a phaser for example.

You can have the driver and the phaser I believe. But it requires using the USB connection to a computer so you can set the FX to a different section. That way I think you can have it instead of a delay and still use a boost. 

• Okay, I've been able to have a play!

The Good Stuff:

Pretty Light

Pretty Loud

The clean and crunch both sounded good - the others aren't really my thing so I'm not best placed to comment.

The FX seem good - annoying to have to spend £80 on a foot switch as without this I think they are pretty useless in a live setting - reverb and Blues Driver both seem to work well.

The tilt back stand is cack - it'd be more stable with a packet of fags wedged under the front.

Build seems ok but feels cheap (it is) compared to other amps in the bracket - not as rugged feeling as the early Cubes but should be fine once I have a HotCovers cover made for it.

I need more time at greater volumes to really give it a run out but overall I'd say I'm fairly happy with it.
  • How does it sound at low volumes? 
  • Pretty good - when you flick it from 100 or 50w, it can sound a little waspy but if you bring the channel volume up a little it fattens back out again.

It's nowhere near the Yamaha THR for ultra low volume tones IMO but perfectly usable.
  • Pretty good - when you flick it from 100 or 50w, it can sound a little waspy but if you bring the channel volume up a little it fattens back out again.

It's nowhere near the Yamaha THR for ultra low volume tones IMO but perfectly usable.
    Cheers for the info. 

You are kidding right? 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.

You are kidding right? 

Nope? What makes you say that?