Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Fretboards very own Axe FX II VERSUS Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11991
    Clarky said:

I loved my VG99, but the amp modelling was pitiful

My favourite tricks were insane tunings, and the bass emulator, but in the end I sold it on, and started using tunings on real guitars instead

I wish my AF2 could do multi-string retunes

yeah... the VG-99 modelling ain't all that acurate when compared to the Axe...

so... I chose to ignore the names of the models and forget that they were trying to be someone specific..

so then I simply thought of them in terms of clean, mid-gain, hi-gain etc models and screw what their names are..

armed with that approach I managed to crate some stonking tones..

I think the trap with modelling is getting so hung up on the fact that the JCM800 must sound so exactly like a JCM800 that some folk actually forget to use a modeller to carve their own voice..

scew all that... find the things you like.. config until you love what you hear..

but most of all.. spend more time playing than writing huge dissertations about how the bloom of a palm muted note for a JCM800 model minutely differs from the real one...

and so the anal microscope overrides the musician...

Even when it was new, there was only 3 amp sounds on it I liked. I agree about not worrying about specific real amps, but in the end there seemed little point if all I did was tune a GK guitar as DADGAD, or my weird Pat Metheny-esque tuning AEAAAD.

Instead I sold the Roland strat and tuned a Strat to DADGAD

About time I tuned a guitar to AEAAAD now. I reckon 64 52 42 20 17 13

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Well I'm disappointed that Kemper hasn't released a foot controller. A shame, but I'm sure one will come this year.
  • Well, @Drew_FX, if that is your real name, I'm disappointed that TNBD hasn't covered Boats "N Hoes.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

:))
  • jesonejesone Frets: 60
    edited January 2014
    I'm currently debating whether to go down the Kemper or Axe road so this has been an interesting thread to follow. I'd be keen to hear whether those in the know would suggest that, for home playing, studio monitors with 8" woofers are rally necessary. I'm looking at the Yamaha hs8's and hs7's. Classic rock, blues, and covers is my area so not a metal zone. Regards John
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4305
    Last weekend, well Friday, I had opportunity to call in at Andertons to try the Kemper. I took my own guitar as reference, but really should have taken my own amp and cab as reference as well and plugged in through the poweramp. The demo was set up with the powered Kemper playing through a crappy little Blackstar 1x12.

We spent quite a while figuring it out (me and my mate), the guy demoing didn't really know how it worked (first off couldn't get any sound as he'd plugged in to the headphone socket!) so we were left to experiment on our won, there wasnt room for him in the demo booth anyway. We did find that there were some Ampfactory profiles on it even though when i'd phone prior they said they didn't have any installed. We cycled through the factory standard profiles finding few that were of any quality. We eventually found TAF profiles at the end of  the list and some sounded OK, even quite decent, but to be frank I was completely underwhelmed. Not £1800's worth by a long way.

The only way I'm going to be even slightly interested in trying a Kemper again is if I can try it properly powered up through a good cab. For now GAS abated  (though I am now badly gassing to build a Marshall 2144 clone after having heard and played through Aynsley Listers' white one at his masterclass weekend).

And if anyone says that to get the best out of one of these you have to go FRFR, then that will rule it out for me.

FWIW, we did find it quite easy to tweak, even though we had never seen one before so that aspect of the Kemper is appealing. I have already ruled out the A-FX on complexity grounds. Indeed I am coming to the conclusion that I prefer my valve amps simple as well. I find myself always tweaking my Redplate Blackverb, throwing switches, testing different settings, now I think I prefer less versatility!.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    Something worth considering is the rate of evolution of the Axe FX ecosystem vs the rate of evolution of the Kemper.

IMHO there is no comparison.

• I don't get this whole complexity of the AF2. It's as hard or easy as you want to make it. I'm not really into the deep editing of the Amps ,although I do it on the odd occasion.

I think that I've only gone into the in depth amp tweakery once in all the times of demoing it.
    I don't get this whole complexity of the AF2. It's as hard or easy as you want to make it. I'm not really into the deep editing of the Amps ,although I do it on the odd occasion.

I think that I've only gone into the in depth amp tweakery once in all the times of demoing it.
    I think it really comes down to the amount of controls on the front - Kemper has lots of knobs for specific tasks. Axe has way fewer knobs, and you as the user have to set them up to be the controls you want them to be. Hence if you're at a live show and you want to tweak something that isn't on the macro knobs... you need to go through the menus and the block matrix - thus complexity.

I don't think anyone would seriously suggest the Axe FX is easier to use than the Kemper.

I know at one point you couldn't assign midi cc's to quite a number of the amp controls. I don't know if this was fixed in the latest version of Axe FX edit.
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 746
    edited January 2014
    hywelg;144278" said:
    Last weekend, well Friday, I had opportunity to call in at Andertons to try the Kemper. I took my own guitar as reference, but really should have taken my own amp and cab as reference as well and plugged in through the poweramp. The demo was set up with the powered Kemper playing through a crappy little Blackstar 1x12.

We spent quite a while figuring it out (me and my mate), the guy demoing didn't really know how it worked (first off couldn't get any sound as he'd plugged in to the headphone socket!) so we were left to experiment on our won, there wasnt room for him in the demo booth anyway. We did find that there were some Ampfactory profiles on it even though when i'd phone prior they said they didn't have any installed. We cycled through the factory standard profiles finding few that were of any quality. We eventually found TAF profiles at the end of  the list and some sounded OK, even quite decent, but to be frank I was completely underwhelmed. Not £1800's worth by a long way.

The only way I'm going to be even slightly interested in trying a Kemper again is if I can try it properly powered up through a good cab. For now GAS abated  (though I am now badly gassing to build a Marshall 2144 clone after having heard and played through Aynsley Listers' white one at his masterclass weekend).

And if anyone says that to get the best out of one of these you have to go FRFR, then that will rule it out for me.

FWIW, we did find it quite easy to tweak, even though we had never seen one before so that aspect of the Kemper is appealing. I have already ruled out the A-FX on complexity grounds. Indeed I am coming to the conclusion that I prefer my valve amps simple as well. I find myself always tweaking my Redplate Blackverb, throwing switches, testing different settings, now I think I prefer less versatility!.
    @hywelg
    Jesus. "The Captain" needs to have words with that sales guy. A potential customer to the tune of £1800 and you are given someone who can't use it and a speaker cab that won't show it at its best?! Did you turn off cab sims by the way?! Seriously they should have demoed it through more cabs and an frfr system and got someone who knew what he was doing onto it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Why do they call him "The Captain"? Maybe that is for another thread?
  • IslandapeIslandape Frets: 64
    edited January 2014
    Why do they call him "The Captain"? Maybe that is for another thread?
    Self censored as I might want to buy from Andertons again...
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    kinda poor though not being able to give the customer the best possible experience..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • Clarky said:
    kinda poor though not being able to give the customer the best possible experience..
    Or even a happy ending? :P
    or anything at by the sound of it
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7964
    edited January 2014
    http://www.fractalaudio.com/announcing-axe-fx-ii-xl.php Edit:removed copy paste as formatting didn't carry over when posted using my phone.
  • Nice upgrades, Shane they haven't increased the DSP horsepower though.

that's what I thought.. if they had, my Axe would be up for sale and the new one on the way...

although the extras look pretty cool, there's not enough there to make me want to upgrade..

so if I'd be getting a 2nd unit it'd be because I'd be getting a 2nd one anyhow..

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11991
    no important changes I can see there
  • I believe the main thing is that it's got more memory, which is alleged a biggy.