Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Fretboards very own Axe FX II VERSUS Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11991
    I believe the main thing is that it's got more memory, which is alleged a biggy.
    too many patches already. the emergency restore option looks like a useful Pro feature though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Given some of the issues you guys on here have had after updates, I would say the emergency restore option is a necessity at least as an insurance policy.

I wonder if you have had to tweak patches for the new update, how the restore handles them, (ie. reset or leave?), and whether you can easily step back to the update and continue work until you are fully confident with it?  I hope that makes some sense.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •  ...the emergency restore option looks like a useful Pro feature though
    A Pro feature my arse!  It should be a standard in the AF2.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    That is a pretty weird update, if I may say so.
  • octatonic said:
    Why?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8766
    I believe the main thing is that it's got more memory, which is alleged a biggy.
    For less money you could free up memory in the FX II by using a second hand Standard or Ultra to run some of the effects. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    it's not that sort of memory... so you'll not get any cpu benefits.. you'll simply be able to store more presets plus have an emergency boot capability
    play every note as if it were your first
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited January 2014
    Clarky said:
    it's not that sort of memory... so you'll not get any cpu benefits.. you'll simply be able to store more presets plus have an emergency boot capability
    Emergency boot capability?!  If you ever meet anyone whose needed that give me a shout. ;)
    EPROM anyone???
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Meh. Sucky updates all around this month, with a slight edge towards the Kemper, because they actually seem useful to some people.
    edited January 2014

I wouldn't say that...

the soon to be released fw 13.0 has some serious stuff in it..

the 12.04b poweramp enhancements are stunning [we got those a week or two ago]

and 13.0 will also contain the new mono "ultra-res" cab blocks - these are new very high resolution cabs and are supposed to be that latest / greatest cab IR's out there..

and the killer thing with your tones is matching the amp to the cab.. bad cab IR's [or cab IR choices] will kill the tone of the most amazing amp.. these new ultra-res cabs are supposed to be stunning..

so I'm looking forward to this one [for studio reamping in my case]

octatonic said:
    Why?
    I get why they are doing it but it just isn't much of an incentive for existing users to update.
    It would be great to be able to use an XLR cable to connect the MFC to the Axe FX, but it isn't worth it to me to sell the AFX2 and get the new one.
  • octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    Why?
    I get why they are doing it but it just isn't much of an incentive for existing users to update.
    It would be great to be able to use an XLR cable to connect the MFC to the Axe FX, but it isn't worth it to me to sell the AFX2 and get the new one.
    My misunderstanding: I thought you were talking about the emergency reboot.  It is a PITA to reboot without it.

BTW, have you got a boot EPROM?
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    Why?
    My misunderstanding: I thought you were talking about the emergency reboot.  It is a PITA to reboot without it.

BTW, have you got a boot EPROM?
    No idea- how do I tell?
    you'd have sent off and had a new EPROM delivered from either FAS or G66 cos your Axe died...
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited January 2014
    @Octatonic, you'll know if your connection to the AF2 flubs while you're doing an update. You'll then be in a studio looking very stupid while holding a £2K novelty paperweight! Oh no, that wasn't you: That was me. Grrrrr.  You can do nothing with it until you get a boot EPROM.

Saying that, G66 sent me an EPROM rapidly, and I'd expect that they'd do the same for you if you were to tell them that you fired up your AF2 and the lights and display illuminated and graphics or sound.
    Ah right- no that has never happened to me.

I'm mostly guitar building at the moment so it isn't something I'll need unless it happens.
    Cheers for the info.
  • Surely a Peavey Bandit would do. :)

I'm really intrigued to try the Axe - less so the Kemper - but it's a major investment and I know I would never play the guitar again, other than to use it to test changes to patches. :)

as always with units like this…
    task number 1 is to nail all the tones / functionality you need to get you through a gig / practice session
    once you've done this.. stop goofing with it until some new killer feature comes out that'll make your gigging / practice life seriously better..
    task number 2 is to nail your reamping tones [if that's how your record]

once you've done this.. you just play guitar and leave well alone..
    of course it's always fun from time to time to goof around and try making some interesting / unusual sounds.. or to try to recreate the sounds of your heroes.. etc… this sort of noodling also helps you to learn the unit..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Well I'm willing to bring my AF2 to the Great British Guitar Show, is someone willing to bring a KPA?