SOLO of the Month #21 - Chat

What's Hot
Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
edited November 2016 in Making Music
This is the 21st SOLO of the Month (SotM) Challenge, being run by @Antique_Guitars and @TTony

We give you a new backing track to solo over every month. The backing track will be a maximum of 1.5mins long. 

You download the track from our soundcloud page, record your solo over the top of it and then submit it to us.

Challenge #21 is now open, and remains open for submissions until 24th November. 
Voting opens on the 25th of the month, and closes on the last day of the month, when the winner will be announced.

Here is this months backing track (you can download it from soundcloud) 

Send your tracks to solos@theFB.co.uk 

The tracks will be uploaded to our SoundCloud account and saved in a playlist that will be linked below
https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm-21-2016-11
Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I can't seem to find/select the download option, is it possible its not ticked on soundcloud?
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    I love that song! Makes it difficult to hear past that and think of a new solo though ...

Thanks again @stratman3142 ;
  • I'm ashamed to say I didn't know it was Paul Carrack on that tune until this moment! 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    Even worse here... I'm ashamed to admit I don't know how to download it. I tried clicking on "share" and then on "share to Email"... so, sorry for being an utter brute, but how can I download the backing track?
  • @Antique_Guitars - the download function needs turning on.

It's usually under the ---More button.
  • Hmm thought I had mad it downloadable 
    Old Is Gold
  • It is available now 
    Old Is Gold
  • Are we allowed to change the key/pitch of the backing track? I don't like Cm.
  • Are we allowed to change the key/pitch of the backing track? I don't like Cm.
    Perhaps you could pitch shift it to the key you want it in to do your solo. Then pitch shift it back again after you've done your solo. I'm not sure that anyone would be any the wiser :) 
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2016
    Are we allowed to change the key/pitch of the backing track? I don't like Cm.
    I would have said that you can do what you want - and people can vote for what they want :)

<edit>Actually, wis'd what @stratman3142 said, that's a good idea! 
  • Doesn't that somewhat defeat the challenge aspect?

anyhow.. been neglecting this for a while, so thought I'd stump up an entry. already sent in :) fancied a jam!
  • Learned a valuable lesson today:
    I spent a fair bit of time constructing something for this months solo; played in pieces until it was right in time and in tune. Then lost the lot when the DAW crashed!
    In my frustration decided to just blag something. I knew i wanted to start of with the Fuzz and then come in with the Vibe so I did that in two separate takes (my Zoom G3 isn't on the floor for me to use the footswitch).
    It's a bit noodley but i think it's alright.
    Good Luck all. Look forward to hearing your take on it.
    Entry on way...
  • As long as pitch shifting isn't used to cheat I reckon it's fine.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• As long as pitch shifting isn't used to cheat I reckon it's fine.

As long as you lot don't discover my creation, the "Note Shift" Technology I use. It puts all the wrong notes in the right order to create the right notes in the right order.......oh damn, rumbled now ;)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    How's everyone getting along with this month's entry? I found it hard to come up with something meaningful, because the backing track is so 'open', but spent all day today and half of yesterday too on stuff, and I'll reflect/ponder over it a little before sending off, since I've been on the ball and its only the 6th so far!
    Blimey, we've got a lot of keen people this month! I haven't even started yet, although I've been singing it in my head and trying to avoid just singing the original solo.
  • markv said:
    Blimey, we've got a lot of keen people this month! I haven't even started yet, although I've been singing it in my head and trying to avoid just singing the original solo.
    I didn't listen to the original for that very reason.
    When I first listened to the backing, i thought the same as Paul. It doesn't really change until the end and then it cuts off, but once I listened to it a few times i started hearing a simple theme and worked around that.
    I've never heard the original. It would be ironic if I listened to it and found out it was note-for-note exactly the same!
  • I appear to have left some silence at the end of my track. Apologies for that
    I knew the original well anyway, but I think this is an interesting and slightly different challenge to our usual. In all previous months, the piece we were soloing to has no context to root the solo in. I like the fact that here I can (potentially) reference bits of the melody, which is what I would try and do if I was asked to add a solo to someone else's song.