Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD: Les Paul Custom

What's Hot
xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
edited November 2016 in Guitar
Just taken delivery of a Les Paul Custom that I bought on eBay. It arrived via Parcelforce so I was preparing myself to discover that I'd bought several pieces of Les Paul, but apart from coming out of the case at approximately -200°C everything seems to be in order.

Picture here (it's on Instagram so I don't think I can embed it).

I'm trying to decide whether to keep the pickguard on or off, and (when I inevitably change the pickups) whether to go open coil or covered humbuckers. Please post pictures of customs in all configurations to help me decide!

First impressions are that it's way lighter than my other Les Paul and much more midrangey both acoustically and plugged in.

Serial number is CS-3xxxxx, which I believe makes it a 2003. I don't know whether it's an all mahogany body for that year or a mahogany/maple job. From the acoustic tone, I'd guess mahogany. Can anyone tell me for sure?
My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Happy NGD Customs are the best!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Gooooooorgeous.

Black Customs are purest win.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm really happy with it so far. Not letting myself play it too much because I have a few rewrites to do on my PhD thesis. I've bought it as a bribe to myself to get the thesis done. I'm going to hide it under a bed at my mum's house and not let myself touch it again until I've finished!

It weighs about a kilo less than my old R4 black beauty, which my back is happy about.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 926
    Wow.
  • Lovely!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5636
    Sweet. Keep that pickguard and the pickup covers on.
  • Brize said:
    Sweet. Keep that pickguard and the pickup covers on.
    Sorry Brize, I'm leaning strongly towards the opposite conclusion! 
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2813
    Very nice.

I imagine you've just typed........"So in conclusion then and having considered all the arguments...........". 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4348
    Good man. I really miss my black Custom.

And removing the pick guard shouldn't even be a consideration! It's a Custom, not a Standard 'Burst ;)

Enjoy!!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4781
    edited November 2016
    HNGD - can't beat a LP Custom in ebony with gold hardware for classic rock 'n roll looks!  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6807
    Every ex BIMM students needs one of these! Congratulations!
    edited November 2016
    As you can see I embedded the pic for you.  On an instagram its easy to do.  While viewing the page, just to the right of the comments there's a three-dot icon; click on it. A dialogue pops up, asking if you want to report the content as inappropriate or if you want to embed the media. Click embed, then just copy the embed code link. You can uncheck the caption box if you'd rather just post the photo.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10362
    Love it,congrats.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    edited November 2016
    See, they look wicked without pickguards. And it's not like I can't put it back on.

Ignore the Donald Trump binding on that one: my guitar is not afflicted with it.

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Gorgeous.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5636
    See, they look wicked without pickguards.
    Nope.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Pick guard off - Open coils! They don't look any better than that. Happy NGD mate. 

All the right notes, not always in the right order!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Guard yes. Covers nay!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Its not a proper LP without the pup covers and guard - just accept it.  Anything else is a perversion!  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    Just google "Brian Robertson Thin Lizzy" you'll soon see what you need to do...