Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD: Les Paul Custom

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• This is what I need to do.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    Okay... that does look cool - have you got the trousers?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Pure class! Covers and guard on, imho..!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Yeah, pick guard and covers off.....nickel hardware as well......just like Mr Duffy above..
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

I'm trying to decide whether to keep the pickguard on or off, and (when I inevitably change the pickups) whether to go open coil or covered humbuckers. Please post pictures of customs in all configurations to help me decide!

You seemingly know not teh rules of LP etiquette. Bursts = guard off (but still ok on) Customs = ALWAYS OFF. C'mon man get with the script! ;-)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72864
    Black Customs look the least bad of any Les Paul with a pickguard on, but still better with it off. Best with no pickup covers too. Also remember that removing this unnecessary stuff reduces the weight :).

If you don't know if it's a mahogany or maple cap, when you've got the pickups out you can scrape the paint off the side wall of one of the cavities and check. If it's a CS '57 Historic it should be mahogany. Oddly enough the all-mahogany ones are not always lighter though, despite it being a less dense wood than maple.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited November 2016
    If it has as CS xxxxx type s/n its a maple cap version. They moved the USA factory version to a CS delineation around that time. ( 2003 )The all mahogany versions would have the historic s/n configuration. Lovely guitar ! As for covers and guard, an LPC looks great whatever.
  • Inspired by this, my 81 is now unguarded! Covers stay though as the Shaw's are both double black and that's too much black
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    Welcome to the black custom club - just the best les Paul!
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited November 2016
    ICBM said:
    Black Customs look the least bad of any Les Paul with a pickguard on, but still better with it off. Best with no pickup covers too. Also remember that removing this unnecessary stuff reduces the weight .

If you don't know if it's a mahogany or maple cap, when you've got the pickups out you can scrape the paint off the side wall of one of the cavities and check. If it's a CS '57 Historic it should be mahogany. Oddly enough the all-mahogany ones are not always lighter though, despite it being a less dense wood than maple.
    The CS maple/ mahogany Customs use the weight relief swiss cheese backs, while the historics don't ,hence the perceived weight discrepancy. That being said, there is at least one example of a 90's Historic, once xrayed, showing the aforementioned weight relief. May not have been part of the official spec back then. 
  • Looks lovely.

I've always been a fan of the Peter Frampton cream pick-up rings, covers and pick-guard off look....
  • Looks lovely.

I've always been a fan of the Peter Frampton cream pick-up rings, covers and pick-guard off look....
    This and the Brian Robertson 'Live and Dangerous" look. All that being said, I recently took a 3 p/up '76 in very well played condition back to the original black surrounds, uncovered  t tops and original controls and love the vibe .
  • AndyR said:
    Not exactly... But I have many almost as ridiculous.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    AndyR said:

He did have, but they split all the way up the seams on him like a peeled banana when he pulled a stance onstage a few years ago. :lol:
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7093
    tFB Trader
    Voxman said:
    Its not a proper LP without the pup covers and guard
    You need to strip the top back to bare maple too for the full Ronno.
  • Pickup covers on.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3847
    Coolest guitar. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4781
    peteri said:
    Welcome to the black custom club - just the best les Paul!
    I do like black but my personal preference for a Custom is tobacco sunburst, which I think looks stunning with gold hardware and is much 'warmer' looking.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Magnificent guitar. I only have the Epi version but I love the black Customs. As you say, they tend to be more mid rangey than the Standards but that can be a good thing. Instant John Sykes!