tele 52 RI bridge grub screws

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15976

is there a drop in shorter replacement of the same size available in the UK?

a couple sit too proud on my tele and I can't be arsed sawin' shit

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13944
    edited November 2016
    I have a 2015 AV52 as well.

Man up and grind that palm muting out until you bleed, heal and get a hand as rough as a breeze block.

The tone is completely lost if you use fractionally shorter screws

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24826
    edited November 2016
    hootsmon said:

is there a drop in shorter replacement of the same size available in the UK?

a couple sit too proud on my tele and I can't be arsed sawin' shit

Lacerations are all part of the 'vintage' experience.

Personally I'd get my hacksaw and a file out. It not a 'massive' job.

The other option is increasing the neck angle by shimming it - so with the saddles set at the right height - they are higher up the screws.

I'm not a fan of this option - as I don't like the idea of a shim - but it's probably the quickest/cheapest fix.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    I carry 8mm long slot head 6-32 grub screws for this very purpose.
    http://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_26&products_id=243

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    http://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_26&products_id=243

That's useful. I'll bookmark those :)
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15976

Flaggy

how's the neck on that 2015?

mine is a slim(ish) 2007

tae be or not tae be
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22970

Yes, it's not difficult to get hold of #6-32 grub screws (or #4-40 ones for Strats, I think that's the right size).  Quite easy to find on eBay.
  • hootsmon said:

Flaggy

how's the neck on that 2015?

mine is a slim(ish) 2007

A nice chunky handful, but I love a fat neck. Not as fat as my R8 Les Paul though

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72432
    richardhomer said:

The other option is increasing the neck angle by shimming it - so with the saddles set at the right height - they are higher up the screws.

I'm not a fan of this option - as I don't like the idea of a shim - but it's probably the quickest/cheapest fix.
    I actually prefer it - I find it makes the guitar sound better as well as curing the saddle screw problem. I don't know whether it's the shim, the extra pressure on the saddles, the increased break angle or a combination of all those.

On a vintage-style bridge it also helps lift the strings clear of the sides of the bridge tray, which makes palm muting easier - and means you have the pickup slightly higher too so the screws are tighter against the springs and the pickup has less tendency to rattle.

Just better in every way, and you don't even need a very thick shim usually.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15976
    Philly_Q said:

Yes, it's not difficult to get hold of #6-32 grub screws (or #4-40 ones for Strats, I think that's the right size).  Quite easy to find on eBay.

the strat grubbers a different size then?
    tae be or not tae be
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22970
    hootsmon said:
    Philly_Q said:

the strat grubbers a different size then?
    Yes, they're a narrower width (and shorter length).  I checked the size, #4-40 was right.