Bargain JVM ?

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
edited November 2016 in Amps
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182342161602

Well I think so anyway...just saw this read the limited description, but the pics really sold it to me....so I just had to click the BIN before some other bugger did! £450 POSTED...how is that not a steal ?? Now I really do need to sell my Mesa Express 5:50...and/or my Marshall 1923C Anniversary combo (50w DSL 2x12 limited edition jobby). And if somehow I'm disappointed, well...I can't lose can I at that price to get my money back! :-) winner winner chicken dinner!! :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The combos tend to go a lot cheaper than the heads - most people who run a JVM want the whole half-stack experience.

Still, nice one :)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    Damn... that's in nice enough condition that you won't want my spare combo cabinet either :).

As digitalscream says, the combos are worth less than the heads, but that was still unusually cheap.

It may well make your DSL redundant, but don't assume so until you're tried it at gig volume.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Yep, crazy Value for money IMO.

Only go for about £500-600 from what I've seen.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24443
    Good luck carrying it!
    He'll be fine... this is a chap who already owns a DSL combo, a Mesa and an AC30 :). At least this one has decent end handles.

(Can't remember if the DSL does or not.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Bargain indeed!  Never seen one go that cheaply
  • I once snagged one of these off one of the Facebook groups for £350!! Total bargain.

They are nice amps if you don't go crazy with the gain.

I ended up flipping it for a nice profit in the end but I could easily have kept it. 
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited November 2016
    ICBM said:
    He'll be fine... this is a chap who already owns a DSL combo, a Mesa and an AC30 . At least this one has decent end handles.

(Can't remember if the DSL does or not.)
    Yep my DSL combo has the very same cabinet/handles (also same as the TSL122)....those nice recessed in the sides....that's what I really like with bigger Marshalls. So no bother carrying it. I'm used to 34kgs with my ac30...this is the same weight but with better located handles. Plus I lift weights to so this amps just like a moderately heavy dumbell haha. 2x12 combos are proper combos no girly 1x12s for me. Also thinking of getting a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab to run with it...that might be a nice addition for a bit of closed back oomph. 

Yeah methinks it might well oust my DSL but as you said.....I won't be shifting it till I have compared them at gig levels.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    Bar Steward, I saw that and you beat me to it...
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I sold my JVM 210Combo for £450 about two years ago lost a packet as it just loved being repaired
    edited November 2016
    welshboyo said:
    Bar Steward, I saw that and you beat me to it...
    I saw it late last night minutes before I clicked BIN, thought the description blurb was a bit weak/lazy (next to nothing said about it) but I looked over the pics and its physical condition at least cosmetically seems mint...so as its in "great working condition" and looked mint I thought if I don't click BIN now and leave it till today it won't be there at that price. I did actually want/prefer to email the seller asking a few probing Q's first...but didn't think time was on my side for that! Methinks I was right! ;-)
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    edited November 2016
    Thats exactly why I "pondered"/"hovered" ove the BIN button.

Good Luck with it, it looks like a total bargain and give me dibs if you don't like it

will do! (that said you don't think I'd be selling it for £450 do ya? :lol:

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    I see that the specs lists one of the drivers as a 70w 'Celestion Heritage'.  Which one is it in particular as I thought the Heritages were lower powered.
    not sure...but the same mix of speakers was found in the old TSL122 and my 1923C Anniversary combo (2x12 DSL50). Clearly they're powerful enough to handle the 100w load...
    andyoz said:
    I see that the specs lists one of the drivers as a 70w 'Celestion Heritage'.  Which one is it in particular as I thought the Heritages were lower powered.
    It's confusingly named - it's a Marshall-only speaker and nothing to do with the Celestion Heritage range. It seems to be similar or identical to a G12M-70 - it doesn't sound very good on its own, but does actually work well combined with the 'Vintage' which as you would expect is a V30, although possibly slightly different from the standard one.

just bought a companion for my JVM/DSL to go with 'em! Bit smaller than the 1936 cab but that will mean it fits in my car that bit easier as my car is rammed to the rafters when I gig being only a lil 207.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marshall-1922-2x12-speaker-cab-/112187602189?

siraxeman said:

just bought a companion for my JVM/DSL to go with 'em! Bit smaller than the 1936 cab but that will mean it fits in my car that bit easier as my car is rammed to the rafters when I gig being only a lil 207.

Be careful how you rig that up - the JVM speakers are a 16-ohm series pair, and the cab is 8-ohm in mono. You need to either plug both into the 4-ohm jacks (which will give a safe mismatch of 5.33 ohms, but 2/3 of the power will go into the extension cab) or plug the cab into the 4-ohm jack and the combo speakers into the 8… if that makes sense! Try both and see which sounds best. My usual feeling is that running both at 4 ohms with the mismatch does, but you may prefer the other.

If it's too much of an issue or you don't like the 75s I could sell you the Heritage/Vintage pair from the TSL combo, although you'll have to rewire the cab to get them in series.

edited November 2016
    Bugger.....would I have been better off with plan A and just got the 1936 cab? Thanks for the info though...I didn't realise. 
    siraxeman said:
    Bugger.....would I have been better off with plan A and just got the 1936 cab? Thanks for the info though...I didn't realise. 
    The 1936 is a big and quite boomy cab - not ideal. The 'right' cab would be the JVM212, which is purpose-designed to stack under the combo and is 16-ohm, but is open-backed like the combo… which seems somewhat pointless to me! I'd need to check the dimensions but I think the 1922 may be the same size as the JVM - although whether the foot cups match is another matter!

If they do then in my opinion the 1922 would be the best cab, either with the 75s or with the other speakers. Don't worry about the impedance mismatch, it really isn't that much of an issue - just see if you like the sound of it. If you do, it's fine. If you don't, either try to find a JVM cab or we can talk about the speakers :).