Help plan my post band rig

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
in Amps tFB Trader
As I'm not in a band anymore I'm planning to chop and change my gear around for something more suited to home playing.

My gigging rig was:
Atomic Amplifire -> Jet City JCA22H FX Return -> H&K 2x12 with Greenbacks
With backup provided by a Tech21 TM60 
I've also got my backup guitar (PRS Standard 22) which is for sale and can contribute to the rig fund if required.

The Atomic is already sold and the JCA22H is already provisionally gone.

I play everything from spanky clean up to classic rock. I do have the occasional dalliance with metal, but I've got a Riot and a Super Badass so I don't really need an amp to do it off the bat. 

I will be predominantly playing at home, but having the option of being able to take something to a gig would be nice. I think the H&K cab will have to go as it's massive so I might scale back to a 1x12 or a compact 2x12.

Thoughts so far have been: Jet City Custom 22, Fender Bassbreaker 15, something from the Blues Cube range. I've even pondered a Boss Katana for low volume noodling. 

Thoughts?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Axe FX VI Ultra Mk. 2000 TB Edition w/ SCSI backup addon
    Er.. what I meant to say was Helix.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    tFB Trader
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Er.. what I meant to say was Helix.
    The Helix is a possibility if my PRS sells. 

I'm not a big FX guy and I don't need modelling into a PA anymore so it might be a waste. 
    How come you sold the Atomic? It seems like for home playing a modeller is the ticket?

Otherwise a small valve amp; like a JCA22H....

I guess I'm struggling to understand why you'd flog stuff. Unless it's just the typical GASGASGAS we all go through - I sold and bought a DD500 within two months this year coz I'm an idiot!!

You could try an EVH5150III 50-watt head. They're surprisingly versatile!
    tFB Trader
    Drew_TNBD said:
    How come you sold the Atomic? It seems like for home playing a modeller is the ticket?

Otherwise a small valve amp; like a JCA22H....

I guess I'm struggling to understand why you'd flog stuff. Unless it's just the typical GASGASGAS we all go through - I sold and bought a DD500 within two months this year coz I'm an idiot!!

You could try an EVH5150III 50-watt head. They're surprisingly versatile!
    Yes partially I'm just swapping shit out because I'm jaded about music due to quitting my band and buying some new stuff will hopefully give me impetus to play rather than give up guitar (which I've done in the past in similar situations).

The Atomic is going as I had it for a singular purpose which was to provide modelling into a PA. 
    I won't really use it for home use as it isn't nice to work with via the front panel display and I don't like having to have something USBed to a laptop. I don't really need vast numbers of sounds TBH. I only used 3 patches on the Atomic and 2 of those were virtually identical except for the gain.

If I was going to go modelling something very simple like a Katana or a Blues Cube would probably be a better fit. 

The JCA22H is a very good fit for me, but it doesn't really do clean which is why I was considering selling it and buying the extremely similar Custom 22 which has a revoiced proper clean channel. 

I would have thought the EVH would have been all about the brootal chuggage?

Keep the gain low and it can do mid-gain stuff really well. The cleans aren't really 'clean' though.

You strike me as a similar player to me - instant gratification, simplicity, but with a little wiggle room for complexity. I reckon the Helix would do you. If not that, then a small amp and a capable multi-fx for FX only.

I don't know about the Katana, but the Cubes are decent amps.
    tFB Trader
    Drew_TNBD said:

Keep the gain low and it can do mid-gain stuff really well. The cleans aren't really 'clean' though.

You strike me as a similar player to me - instant gratification, simplicity, but with a little wiggle room for complexity. I reckon the Helix would do you. If not that, then a small amp and a capable multi-fx for FX only.

I don't know about the Katana, but the Cubes are decent amps.
    Yeah that's probably a fair assessment.

I like things where it's easy to get a good basic sound and if there is a load of complexity then it's somewhat hidden.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72566
    Sell it all and buy a really nice acoustic guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Sell it all and buy a really nice acoustic guitar.
    I have pondered that possibility.

Historically I'm not really all that interested in acoustic guitar, but that might be because I've only ever had a cheap one. 
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited November 2016
    Amp wise I saw a video on YouTube for the new '57 custom series fender tweed amps. The Champ looked and sounded fantastic. I want it. 

Edit: crazy price tag though. 

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    For home use just get a Helix/HD500x/GT-100 > some decent monitors. All the versatility in the world and compact and great toanz at your toeses and fingerses.
    monquixote said:

Historically I'm not really all that interested in acoustic guitar, but that might be because I've only ever had a cheap one. 
    Even more reason to do it - it's a different world. The difference between a cheap acoustic and a good one is far greater than between a cheap electric and a good one, in my opinion.

You may not get on with it, in which case nothing lost - especially if you've bought a good guitar second hand, you can always sell it again for little or no loss - and get back into electric gear, or start again with some cheap electric stuff and work back up, while keeping the acoustic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    As much as I love my 2 acoustics, I'm an electric player first and foremost, could never imagine selling all my leccy's and going over to the dark side.... :o methinks the OP might be of  the same persuasion.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31649
    The Custom 22 is a good shout, with a nice reverb pedal it made my Princeton redundant so I now own two Custom 22s. 
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:
    The Custom 22 is a good shout, with a nice reverb pedal it made my Princeton redundant so I now own two Custom 22s. 
    Is the clean channel really as good as a Princeton?
    ICBM said:
    monquixote said:

Even more reason to do it - it's a different world. The difference between a cheap acoustic and a good one is far greater than between a cheap electric and a good one, in my opinion.

You may not get on with it, in which case nothing lost - especially if you've bought a good guitar second hand, you can always sell it again for little or no loss - and get back into electric gear, or start again with some cheap electric stuff and work back up, while keeping the acoustic.
    Any recommendations for a lefty IC? I was thinking a Faith guitar, and at some point I definitely want to get a nice new acoustic. I tried out a mid-range Martin and a Sigma and didn't really like them. Too thin sounding and not meaty enough, even though they were dreadnoughts.
    Drew_TNBD said:

Any recommendations for a lefty IC? I was thinking a Faith guitar, and at some point I definitely want to get a nice new acoustic. I tried out a mid-range Martin and a Sigma and didn't really like them. Too thin sounding and not meaty enough, even though they were dreadnoughts.
    I don't like Faiths exactly for that reason - thin and too bright. On the other hand I don't like a lot of high-end acoustics many people seem to rate either… many modern acoustics sound like that to me.

LH makes it more tricky, of course :(. As you know I like Gibsons, but their lefties are expensive, hard to find, and if Gibson's usual variable quality applies to them as well it could be a bit of a disappointing experience. I do like Guilds too, and they tend to be thicker-sounding and also make lefties. No idea what you mean by 'at some point' or your budget, but I did see this… https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/steel-string-guitar/guild-d-150l-natural-westerly-left-handed-steel-string-acoustic-guitar?gclid=Cj0KEQjwhvbABRDOp4rahNjh-tMBEiQA0QgTGt0s1Rgr43oTcbHsJQXVYEtp_-qJcPYb53ZFB-aPkJgaAtZL8P8HAQ

• ...because I'm jaded about music due to quitting my band and buying some new stuff will hopefully give me impetus to play rather than give up guitar (which I've done in the past in similar situations).
    Stop feeling sorry for yourself, get your head out of your arse, and get yourself in another band.

Simples.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    One of the new Gordon Smith GS II 's
    A 40w valve combo of your choice - tell them to shut up and turn it up so you can't hear them.
    All four Thorpy FX pedals and Floor tuner.

Go back to basics and learn how to have fun playing again.

Just an idea but if i'd been stuck in a rut like that and been running multi-zx-81's into a PA for ages, that's what i would do.
    Lengthen the strap a little, put some 10's on it and just let go man.
    Go back to the Ramones, Joan Jett, The Pistols, The Clash, The Jam, Stranglers, Dr Feelgood...............Guitar music.

Good luck with whatever direction you go.
    Giving up shouldn't be one of them though !

:)
    tFB Trader
    ...because I'm jaded about music due to quitting my band and buying some new stuff will hopefully give me impetus to play rather than give up guitar (which I've done in the past in similar situations).
    Stop feeling sorry for yourself, get your head out of your arse, and get yourself in another band.

Simples.

R.
    I don't want to be in a band or I'd still be in one.