Help plan my post band rig

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    ICBM said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Any recommendations for a lefty IC? I was thinking a Faith guitar, and at some point I definitely want to get a nice new acoustic. I tried out a mid-range Martin and a Sigma and didn't really like them. Too thin sounding and not meaty enough, even though they were dreadnoughts.
    I don't like Faiths exactly for that reason - thin and too bright. On the other hand I don't like a lot of high-end acoustics many people seem to rate either… many modern acoustics sound like that to me.

LH makes it more tricky, of course :(. As you know I like Gibsons, but their lefties are expensive, hard to find, and if Gibson's usual variable quality applies to them as well it could be a bit of a disappointing experience. I do like Guilds too, and they tend to be thicker-sounding and also make lefties. No idea what you mean by 'at some point' or your budget, but I did see this… https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/steel-string-guitar/guild-d-150l-natural-westerly-left-handed-steel-string-acoustic-guitar?gclid=Cj0KEQjwhvbABRDOp4rahNjh-tMBEiQA0QgTGt0s1Rgr43oTcbHsJQXVYEtp_-qJcPYb53ZFB-aPkJgaAtZL8P8HAQ

Realistically, it's when I save up some cash! Got a few things on my list right now - it just keeps growing!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28657
    Acoustics are very loud.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31649
    p90fool said:
    The Custom 22 is a good shout, with a nice reverb pedal it made my Princeton redundant so I now own two Custom 22s. 
    Is the clean channel really as good as a Princeton?
    It's definitely up there, especially with some nice reverb added. 

It's nothing whatsoever like any of my other Jet City amps, the bright switch helps it transition from a real chiming clean, progressively through to a very smooth drive with no graininess. 

It's not identical sounding to the Princeton, but importantly, the feel under your fingers is similar, it has a softness to it even when very clean which stops you having to dirty it up to make it feel natural. 

I've no idea if you live near enough to try mine, I'm in mid Wales? 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I'd hang on to the Tech 21 amp. Perfect for home playing.
  • jack lead, soundcard, reaper, amplitube
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    tFB Trader
    jack lead, soundcard, reaper, amplitube
    I haven't written a song in about 5 years so at the moment that doesn't appeal. 
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:
    p90fool said:
    The Custom 22 is a good shout, with a nice reverb pedal it made my Princeton redundant so I now own two Custom 22s. 
    Is the clean channel really as good as a Princeton?
    It's definitely up there, especially with some nice reverb added. 

It's nothing whatsoever like any of my other Jet City amps, the bright switch helps it transition from a real chiming clean, progressively through to a very smooth drive with no graininess. 

It's not identical sounding to the Princeton, but importantly, the feel under your fingers is similar, it has a softness to it even when very clean which stops you having to dirty it up to make it feel natural. 

I've no idea if you live near enough to try mine, I'm in mid Wales? 

Unfortunately I'm in Suffolk so miles away!
    I think that's enough info to make me confident to buy one though.
    It's about half the price of the bassbreaker as well.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Any recommendations for a lefty IC? I was thinking a Faith guitar, and at some point I definitely want to get a nice new acoustic. I tried out a mid-range Martin and a Sigma and didn't really like them. Too thin sounding and not meaty enough, even though they were dreadnoughts.
    I don't know what the situation is with left-handed Taylors, but I would heartily recommend them if they're available.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited November 2016
    Actually, what ICBM says about acoustic...

... I find I'm mainly playing acoustic now as I figure it'll be easier to get gigs as an acoustic trio. 

I've also thought about selling two electrics to take it down to one (also to help toward car purchase). I'd also sell the HT20 (already have the HT5) but master volume makes it more home friendly. Oh, and that massive new pedalboard and supply I recently bought. Damn. And damn again. :(

Good luck with your quest!
  • jack lead, soundcard, reaper, amplitube
    I haven't written a song in about 5 years so at the moment that doesn't appeal. 
    Might inspire you to get back into it :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    Drew_TNBD said:
    ICBM said:
    monquixote said:

Historically I'm not really all that interested in acoustic guitar, but that might be because I've only ever had a cheap one. 
    Even more reason to do it - it's a different world. The difference between a cheap acoustic and a good one is far greater than between a cheap electric and a good one, in my opinion.

You may not get on with it, in which case nothing lost - especially if you've bought a good guitar second hand, you can always sell it again for little or no loss - and get back into electric gear, or start again with some cheap electric stuff and work back up, while keeping the acoustic.
    They're not that common, but if you can get your mitts on a L'Arrivée - even one of the lower end ones, they are fucking gorgeous. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    edited November 2016
    I sold all my electric guitars and gear and got back to playing acoustic- probably better than I ever have. My wife sings so we have learned songs and done some open mic nights. No pressure, sociable live performance fun. I bought myself a nice new acoustic as a little treat. Haven't played too much lately as my wife had a big operation so she was out of action and I had less time. But that is how we plan to go on. Maybe at some point, when the repertoire and confidence grow sufficiently we could do an acoustic gig. Maybe not.
    I don't miss the band.
    I do sometimes listen to rock and miss my electrics.
    Good luck in your new musical chapter.
    :)

ps ... just realised that I have not addressed your original question at all!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Just discovered that my local GAS emporium have a second hand DRRI.

Hmmmm....