Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Need a small practice amp for my six year old daughter to learn on, recomendations please?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3578
So I bought her a little 3/4 electric strat yesterday and I'm now looking for a practice amp, its a Christmas present so I'm in no rush.

Also, I have been playing an acoustic for the last 15 or so years but I'm thinking about going back to an electric. I figure it might be better if I have an electric when giving my daughter lessons.

So, can you guys recommend a practice amp that we can plug two guitars into?

If that isn't a good idea what do you guys think of the Vox Pathfinder 10? It looks nice and small, not too loud or complicated and it comes in Red which my daughter would be more into which would hopefully keep her interested in playing with.  

What do you guys think?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7928
    edited November 2016
    Vox DA5. Simple, flexible, sound great. 

There is a pink on one eBay....

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72565
    Vox Mini5 Rhythm.

Although the two channels are really a guitar and a mic channel, you can plug a guitar into the mic channel too - possibly with an overdrive pedal if you don't want a clean sound for the second guitar - and it has effects and a built-in drum machine to play along to. It doesn't come in red, but it does come in cream, which looks nice.

It also sounds genuinely good if dad wants to play it himself :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    My daughter has the black star fly and loves it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A DA5 would give a much better "electric guitar" sound than a Pathfinder. The models and effects make it very satisfying to plug into and play away.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Blackstar ID bought one for my son and a squire mini strat he loves it
  • I recently gave my nine year old son a Blackstar ID Core 20. It's a great little amp, lots of different tones, some nice stereo effects - and you can even use it as speakers for a phone/mp3 player. 

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

Whatever you choose (ours! ours!) you can simply solder 3 jacks pin to pin and combine 2 guitars. Not lektikally correct but good enough for jazz.

Dave.

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 614
    edited November 2016
    A Boss LS2 pedal will solve your 2 guitars into 1 amp issues. 
    The Yamaha THR10 is great for home practice. It can also serve double duty as a stereo speaker to amplify MP3 players. It has an auxiliary input so you can play along with a backing track and can run on batteries which might be handy when your daughter wants to take it around to the relatives to impress them with her new found skills. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Roland Micro Cube GX is worth checking out - low cost, compact, a range of tones from clean and acoustic to filth, built in effects, headphone out etc Comes in funky red ... sounds good. It's what I use .. the batteries last ages (it also comes with a power supply).

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Another vote for THR-10. I don't know why anyone would buy any other amp for home practice right now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Check out the Vox AV series, they look really good.
  • Marshall Major
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fender Twin
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Yeah just get her a Marshall stack and blow her ear drums 
  • Marshall Major
    I usually find it hard to avoid flippant responses - but I tried hard to control myself with this thread - I was sorely tempted to most 'Soldano SLO' yesterday....
  • Yamaha THR-5.
  • I'd add another Vox vote. Great value for money and a very nice bunch of sounds.
    I'd say go for a Valvetronix 15W or even a 30W if you think there may be a chance of the little one getting bored of it. That way you will find plenty of use for it yourself.
    Roland Cubes are pretty good too.
  • Marshall Major
    I usually find it hard to avoid flippant responses - but I tried hard to control myself with this thread - I was sorely tempted to most 'Soldano SLO' yesterday....
    I just couldn't hold it in. 
    I'd go with a vox valvetronix as I quite enjoyed the one I had for a bit and they can occasionally be picked up for very very little on ebay
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3578
    Thanks guys, I was hoping to keep the amp simple so she doesn't get all confused and shy away, getting her to stick at it might be difficult enough, or it could go the other way and she will end up playing with the amp more than the guitar..
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • Buy my amp from the Classifieds.