Overcrowding on trains...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Problem is that we were the first to build them.  We have the most antiquated logistics network in the whole world, some of the most densely built cities and sprawling suburbs packed around them, a history of lapse and incoherent planning and numptie politicians. 

There just isn't the space.  Best job would be a nuke from Russia and start again in 25,000 years time.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    We now? I thought you were an Aussie ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4732
    Lest we forget, thirty to forty years ago we did have double deck trains.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR_Class_4DD#/media/File:Class_4DD_no_4902_at_Ashford_Steam_Centre.jpg
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    My journey today has so far taken 4 hours and 16 minutes.

Today was only unique in that there was a Non-Southern excuse for being trapped in a dark train for 90 minutes ... normally the delays are just expected 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have to travel to and from London almost every day. This evening I got on the train that was meant to leave at 5:34 at 6:10, it left Waterloo at 6:45.

Luckily they are extending the platforms for 10 car trains, but that is happening next August,  and they said to expect more delays while that happens. I'll be on holiday then unless I get a summer internship. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 1 - Companies need to stagger working hours for staff so that peak times are far less. Almost no companies are busy at 10am mon - friday

2 - Companies need to be more flexible about having people work from home and get over their paranoid workaholic culture.

3 - London based business need tax incentives to operate outside of zone 4 and the m25

4 - Renationalise the railways on a contract basis. The railway and infrastructure is gov owned. Private companies can bid for contracts and run the infrastructure. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    @Winny_Pooh has some good ideass.

The other thing I would add is that there should be planning restrictions on new office and commercial developments in central London.  The more you build, the more transport you need.  Build offices near where people live.  Reduce the need for travel.  With modern communications there is a lot less requirement to be in London than there was histroically.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom