Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should job apps list salary?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11970
    As a potential applicant already on £40k say,  I'd rather  know that the firm  had a range of £28-£55k for the role,  rather  than be offered £32k after wasting time with interviews

I had to recruit  with a max salary of £32k for  one firm,  when the going rate was  £40k
    It burnt up a lot of my time, and HR blocked every move to increase the rate
    Instead we ended up with more freelancers (all  great folks and very able) on £400-£500 a day. 
    We did get 2 permies,  one wanted a local role in her late 50s, one wanted  to exit  a frying pan and progress. Which she did - she moved on less than 2 years later

What tactical genius from HR. They claimed Towers-Watson data supported their maximum. but it was inaccurate.
    Hilarious to have flawed mathematical analysis used by the inumerate  to stop the  numerate  doing their job
    Paying  sub-market rates for permanent staff is stupid and uneconomical
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7933
    I've wasted time in multiple interviews, only to be made a rediculous salary offer for what's should be a solid Sales Director wage.  The salary really should be stated on the job.  I had 11 interviews for one of the role. A colossal was of time and money.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    You're surely not blaming hr are you? 

Gee , I've never heard that before! 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    There must be a very good reason for not publishing it though, not that I know what it is. HR are always telling us how expensive recruitment is (from advertising, to HR time, to interviewer time etc) so you need to be as accurate as possible with the advert and early discussions, surely salary is a decent part of that.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    edited November 2016
    My company is currently recruiting,  I will be doing the interviews and I wrote the role definition.  I chose not to inc salary in the listing but we do ask for current salary or expected with  each application to avoid wasting each other's time. We do this as we have people with varying levels of experience or qualifications in each role and we appointed people at different times in the uks economy. I've got guys working for me now on £35k that where employed 10 years ago that today would only be offered £24-26k. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited November 2016
    ...and if you do deign to ask up front,  they then take the view that you are then 'not quite the mentality of candidate that they are seeking'..

But honestly - who posts a For Sale Ad and never puts a price in??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  •  I'm currently seeking a job. Lots of application forms want to know my most recent salary. In reality the jobs I am applying for pay about half of what I was earning. Based on what you say I will never get considered, I'd be seen to be wasting your time or you wasting mine. Whereas I'm looking for a career change not necessarily looking to match my last wage. Yet applying for jobs that I don't know the salary for ( although I can roughly guess or just google it) is a waste of everyone's time.
    Again, select high level jobs where some negotiation might be expected is understandable but everything else I don't get it. In a sense the difference between a £19k job and a £20k job is bigger than £70k to £80k because finances are probably more finely balanced and more sensitive to things like travel costs. 

grungebob said:
    My company is currently recruiting,  I will be doing the interviews and I wrote the role definition.  I chose not to inc salary in the listing but we do ask for current salary or expected with  each application to avoid wasting each other's time. We do this as we have people with varying levels of experience or qualifications in each role and we appointed people at different times in the uks economy. I've got guys working for me now on £35k that where employed 10 years ago that today would only be offered £24-26k. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28670
     I'm currently seeking a job. Lots of application forms want to know my most recent salary.

I've never quite answered that question in an interview - I always tell them what I need. My current salary is none of their business.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
     I'm currently seeking a job. Lots of application forms want to know my most recent salary.

I've never quite answered that question in an interview - I always tell them what I need. My current salary is none of their business.
    Similar. I tell people what I need to even begin considering the job. If that is what they eventually offer then I've also told them that the job better be significantly more interesting than my current one because changing employer based on trusting what they say is a risk, so I want to know the gamble is worthwhile.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    Yes they should say. I've had a few interviews where I had to ask and it was too low for me to consider changing, so I've wasted my bloody day off and also the interviewers time.