Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Croydon Tram Crash

What's Hot
7 dead. 50 injured. Tragic. RIP to those who lost their lives. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Savage :-/
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Saw it unfolding on the news .. tragic .. I see the driver's been arrested. Interesting interview with a regular passenger who claimed the trams often travelled too fast for the bend. RIP.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I wouldn't be surprised if the timetables were that tight that they didn't have time to slow down. 
    My V key is broken
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I've seen one of the passengers share a Facebook status from a week earlier saying how it went fast enough around that bend they were all frightened:

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    It's the Alton Towers of South London the bend in question is a sharp right turn rather than a bend. It would be fast in a car at 30mph. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2768
    I'm astonished at the reports of the speed that the trams are apparently going round that bend.  The bifurcation is also on quite a steep slope, and the detailed tram was turning left and coming up the slope at that point.

i have stood at that spot and walked along that track a number of times, and I cannot believe that speed.

If that facebook post is true, them I am even more shocked than I was yesterday - in fact I was more down about this than I was about Trump.  Having said that, a facebook post does not mean it actually was going at 40mph, but the fact that they apparently were so concerned as a traveller a week or so back is very worrying
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    A friend of mine was working in Croydon University Hospital yesterday. She phoned me at the end of her shift and burst into tears. Grim.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoFi said:
    A friend of mine was working in Croydon University Hospital yesterday. She phoned me at the end of her shift and burst into tears. Grim.
    Must have been incredibly hard for her, I have nothing but respect and admiration for those who are on 'the front line' when it comes to times of crisis as such. 

I'm in agreement about the FB post being very shocking as it would seem to indicate drivers speeding are not isolated incidents.  

The closest tram stop is pretty much at the bottom of my friend's road.  I'm well aware of the place where it happened.  

Grim times :/
  • I drive through That area a lot. There is very little separation of traffic and trams at many critical points
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    I know in the old days that London Underground managers used to go out with a speed gun occasionally on some lines.  These days it's less of an issue as most of the trains are driven automatically, or have data loggers on the trains.  You do wonder whether an approach like that still makes sense on lines where trains/trams are driven manually.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    I'm amazed there isn't an automatic speed limiter on the dodgier sections of the track. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24286
    Some newspapers are claiming that the tram was at 50mph on a section where the limit should be 12 mph.

I would be very surprised if a tram could get to 50mph. 
    boogieman said:
    I'm amazed there isn't an automatic speed limiter on the dodgier sections of the track. 
    I'm sure that there will be in future.

Ultimately though, if the trams have been doing the kinds of speeds that are being talked about where they are doing 3 times the speed limit (or more) that is criminal recklessness.  If someone is driving through a 30mph limit at 90mph then there is a good chance the driver will go to jail if they are caught.  If they are doing 40mph in a 30mph limit then it's 3 points on the license.

It's one thing doing 15mph, or even 20mph, in a 12mph speed limit, and you will normally get away with that unless the wheel is on the limit of it's wear, and the rail is on the limit of it's wear at the same time.  Doing the kinds of speeds that are being talked about is completely out of order.  If it is an ongoing issue, and management have been turning a blind eye then there will be questions asked there as well.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Some newspapers are claiming that the tram was at 50mph on a section where the limit should be 12 mph.

I would be very surprised if a tram could get to 50mph. 
    Just looked it up on Wikipedia and that's their top speed, although I'd be surprised if they got near that in operation. 30mph is probably about right
    My V key is broken
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    It's a sharp left turn anything more than 10-15mph and your gonna be in trouble.

The driver is going to jail ! 
  • Really sad news, best wishes to anyone affected.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    capo4th said:
    It's a sharp left turn anything more than 10-15mph and your gonna be in trouble.

There has been talk of the driver blacking out? Whats the legal position on that?  
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Reverend said:
    capo4th said:

There has been talk of the driver blacking out? Whats the legal position on that?  

If that's true, it sounds vaguely similar to that dustcart driver in Glasgow that killed people when he 'Blacked out'. I know he had lied about his health though, and im not sure of the circumstances of this tram driver.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38003934

Nice to see the union blowing smoke in the face of reality
    They do have a point about getting some kind of automatic braking installed on the trams.  Yes the driver was to blame (unless he had a blackout with no previous medical history of them), but with systems like they have on the Tube or mainline rail he would have just got the sack rather than killing 7 people.