What are you reading at the moment?

What's Hot

Comments

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    HAL9000 said:
    Right now I’m re-reading the Gormenghast Trilogy - rather more wordy and slow than I’d remembered, and took quite a while to get going. Now that it’s hit its stride I’m enjoying it but I can fully understand  anybody giving up on it earlier on. The (usually somewhat grotesque) characters (and descriptions of them) are superb.

Next up is The Thursday Murder Club.

I read Titus Groan once - it's like a super rich cake fruit cake, I just took a nibble at a time. It's quite a pice of work for sure.

Worth keeping going with the rest?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Storm Front by Jim Butcher. I've heard of the Dresden Files books, any nerd worth their salt probably has, but other than watching the short-lived TV series (which I actually enjoyed, although as far as I'm aware nobody that had read the books did) I hadn't any experience until a good old Kindle Daily Deal turned up.

Very early so far, but just the opening few paragraphs display a subtle, dry sense of humour that is right up my street. It reminds me a little of the Spenser novels by Robert B Parker, which I am very fond of - self deprecating privately employed investigators seem to be a favourite of mine.
  • Just finished The practice of Practice by Johnathan Harnum 

Very good  would recommend to anyone who practices anything ,this is aimed at musicians and it’s in well with lots of other books on the subject of practice , learning etc. Like “ the talent code”
    outliers, bounce , the practicing mind etc .

would definitely recommend all the above 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    The Last Children Of Tokyo - Yoko Tawada

Dystopian future novel set in a Japan where the elderly live almost indefinitely and children are weak and tend to die young... quirky and odd, I can't quite decide if it's brilliant or rubbish to be honest! I'm about 2/3 of the way through, and I will know when I finish it. I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    Oh dear... haven't read it myself, but Our Maud found the Osman book (and I quote) "Naïve, like Enid Blyton for grownups"  :#

She found his "asides to the reader" especially annoying, you know the way he does "asides to the camera" on House of Games?

I can't seem to settle to novels any more - I still haven't finished the one I took on my trip to New Zealand over 2 years ago  :/

Re the Gormenghast trilogy, @pmbomb - I found the second one to be the best of the three, although it's nearly 50 years since I read them.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9705
    pmbomb said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Right now I’m re-reading the Gormenghast Trilogy - rather more wordy and slow than I’d remembered, and took quite a while to get going. Now that it’s hit its stride I’m enjoying it but I can fully understand  anybody giving up on it earlier on. The (usually somewhat grotesque) characters (and descriptions of them) are superb.

Next up is The Thursday Murder Club.

I read Titus Groan once - it's like a super rich cake fruit cake, I just took a nibble at a time. It's quite a pice of work for sure.

Worth keeping going with the rest?
    IMHO yes - well the first two books anyway. I understand that the third book, Titus Alone, was written when Peake was suffering with mental illness and sadly it shows. It (again IMHO) lacks the epic sweep and evocative use of language that characterises the first couple of books.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    Nitefly said:

Re the Gormenghast trilogy, @pmbomb - I found the second one to be the best of the three, although it's nearly 50 years since I read them.  
    I recently re-read them for the first time in about thirty years, and would have agreed about that before I did - but now I would say they're impossible to separate, especially the first two which are really just two halves of the same book - and all equally brilliant. I was especially more impressed by Titus Alone, reading it as an older adult than a teenager or a younger adult - I'm not sure that in some ways it isn't the best of the three, but it's the least typical.

Probably my favourite book (all three together) I've ever read.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Nitefly said:

I recently re-read them for the first time in about thirty years, and would have agreed about that before I did - but now I would say they're impossible to separate, especially the first two which are really just two halves of the same book - and all equally brilliant. I was especially more impressed by Titus Alone, reading it as an older adult than a teenager or a younger adult - I'm not sure that in some ways it isn't the best of the three, but it's the least typical.

Probably my favourite book (all three together) I've ever read.
    That's interesting @ICBM - when I read them half a century ago (!) I found Titus Alone felt like it had been written by someone else, the style was so different.

Perhaps it's time for me to follow your example and re-read them...

Nitefly said:

That's interesting @ICBM - when I read them half a century ago (!) I found Titus Alone felt like it had been written by someone else, the style was so different.

Perhaps it's time for me to follow your example and re-read them...
    It’s true that it was heavily edited after Peake’s death because there were a lot of inconsistencies in the manuscript which made some of it difficult to follow - and I think there’s more than one edited version. But although very different in content, I think it’s recognisably the same work.

Definitely re-read it, it’s an astounding work of genius. I’d been meaning to for years and finally got around to it in the first lockdown - I’m actually pleased I waited so long and was able to do it with less distraction.

• randersonranderson Frets: 187
    Nitefly said:
    Just finished Railway Modeller Feb 14 issue, so am about to start "Leviathan Wakes" by James S.A. Corey, on my son's recommendation.

Also about halfway through the Donald Fagen book from the other thread - very enjoyable.
    What's the Donald Fagen  book please?
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2606
    randerson said:
    Nitefly said:
    Just finished Railway Modeller Feb 14 issue, so am about to start "Leviathan Wakes" by James S.A. Corey, on my son's recommendation.

Also about halfway through the Donald Fagen book from the other thread - very enjoyable.

Eminent Hipsters.  It's pretty good.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    randerson said:
    Nitefly said:

Crikey, @randerson - that was 7 years ago!  It was, as @Blueingreen points out, "Eminent Hipsters", and I did enjoy it, being a bit of a Dan fan.  Sorry I can't remember much about it at this distance of time...

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    I Dreamed I Was a Very Clean Tramp - Richard Hell

Fun & laughs in rock n roll Babylon.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    I Just Can’t Stop It - Ranking Roger. 

Apparently he finished the book ( with co- author Daniel Rachel) and the next day collapsed which turned out to be cancer which turned out to kill him. So although it’s a straightforward memoir no reflections on his last days of illness by Roger. 
    Mostly focussing on the heyday of The Beat. Probably of not much interest unless you like that era of music but lots of  interesting stories. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    I Just Can’t Stop It - Ranking Roger. 
    Will put that on my list. I loved The Beat in my wild and dissipated youth :-).

I'm busy with this one at the moment. A scholarly tome on the history of intelligence (the spying kind) from the Bible to modern times. For fans only, I suppose, but I am enjoying it. Close to 1000 pages of small print which is leading me to believe that I need new reading glasses.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l1ceq79v6kuvc8z/secret_world.jpg?raw=1
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3593
    'Hardcore Zen', Brad Warner.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12392
    Ramble Book by Adam Buxton, jolly good stuff it is too. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16119
    Donna Tartt.........The Secret History
    The Secret Barrister ....Fake Law ( not as good as her first book ' the Law and How it's broken ' ) and spoilt by what comes through as a left- wing agenda
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12389
    Second Sleep by Robert Harris. Very odd. I’m 100 odd pages in and have no idea what’s going on or where the story is headed. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    boogieman said:
    Second Sleep by Robert Harris. Very odd. I’m 100 odd pages in and have no idea what’s going on or where the story is headed. 
    I have read this. I heard an interview with Harris on the radio when he was promoting it ( last year?) and effectively he gave spoilers for the entire thing so I knew exactly where it was headed! 

I have read a few of his novels although it's going back a bit now and it's been a bit hit and miss. Archangel is the one I remember as the best and not a terrible film of it either. Although over 20 years since I read it.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.