Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    vasselmeyer said:

The FZ-5 is a COSM modelling pedal. That's probably why you didnt like it.
    It is, and yes :). To be honest it wasn't actually as bad as I was expecting!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6083
    ICBM said:

any without 3pdt switches?
    Boss FZ-2, FZ-3 or FZ-5 (I didn't like the 5, and prefer the 2 to the 3) or Zoom Ultra Fuzz.

If I could only have one it would be the FZ-2.
    I found the 3 and 5 a bit disappointing. The 5 sounded artificial which isn't surprising considering it's COSM. The 3 was very flabby, no definition though I've been told it works better with a boost in front of it. I'm currently liking the DA-2 which although a distortion can sound very fuzzy with the A-Dist maxed. It retains note definition really well too and it shines on bass (though to be 100% successful splitting the signal clean/dirty is probably a good idea).
  • My favourite fuzz is the Monolith Oracle, or to be more precise, a DIY clone of one. It's a modified Fuzzface with a Muff style tone control. The original uses a pair of OC76 germanium transistors with high/very high gains, but with a negative ground. It just so happens I have a fairly big stash of OC76s and was able to match the gains of the original.
     Anyway, I love it. Quite a heavy fuzz with lots of low-end. Great for doom/stoner rock and my favourite on bass too.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • ICBM said:
    vasselmeyer said:

The FZ-5 is a COSM modelling pedal. That's probably why you didnt like it.
    It is, and yes :). To be honest it wasn't actually as bad as I was expecting!
    I have one on my board which I use for gigs without much space. It doesn't feel the same when you're playing it but on the receiving end, at full tilt band volume no-one will be able to tell the difference between it and any other fuzz.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    vasselmeyer said:

I have one on my board which I use for gigs without much space. It doesn't feel the same when you're playing it but on the receiving end, at full tilt band volume no-one will be able to tell the difference between it and any other fuzz.
    I like the FZ-2 for that as well - the two fuzz modes are very different, and it has a clean boost mode too (although you usually need the other settings different too, so it isn't just a case of moving the switch) - so it can essentially replace two or three other pedals.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Unpleasant surprise. Wonderful thing. 
  • I've never got on with fuzz until the Muffroom Cloud. I know everyone goes on about them in here but they are brill-tastic capable of craziness as well as smooth distortion.  
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28381
    Metalzone. Awful metal pedal, but an awesome fuzz.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I actually preferred the fuzz from my MT2 over my Fuzz Face!

Straight up.
  • so, looking at demos etc...  considering:

Magnetic effects White Atom
    Ramble FX Twin Bender
    Analogman BC108
    FF - Unpleasant Surprise

What to do....

• so, looking at demos etc...  considering:

Magnetic effects White Atom
    Ramble FX Twin Bender
    Analogman BC108
    FF - Unpleasant Surprise

What to do....

All of them. All turned on. At the same time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ive recently been looking at the Paisley Tubby vibrafuzz, but am unable to find much info on it, or where to obtain one.

www.north-effects.co.uk make some interesting looking fuzz clones too.

• I've owned a Twin Bender and it wasn't my bag. I don't seem to get on with Tonebender's and Fuzz Faces, though I have tried.

I currently use an Unpleasant Suprise and can verify that it's a damn fine fuzz pedal. I didn't really like it from the demo's, which I thought mostly sounded like flatulating ass. But when I got hold of one I started making new riffs and having new ideas straight away.

I recon go with one of the top 3 if you want some classic fuzzy sustain. If, however, the idea of a vintage sounding fuzz bores the tits off you, get the Unpleasant Suprise.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4554
    There you are then, the prophets have spoken .. enjoy your Unpleasant Suprise
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2587
    I'm currently building a Blackout Effectors Musket clone because I am looking for a Muff type with more flexibility and I liked the utube vids.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience