Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do you have a favourite song....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11313
    Favourite piece of music?

Light My Fire by The Doors. I wqas literally speechless the first time I heard it.

Runner-up is Santana's Oye Como Va - world music before it became fashionable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Difficult. Either Julie London " Cry Me A River", or Chicken Shack's version of "I'd Rather Go Blind".
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6085
    First heard it performed by the Finn brothers but this is the original, 'Throw Your Arms Around Me'

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    JezWynd said:
    First heard it performed by the Finn brothers but this is the original, 'Throw Your Arms Around Me'

This was the defining song my my youth.
    In Australia in the 80's it was hard to get away from- but it is such a great tune.

This was pretty important too:

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    edited November 2016
    I'm going to enjoy going through this thread.

Here's mine - the sound, the poetic tone of Jarvis, and his humour, the musical simplicity of it, the crescendo, it just nails it all.

And the chip-stains and grease will come out in the bath.*

*This lyric doesn't actually make it into the radio edit featured in the video^ 

I've always suspected that the theme from Shameless was largely based on this song.

• As I'm in the Bowie zone at the mo, and contrary to the fact I grew up on heavy rock, I'd say Life on Mars is about as complete a song as I've heard that presses all the right musical and lyrical buttons for me. 
  • Hell yeah, Common People is awesome!!

Mine was always this, believe it or not... Always loved it. 

• Chicken Shack's version of "I'd Rather Go Blind".
    Dave - a quick question if I may - why the chicken shack version of this astounding classic? The vocal on the Etta James version is devastatingly perfect?
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Life On Mars is a strong contender for me too. I once spent an entire job with that stuck in my head.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited November 2016
    EdGrip said:
    Life On Mars is a strong contender for me too. I once spent an entire job with that stuck in my head.
    Ooooooh yes!! Another totally awesome song.
    I also always liked "Holding Out for a Hero" and that song off Dirty Dancing lol..
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    edited November 2016
    Chicken Shack's version of "I'd Rather Go Blind".
    Dave - a quick question if I may - why the chicken shack version of this astounding classic? The vocal on the Etta James version is devastatingly perfect?
    I knew the Chicken Shack version sometime before discovering Etta James' version. I just find that Christine Perfect's (better known by her later married name Christine McVie) vocal has something about it, which always cuts through me. I also like the Chicken Shack style of that era.
    I actually knew this version before coming across Etta James. I agree that Etta James is very good, but Christine Perfect's (better known by her married name Christine McVie) vocal delivery cuts through me, and I've always liked the Chicken Shack style of that era.
    I actually knew this version before coming across Etta James. I agree that Etta James is very good, but Christine Perfect's (better known by her married name Christine McVie) vocal delivery cuts through me, and I've always liked the Chicken Shack style of that era.