Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Strymon Riverside

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• How long has Heisenberg been working for Strymon?
    No goop in his pedals, just pure blue glass...you're goddamn right...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

How many ''presets" can you have from the favourite switch? 
    Is it just 1 favourite pre dialed and then whatever is currently on the pedal?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosden said:

Just the one preset on the favourite switch and whatever is currently dialled in, so two. If you add an external boost switch, you get +6dB of boost, so I suppose technically you've got 3.
  • I'm still yet to try a Strymon. I am worried at the prospect of falling in love and spending a small fortune. The timeline sounds spectacular in all the demos I've heard. 

Not sure I could spend Strymon monies on a dirt box though
    I dipped my toe with the flint and it's spectacular.
  • I'm still yet to try a Strymon. I am worried at the prospect of falling in love and spending a small fortune. The timeline sounds spectacular in all the demos I've heard. 

Not sure I could spend Strymon monies on a dirt box though
    I dipped my toe with the flint and it's spectacular.
    The Hall reverb and harmonic trem are beautiful.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    I think the Riverside is quite a cool concept. 

I spoke to a couple of FX designers in the past about doing this in the analogue domain and they mentioned that the digitally controlled analogue pots as used in things like the H&K Switchblade and Grandmeister are horrible and would over complicate the pedal so doing it digital with analogue clipping is probably a good compromise. 

You can actually do something fairly similar with any decent multi fx. When I had a GT-100 I found that if you stuck a MIAB type pedal in the loop you could stick an EQ before and after it in the patch and then by tweaking about you could have any number of different gains and tones by pushing different frequencies. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    sgosden said:

Just the one preset on the favourite switch and whatever is currently dialled in, so two. If you add an external boost switch, you get +6dB of boost, so I suppose technically you've got 3.
    I saw a video where it was demoed with an external expression pedal.  You could definitely get a third sound with that that would be more than just adding boost.  E.g you could set a low gain sound with flat mids with the expression pedal in the heel position, and a higher gain sound with boosted mids and a higher volume level in the toe position.  The expression pedal would then allow not just the two extremes but all points in between as well.

I really like the look of this.  When I looked at the weekend, no UK dealers that I could find still had it in stock though.
  • I've just listened to the Strymon vidoes. What are they thinking? Its sounds pretty average on those! But so do the basic tones they are getting from the amps.
  • I've just listened to the Strymon vidoes. What are they thinking? Its sounds pretty average on those! But so do the basic tones they are getting from the amps.
    Those demo videos absolutely do not do this pedal justice.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    You can use an external favourite switch as a boost as well. If you don't use fuzz, dirt-wise you could pretty much do a whole gig with just the Riverside.
    I can also easily do a whole Gig without it!
    Because Double Decker and Helix?
    Home use tools for me :) all my giging  dirt needs covered by the rather wonderful brunetti pleximan :) also trying to talk myself out of gas!

I must admit I'd like to hear one of these in the flesh.  The strymon stuff I've used has been very good. Is this a 100% digital pedal?
    Are you still using the Pleximan @Teetonetal  ?
    #thebatesmotelband
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    I'd like to hear too - I was hoping this being released was the start of Strymon putting together multi fx units as they'd found a way to make digital dirt 'acceptable' to the tgp crowd but it all seems to have got quiet...
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7803
    @BGG yes, I love it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    @BGG yes, I love it!
    Thanks for the reply :) I'm torn between a V40 and a Pleximan ... leaning way more towards the Pleximan.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7803
    @BGG will PM you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom