Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

this thread has probably run its course

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    This site is incredibly light in its moderation.
    Try talking about any of the stuff we talk about on The Gear Page, TDPRI, Seven String or any of the other guitar forums.
    You'd be shut down immediately and banned.

With no exaggeration the modmins do an incredible job at balancing the various difficult personalities on this site, whilst still allowing people to have a fairly free agenda about what they want to discuss.
    There has to be *some* moderation- we've proved that over and over when contentious topics turn toxic and people start being nasty.
    I'm not having a go at anyone- I've not been perfect here myself.

We should give them a break- we have no advertising to distract and most people use this place without contributing anything financially.
    We are very lucky.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24655
    I got banned from the EBMM forum for talking about the modifications to my stingray.

This place is far more balanced.
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Deijavoo said:
    When we had a more lenient approach it led to so much shit coming our way that we got to the point that we seriously considered jacking it in. 
    Please don't think I'm being flippant here but why don't you just jack it in?

What benefit is there for having this site? It sure doesn't seem to be the easy life or the kudos.

As for the legal threats I thought there was two at the moment, both from complete snowflakey charlatans with no legal standpoint.*

*The expression of my opinion on this post is my own and not that of the fretboard on a whole. As everyone's is.

Because the other day someone I don't know realised I was without an amp at the moment offered to lend me one out of the blue expecting nothing in return.

Because when I mentioned that I was trying to improve my maths someone else got in touch to provide me with access to resources that would help me. 

The community on here is amazing. At times I get thoroughly pissed off with it, but knowing the massive amount of value people get out of it not just for music, but for people going through real life issues it would be a terrible shame if it were to go away.
    Cool, well keep up the good work then man. I for one have benefited massively from this site, mainly through the cool people I've met. As pissed off as I do get at it like an old(er) man yelling at clouds I have improved in lots of areas of knowledge thanks to MR and here. 

On real life issues, that's very true too. There have been lots here, people feeling suicidal, people dealing with terminal illness, marriage breakups, unwanted impending parenthood, financial hardship, substance dependence issues. I'm glad that people here are willing to talk and support. 

Just a shame that bell-end-o-meter can go into hyperdrive from time to time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15991
    I got banned from the EBMM forum for talking about the modifications to my stingray.

This place is far more balanced.

He poked it's eyes out
    tae be or not tae be
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited November 2016
    I have no problem with this place and also think the moderation is a touch light in places even!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Im not sure I'd say I have a problem with anything. I think it's more like the culture has changed. The subjective part is that I think it's for the worse, others might see it as an improvement.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16793
    Im not sure I'd say I have a problem with anything. I think it's more like the culture has changed. The subjective part is that I think it's for the worse, others might see it as an improvement.
    I would say most of it is just as it ever was.  Forums ebb and flow, people come and go.   it is what it is
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26768
    edited November 2016
    This occurred most recently on Drew's departure thread but this phrase in particular and this kind of moderation in general is part of the reason why I'm not as active on the forum as I used to be. 

I'm unlikely to flounce but tbh I'm finding the place less engaging than I used to, I don't appreciate being told what I'm allowed to discuss and what I'm not. 
    Here's the thing - we generally try to calm things down when a thread's descending into insults and name-calling, in the spirit of keeping things happy and harmonious. The Chappers stuff was a prime example - we tried to encourage people (lightly) not to do it, so instead of doing the adult thing they upped the ante and got really personal. When flat-out told to stop, they went all-in and started bringing his wife, Lee's family etc into it.

As noted on the last Andertons thread, I ended up having to personally apologise to Lee Anderton for that particular mess. It also effectively resulted in the end of the relationship with Andertons - one that was actually starting to prove useful to the community as a whole.

That's the thing. The fact that somebody doesn't post here doesn't mean they don't read it or that they can't be hurt by it, and some of the people on here get really hurtful.

That makes us kinda stuck. We want nice things for the forum and for the community we play caretaker for, but...some folk just can't help themselves and descend to the level of knuckle-dragging YouTube commenters (EDIT: on a personal note...there's also that as the admins, we're effectively the de-facto spokespeople for this community, and some of this stuff can be bloody embarrassing).

It was the same with Drew's departure thread. It could've been discussed with an adult perspective, but some people decided they had to start getting personal about it in the full knowledge that he couldn't reply. At that point, I could've started handing out warnings (at which point I'm called an apologist at best, or a fascist at worst) which would've just upped the ante. I could then have started handing out cooler sentences because nobody who's having a pop is ever likely to change the story in their mind regardless of logic or facts (at which point I'm called a Nazi at worst). By this time, I'll have spent hours on it when I could've been doing my actual job or spending time with my family.

So you see...there aren't any off-limits topics. There are just off-limits ways of speaking about people who can't respond; that's detailed in our Behaviours 2.0 thread.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Can't keep eerybody happy, but this place is miles better than MR was. I think there's a general shift in the feeling of the whole population as winter is coming in on the back end of a shite year.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    It's not an 'in joke' dumping on people. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    edited November 2016
    Everyone should have sex with everyone
  • This occurred most recently on Drew's departure thread but this phrase in particular and this kind of moderation in general is part of the reason why I'm not as active on the forum as I used to be. 

I'm unlikely to flounce but tbh I'm finding the place less engaging than I used to, I don't appreciate being told what I'm allowed to discuss and what I'm not. 
    Sit down. Breathe. And remember it's just a message board. 

I'll back up Digi's words above. I think the mods here keep a good hand on things here. 

• OK, I was thinking about the "gradual creep" mentioned earlier, so I had a look in the database.

Not counting forum information threads, classifieds threads where the OP broke rules etc, a total of 24 threads have been closed since the beginning of 2016, compared with 34 in 2015.

That may seem like a lot, until you consider that the total number of threads started this year is 24,828 compared with 29,193 last year, so that's a .097% close rate this year versus a 0.116% close rate last year. Either way you cut it, it's a pretty bloody small number, but the "gradual creep" is actually heading in the opposite direction.

Yes, I'm having trouble sleeping at the moment. I get bored of staring at the ceiling.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    But everyone still gets to have sex with each other or their wives?  We're pack animals, isolation and insular lives lead to lunacy or insanity, we should share though eh.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22252
    edited November 2016
    Deijavoo said:
    Please don't think I'm being flippant here but why don't you just jack it in?

What benefit is there for having this site? It sure doesn't seem to be the easy life or the kudos.

As for the legal threats I thought there was two at the moment, both from complete snowflakey charlatans with no legal standpoint.*

*The expression of my opinion on this post is my own and not that of the fretboard on a whole. As everyone's is.

No, it isn't easy. After JC's threats, Digi filled me in on some of the stuff behind the scenes and there is a lot of work.

monquixote said:

Because the other day someone I don't know realised I was without an amp at the moment offered to lend me one out of the blue expecting nothing in return.

Because when I mentioned that I was trying to improve my maths someone else got in touch to provide me with access to resources that would help me. 

The community on here is amazing. At times I get thoroughly pissed off with it, but knowing the massive amount of value people get out of it not just for music, but for people going through real life issues it would be a terrible shame if it were to go away.
    That's it in a nutshell. I know that Drew would say this forum sometimes wound him up totally but even he would have to admit that this forum backed him up incredibly well after he got scammed by Master Fingland and he got his money back, both in the form of arsehole posters like myself and Binge and mods like Digi. People do argue and they also help people out. 

Yes, I'm having trouble sleeping at the moment. I get bored of staring at the ceiling.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11637
    edited November 2016 tFB Trader
    The trouble with the firebrand wind up merchants that some seem so keen on (allowing them to sit with a bowl of popcorn and watch the drama and wailing erupt from the comfort of their armchair) is that most of the time the victim isn't them.
    i have lived with a couple of people who were both charismatic and sharp witted yet evil, who got everyone's attention with an attack on one person or another, which many of those gathered thought fucking hysterical, especially as if the victim tried to stand up for themselves they had enough of a gift with words to make that person look even more stupid.
    it was hysterical to many of those watching UNTIL they were on the receiving end and then shit got real for them.
    It's called bullying and it's not clever and the person complaining isn't from planet snowflake and needing a safe space ....they don't want to be the victim of abuse.

i was glad to get away from these two people as they were very toxic.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    @heartfeltdawn that's cool.  Sorry but I didn't realise how much work was needed in such petty and completely childish shit. What a pair of cock sombreros they are. I hope both of them catch a really nasty common cold.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Deijavoo said:
    @heartfeltdawn that's cool.  Sorry but I didn't realise how much work was needed in such petty and completely childish shit. What a pair of cock sombreros they are. I hope both of them catch a really nasty common cold.
    Jesus, that's a bit much
    My V key is broken