Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

this thread has probably run its course

What's Hot
This occurred most recently on Drew's departure thread but this phrase in particular and this kind of moderation in general is part of the reason why I'm not as active on the forum as I used to be. 

I'm unlikely to flounce but tbh I'm finding the place less engaging than I used to, I don't appreciate being told what I'm allowed to discuss and what I'm not. 
ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Understand that.  The way I look at it, it's a privilege to have a platform that is run and maintained voluntarily by nice people on which I can try and regain some sort of sanity and interest for free whilst posting my shit.

Even if the community buys the pub you still respect the barman, unless they are a lazy patronising idiot.  The mods are nothing but generous, patient, tolerant, giving and intelligent as far as I feel it.  I know the people make a forum, but it's give and take as I see it, sometimes the taking gets a bit much, we're all guilty of it.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 18reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8798
    The thread was flagged by several users as containing unacceptable content. In these situations Administrators have three options: disagree with the flag, agree and remove specific content, or agree and close the thread. In view of the way the thread was going, i.e. increasingly vituperative, it was decided to close the thread. It has happened before to other threads. It will happen again.
    I don't appreciate being told what I'm allowed to discuss and what I'm not. 
    If you want to continue discussing Drew's departure then feel free to open a new thread.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24854
    edited November 2016
    I'm not particularly bothered - but I don't see what was so controversial about the Drew thread.

Inevitably his adherents lamented how 'misunderstood' he is - and others recounted the reasons why they were none-too-keen. I don't think it was particularly unpleasant - certainly nothing compared to what Drew said in a post-flounce thread about me...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I dont think I even posted in that thread, it's not about that. It's more a gradual creep in this kind of thing. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28907
    Roland said:
    The thread was flagged by several users as containing unacceptable content. In these situations Administrators have three options: disagree with the flag, agree and remove specific content, or agree and close the thread.
    And none of those options result in no-one whining about it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    I really appreciate the forum, generally like it a lot, and the good work of the mods as well as the worthwhile contributers.

Drew's public flounce thread: Some users mocking him for trying engage and being honest about his feelings on what is a lifechanging experience, yet completely forgetting all his very worthwhile and helpful posts for them. You know, posts like where certain people want to copy and paste it all to their own fucking blog like it was their own words. If you didn't like things he said I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to ignore his posts. 

I've met some ace people via this website and Music Radar, but unfortunately I'm using it a lot less now too. I disagreed with probably 99% of what Chillidoggy had to on say politics but his banter on just about everything else made me love reading his posts. We disagreed, took the piss and moved on. Gutted that guys like him, Drew, RHC and more have quit. Which is probably why I use it less now. 

(I do get the irony of such a long post when talking about using it less)

I realise that forums always evolve and change, it's just a shame for me personally that so many ace members have quit. If it's better now for the majority then that's cool, hope everyone enjoys it more now. I tend to look in the classifieds for the most part now ogling gear or wishing I had Bucket's fingers.

Merry Christmas.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    Roland said:
    The thread was flagged by several users as containing unacceptable content. In these situations Administrators have three options: disagree with the flag, agree and remove specific content, or agree and close the thread.
    And none of those options result in no-one whining about it.
    Tbh let people whine about it, I don't see it as a problem. Others might feel differently and if that's how the majority feel then maybe its a good thing that this place is run like that but it makes the place less attractive to me.

Take the Chappers thing for example, a few vocal whingers effectively removed a forum in-joke and as a result diminished the community.

In 2018 we might not even be allowed to make jokes about jaffakirk, sinking someones funnyship might be considered a threat etc.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Tbh let people whine about it, I don't see it as a problem. Others might feel differently and if that's how the majority feel then maybe its a good thing that this place is run like that but it makes the place less attractive to me.

It occurs to me (and they called me slow) that that post might have looked like I was calling you a whiner - I didn't mean that at all. I understand your position; I also understand the mod's position, and yes, I have splinters in my bum from sitting on this fence.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17718
    tFB Trader
    It's not about censoring people it's about doing whatever is required to reduce the administrative overhead of running the site because the alternative is shutting it down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4337

Take the Chappers thing for example, a few vocal whingers effectively removed a forum in-joke and as a result diminished the community.

And therein lies the problem I suspect. I was one of yer Chapman whingers, as all I saw was a thread having a pop and felt like defending the man.  No idea it was a 'forum in-joke' having only been around for a prescribed time frame. 

I guess the community changes but that's life I guess. 
  • It's not about censoring people it's about doing whatever is required to reduce the administrative overhead of running the site because the alternative is shutting it down.

I don't buy this tbh as the alternative I'm suggesting is doing less moderation. I don't think the music radar guys were throwing more than 5 mins a week at the old site. But while I am commenting about the level moderation in general I am also talking about something specific which is the ever increasing instances of this happening in relatively benign threads where one person has made a judgement call that no one else can possibly have anything of value to say on a subject. I find that pretty distasteful even if it's a thread I have no intention of posting in and to be honest I find it preposterously arrogant (and I'm pretty arrogant myself at times but would never presume that it is impossible for anyone to contribute anything on a subject).
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:

It occurs to me (and they called me slow) that that post might have looked like I was calling you a whiner - I didn't mean that at all. I understand your position; I also understand the mod's position, and yes, I have splinters in my bum from sitting on this fence.
    I hadn't considered that but now you're making me wonder....... Anyway I totally get that there are some people who want more of a "safe space" feel. I'm pointing out that I'm not one of them and I would hazard a guess that some of the people who have left are the same. As much as he wound me up I miss the days where Frankus was full on armchair phsycho-analyzing everyone then deleting is own posts or threads like Clint Boxcutter. Even Steedie.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    tFB Trader
    It's not about censoring people it's about doing whatever is required to reduce the administrative overhead of running the site because the alternative is shutting it down.

I don't buy this tbh as the alternative I'm suggesting is doing less moderation. I don't think the music radar guys were throwing more than 5 mins a week at the old site. But while I am commenting about the level moderation in general I am also talking about something specific which is the ever increasing instances of this happening in relatively benign threads where one person has made a judgement call that no one else can possibly have anything of value to say on a subject. I find that pretty distasteful even if it's a thread I have no intention of posting in and to be honest I find it preposterously arrogant (and I'm pretty arrogant myself at times but would never presume that it is impossible for anyone to contribute anything on a subject).
    We are currently dealing with someone making various legal threats because of content that we allowed on the site. 

That's one example of how not deleting/closing things causes a problem.
  • I'm sorry to hear that, taking a guess at who/what it's about I think we're talking about different things though. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ

I hadn't considered that but now you're making me wonder.......
    Well, stick with your original thought and ignore my liberal hand-wringing.
  • I also miss fucking paragraphs working.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ

I don't think the music radar guys were throwing more than 5 mins a week at the old site.
    True, but the spammods were putting in considerably more time than that, and all we got for it was shit.

Either we weren't doing enough to stop the tidal waves of filth and abuse, or we were fascists.
    tFB Trader
    When we had a more lenient approach it led to so much shit coming our way that we got to the point that we seriously considered jacking it in. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    When we had a more lenient approach it led to so much shit coming our way that we got to the point that we seriously considered jacking it in. 
    Please don't think I'm being flippant here but why don't you just jack it in?

What benefit is there for having this site? It sure doesn't seem to be the easy life or the kudos.

As for the legal threats I thought there was two at the moment, both from complete snowflakey charlatans with no legal standpoint.*

*The expression of my opinion on this post is my own and not that of the fretboard on a whole. As everyone's is.

tFB Trader
    Deijavoo said:
    Please don't think I'm being flippant here but why don't you just jack it in?

What benefit is there for having this site? It sure doesn't seem to be the easy life or the kudos.

As for the legal threats I thought there was two at the moment, both from complete snowflakey charlatans with no legal standpoint.*

*The expression of my opinion on this post is my own and not that of the fretboard on a whole. As everyone's is.

Because the other day someone I don't know realised I was without an amp at the moment offered to lend me one out of the blue expecting nothing in return.

Because when I mentioned that I was trying to improve my maths someone else got in touch to provide me with access to resources that would help me. 

The community on here is amazing. At times I get thoroughly pissed off with it, but knowing the massive amount of value people get out of it not just for music, but for people going through real life issues it would be a terrible shame if it were to go away.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 18reaction image Wisdom