Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Designated Survivor

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26731
edited November 2016 in Off Topic
I passed on it when it first started, but now I'm on episode 2 and it's surprised me by being very watchable...in fact, verging on very good indeed.

It's quite intelligent (although not on a par with West Wing etc, obviously), and the characters are engaging - it seems to focus on the human aspect, which is unusual for a show like this.

The only frustration is that even in the second episode, it's starting to show slight signs of being procedural.

Anybody else watching it?

EDIT: Anybody coming in with spoilers will be summarily banned.
<space for hire>
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Bruce Willis is a ghost.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    They're all dead.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11904
    I am but without it being an entire season dumped on Netflix I am getting impatient! No new episodes until December at the moment for Ep7.

without spoilers, it's good to see Sutherland playing a non-jack action role.  Maggie Q is cute as ever!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I am but without it being an entire season dumped on Netflix I am getting impatient! No new episodes until December at the moment for Ep7.

without spoilers, it's good to see Sutherland playing a non-jack action role.  Maggie Q is cute as ever!

I really hate it when they release one episode at a time. It's the biggest thing streaming has over TV surely?! 

Going to try this show after I've finished Adventure Time. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5292
    i ran out of an ability to absorb any more cheesy schmaltz and gave up on what was otherwise a promising show...currently watching the wire for the first time
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16754
    I did the first two, very good, but I am not hooked yet 
  • Yeah you have to get past 1/2 I was Ho hum but pushed on and by 5 I was waiting for the next instalment. I would of liked it better on demand and just binge it but hey I am enjoying so a highlight when a new episode happens
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Seen the first couple, quite enjoying it. Also enjoyed Start Up the other week. It got average reviews but I enjoyed it for what it was.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I started watching it, it's very intriguing. I like the president he's trying to be, i can't see anybody like that being president for long after a tragedy like that if it was real though.
    My V key is broken
  • I tried watching but it seemed pretty farcical and I couldn't take it seriously. In my head it should be named "The President's neck is missing" like one of the movie titles from the Simpsons.
  • mgaw said:
    i ran out of an ability to absorb any more cheesy schmaltz and gave up on what was otherwise a promising show...currently watching the wire for the first time

"The Wire" - you're in for a treat mate - I envy you. One of the best HBO productions, and there are few gems out their studios...

@digitalscream - I remember you were quite a a fan of "Person of interest". Is it something similar then?
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1384
    Watching it right now as a matter of fact. I am on the fence currently- just done House of Cards and The Crown which were both outstanding so I can't help feeling that I have been a bit spoilt with those
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

Best thing since The Wire...

;)

• @digitalscream - I remember you were quite a a fan of "Person of interest". Is it something similar then?
    Only inasmuch as, with every episode, his life gets almost imperceptibly worse. To be honest, it has more in common with 24 than PoI.
    <space for hire>
  • Might check this out, I was well into POI.
    although Man in the High Castle starts up again in a few days.........
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    edited December 2016
    I just finished episode 9 last night, I like it enough to keep watching and the stories entertaining which is what I want from the Telly.  I do keep expecting them to send in Bauer to sort shit out though.

I watched 5 episodes of man in the high castle and gave up. 
    I watched the first season of POI, does it get any better?
  • grungebob said:

Yes - it becomes a lot less procedural, particularly in the last season. In fact, the last season is the best of all of them IMO...which is unusual for a shortened-order, let's-just-finish-the-story season.
    <space for hire>
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    grungebob said:

Yes - it becomes a lot less procedural, particularly in the last season. In fact, the last season is the best of all of them IMO...which is unusual for a shortened-order, let's-just-finish-the-story season.
    ok cool, ill add it to my list
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2202
    I'm now completely gripped by Designated Survivor. The storyline really racks up the tension and it's a plus that there are some very charismatic women in the cast.
    It's not a competition.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26731
    I'm now completely gripped by Designated Survivor. The storyline really racks up the tension and it's a plus that there are some very charismatic women in the cast.
    The only thing that bugs me about Designated Survivor - and it's a tiny thing, really - is that every now and then Sutherland shows a little bit of anger and I keep expecting him to stick a Bluetooth headset on, crack out the 9mm and go all Jack Bauer on their asses.
    <space for hire>