A-level results?

What's Hot
Good luck  to anyone getting theirs today. Hope all goes well..!
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I got mine 22 years today! EEK!

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    Only 10 years since mine but my god does it make me feel old!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I did AS Economics for fun this year, might nip out at lunch to get the result!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    There's probably more people on here getting blood pressure results today than there are A level results, but good luck to those that are lucky enough to be that young (or who have youngens). :P
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited August 2013
    I got mine 38 years ago. gulp!

edit since some are boasting or otherwise about their grades, mine were Physics=A, Maths=C, Economics=E

the latter proves you can BS & woffle and still pass at it ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26666
    My daughter got hers...much stress this morning, followed by much relief and breathing again.

It seems quite a few of her friends didn't make their offer grades, though :(
    <space for hire>
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited August 2013
    I never got to do any A-levels. The headmaster and I had an arrangement: I wouldn't ask to stay on at school, and he wouldn't let me. I think the last straw might have been something to do with the broken blackboard incident. I'd like to say I was framed, but he had me bang to rights on that one. I think he might have been relieved when he discovered I'd chosen to leave without being pushed, as I'd had a bit of a chequered school career.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750

I've just finished giving out the results and can breathe a sigh of relief!    Luckily all my students who applied for Uni got into the courses they wanted, so the time I'd put aside today and tomorrow for ringing around and helping with clearing is free and everyone has gone home happy :)

Hopefully we won't have too much of the usual media comments about how easy it is compared to the past.

Good luck to anyone getting results today!!!! :)

• 36 years ago, two C's got me a place...
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042

25 years ago for me.  I got into Nottingham with a C and a D (I did get a couple of Bs too, but not for subjects I was going to pursue). 

The two key grades Spanish (C) and English Lit (D) , were rather embarrassing because a) I'm a quarter Spanish and B) my dad was an English lit teacher.  I'd been predicted A/B for both, so I fucked up in a fairly impressive way. 

Still, I celebrated the day like most of my friends by getting howling pissed. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Got mine today.

Meh.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    31 years ago I got a C in Biology, no project (1 grade) and no revision, what so ever.

I did fail Physics and Maths tho  :D
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33809
    I can now take a Rampant Rabbit without wincing.. but only when @bertie is driving.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539

20 years ago for me, D in Politics, B in Music. Still managed to get onto a Uni course that I wanted, and then turned out to be an equally crap student there. I am better in a real work environment, that fukc for that.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33809
    edited August 2013
    I wasn't educated in the UK.
    In Oz we have different exams in each state.
    NSW, where I finished High School, had the HSC or Higher Schools Certificate, which when I did it was a mark out of 500.
    I think it is a mark out of 100 now.

Maths, English and one science (Physics, Biology or Chemistry) are compulsory.
    You can also do 'extra units' in Maths or English- 2unit is standard- 3 unit was harder and an extra 2-4 hours a week in classes.

I did 2 unit Maths, 3 unit Maths, 2 unit English, 3 unit English, History, Physics & Music.
    They would also scale the result- a 50% mark in 3unit Math would scale up over 75 or 80% in 2u maths.
    I know a few people who absolutely bombed 3unit subjects but still managed very good unit entrance marks just because the scaling worked in their favour.
    It was a weird system.
    It has probably all changed now- given I finished in 1990.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Only 10 years since mine but my god does it make me feel old!
    Did you do them when you were 18? That would make us around the same age.

I thought you were older than that, and I think I'm younger than I am.
    My V key is broken
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited August 2013

I didn't really concentrate that much during my first year of A-levels...so I dropped out and went to a tech college to do a B-Tec. That went much better (aka easier) and I ended up on the same Uni course as some of my old college friends (but a year behind).

Got me a BEng so all worked out well in the end.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I'm jealous of all the ones who have done well and will go to uni and do well, then get employed in a proper job and do well and have a purpose in life.
    My V key is broken
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16737
    John_P said:

Hopefully we won't have too much of the usual media comments about how easy it is compared to the past.

I do wish, just once, they would take it as a sign that teaching is (generally) better than it used to be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

20 years ago for me.

Sometimes I wish I'd tried harder. But I ain't done too badly....

College - City and Guilds distinctions/credits

Uni - dropped out after 1 year, I hated it....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)