Madelaine Peyroux - live at RFH and.....

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4705
edited November 2016 in Music
(Last night) - she was amazingly good but her guitarist was something else.  What I thought was a 335 Dot, and I think, a Deluxe Reverb (could be wrong) and this guy just played brilliantly.  Jazzy all the way, lovely muted tones, superb slide playing, finger picking, reggae on a Linton Kwezi Johnson song, blues to blow you away.  Effing top effing class, probably some of the best playing I've ever heard, and what tone.  And so understated.

So I looked him up when I got home.  Jon Herrington - Steely Dan.  OK - that explains a lot - and the guitar was a CS-336, not a Dot, and it sounded sooooooooo good.

Totally recommended that you should see the trio - her, double bass, guitar - if you get the chance.  If you like music, you will love it.  Sadly the tour has ended here but she's back in May so look out for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLpO4zfI_MI

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27621
    I have some of her albums - brilliant stuff when you're in that mood.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haven't seen a picture of her for 10 years or more... she has changed dramatically!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4705
    She has eaten several more pies than strictly necessary but can't half sing
    TTony said:
    I have some of her albums - brilliant stuff when you're in that mood.
    Actually better live as she is quite humorous and breaks up the gloom and doom a bit.  Plus, she did do three happy songs.....
  • I was quite tempted to see her in Brum, which is tonight ( so the tour hasn't ended just yet you London centric types!). Can't really see me getting there even if there are tickets. Assuming it was Jon on Later with her some great, great guitar work though.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited November 2016
    I was quite tempted to see her in Brum, which is tonight ( so the tour hasn't ended just yet you London centric types!). Can't really see me getting there even if there are tickets. Assuming it was Jon on Later with her some great, great guitar work though.

Sorry, didn't know there was more but try and go if you can.  Well worth it, just for the guitar playing.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Her new album is great .. worth a listen on Spotify if you have access. It's called Secular Hymns .. great guitar playing from Jon.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!