Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Say goodbye to your internet privacy

What's Hot

Comments

• hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I'm not really computer savvy so I shall be doing some research into VPN's. I don't like the thought of government offices going through my browsing history, I don't have anything to hide but It'll be tantamount to someone going through your mail.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's also worth bearing in mind that a lot of VPN encryption is actually crackable in real time using the government's tech (or, at least, their suppliers' tech)...particularly the default VPN software built into Windows.
    <space for hire>
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3026
    VPN has many uses, not just to allow users to access pron without the missus finding out. e.g. accessing on demand tv when you are not in the country of origin, you can route via a local data centre.

Sayng that, even though they have a legitimate reason for being, it won't be long until VPN are banned.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5568
    edited November 2016
    Approx £30 a year for VPN...
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    It is a massively stupid move overall. All they're effectively doing is pushing ordinary people into the space that they'd normally be looking for bad actors. Essentially they're just going to make the haystack bigger.

They'll have a job banning VPN's as there a standard business tool.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_Munkee said:
    It is a massively stupid move overall. All they're effectively doing is pushing ordinary people into the space that they'd normally be looking for bad actors. Essentially they're just going to make the haystack bigger.

They'll have a job banning VPN's as there a standard business tool.
    They won't ban VPNs, but I can see them trying to ban strong VPN encryption...because that worked out so well when the US government did it back in the 90s for banking encryption.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    They are talking about bringing the vpn exit points under the new law. Be interesting to see how they plan to apply uk law in foreign jurisdiction.
    It's also worth bearing in mind that a lot of VPN encryption is actually crackable in real time using the government's tech (or, at least, their suppliers' tech)...particularly the default VPN software built into Windows.
    Depends on how ahead of the game your chosen vpn provider are. Then again, all those jobs at Bletchly park must be for something.........

Oh, and you all have mobile phones, right?

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24456
    It's also worth bearing in mind that a lot of VPN encryption is actually crackable in real time using the government's tech (or, at least, their suppliers' tech)...particularly the default VPN software built into Windows.
    So what's the point of going to the trouble and expense if they can just bypass the encryption anyway?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Set a a PC to make tonnes of white noise and use a VPN and Tor. Job done. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    So what's the point of going to the trouble and expense if they can just bypass the encryption anyway?
    Notice how I didn't say that all VPN encryption is crackable in real time.
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24676
    Evilmags said:
    Set a a PC to make tonnes of white noise and use a VPN and Tor. Job done. 
    How do you get a PC to make white noise?
    Emp_Fab said:
    Do I need to tell you which VPN to use again? Thought you said you were listening Emp ;-)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    Part of me wants to get a VPN just on principle.  There's nothing that would get me into trouble (with the authorities or my wife) but they shouldn't be able to do this.  It's just explaining how to use it to my wife and my daughters seems like a lot of hassle.
    I was looking at the list of those who are permitted to look - I'm struggling to think of any govt dept or authority that hasn't been put on the list.

Are there any?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27714

It's not about Terrorism.It's about control.

the internet is a pain in the arse to government's that want to keep people ignorant .

Ahhh, but we don't need a government to keep people ignorant.

We've got the Daily Mail.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    How does a VPN work with items that require geographical knowledge?

Like buying a lottery ticket - the IP has to show the buyer is in the UK. That sort of thing?
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    How does a VPN work with items that require geographical knowledge?

Like buying a lottery ticket - the IP has to show the buyer is in the UK. That sort of thing?
    If you need to be "in" a specific location, you choose an exit server that is in that location. This will have a "local" IP address
    This is how you get/got BBC iPlayer whilst actually being abroad.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • I'm not spending £30 a year to stop someone I don't know knowing which crochet patterns and curry recipes I'm looking at. I'll be a statistic to a stranger. Poor me.

I'm not spending £30 to stand up against someone with nothing but dangerous motivations taking my freedom away, My freedom, the freedom of my children and the freedom of others is not worth £30. Poor me.

Fixed that for ya ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom