Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Oh come on you guys Brian has a ...........................................

What's Hot

Comments

• Wow, what a bizarre pitch - god's voice? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28207
    slacker said:

No monkeys? 
    No; I think he thought he'd get away with stealing images but not with taking that. Though the soldering guide was lifted wholesale, as were the lists of mods.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The PGS video came up on my YouTube list, watched a bit. It's A N Other expensive valve amp and of marginal interest to me. 
    This is someone who does amp in a box pedals so using that knowledge to create an actual amp seems a reasonably logical step. How many people say they want an amp, for example, with Fender cleans and Marshall drive? Wampler make pedals to that effect so put in the same big box with a sympathetically voiced SS power stage would be good, wouldn't it? 
    Not a criticism of Brian or the amp but it's not a very exciting new product ( to me).

ICBM said:
    Sassafras said:
    So, pretty much like every new amp on the market.
    Do these guys all share the same script?
    Exactly.

Yawn.

Now, if he'd used his 'intimate knowledge of circuits' to build a solid-state amp that sounded good, I might be slightly interested.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    Sporky said:
    slacker said:

No monkeys? 
    No; I think he thought he'd get away with stealing images but not with taking that. Though the soldering guide was lifted wholesale, as were the lists of mods.
    Shame. Anyway he does have an intimate knowledge of circuits, there just yours. I've still got a Badger Baiter. 
  • sounds good, when did 40w become high headroom though?

I do the mid switch thing but use two switches for high mids and lows mids, gives you much more control.

It's not high headroom because of 40w. It's high headroom because it's designed to stay clean nearly all the way up. It does clip a little bit on '10' though.
  • WamplerPedalsWamplerPedals Frets: 52
    edited November 2016
    Sporky said:
    Whats the beef with Brian Wampler? He seems like a nice enough bloke, and his youtube channel can be very entertaining...
    Early in his pedal-related career, Brian sold ebooks. They were just collections of material created by others, but Brian was happy to sell them for money - no credit, no references, certainly none of the profit went to the people who actually created the material. They included a load of my drawings and other material culled from my site, and he did the same other people - "his" soldering guide, for instance, was lifted straight from another website, word for word, picture for picture.

That he's regarded as any sort of design guru - or, in fact, as anything other than a plagiarist - is utterly bizarre to me.
    Oh yeah, I remember you. I thought we cleared this up? Yes, I made a mistake back in, what, 2003(?) or so. The other pictures used in that book were used by permission. As far as "mods", let's be real honest here - modifying pedals by changing a couple of parts is pretty easy and many mods will look similar just because of electronics and math.

Take a tubescreamer for example. How do you increase bass without adding additional opamps or gain stages or other active electronics? How do you do it by changing a few parts? Well, you can increase input/output caps (doesn't do much) or you can increase the NFB off the first gain stage by changing a cap. Not really rocket science. Since that's "just the way it works" does that mean it's been copied? Alternatively you can add additional circuitry such as part of a BAX stage along with volume recovery but that's way out of the range of most people modifying pedals for the first time. The idea was to bring simplicity to the average guitar player wanting to mess around with electronics without having to do any research or mess with any condescending forumites to ask how to do it.

I'll leave this ball in your court Sporky... please tell me how you'd like me to make things right with you. I thought this was all worked out years ago but it seems you're still holding a grudge. I have no interest with arguing with an anonymous user over the internet. Email me @ brian@wamplerpedals.com, shoot me your phone number and I'll give you a call and we can work things out like grown ups and stuff :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2016
    Wow, what a bizarre pitch - god's voice? 
    Yeah, it'll probably change. I wrote that in 3 minutes as it was Thanksgiving and PGS released the video early, so I had to rush to get a page up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Sassafras said:
    So, pretty much like every new amp on the market.
    Do these guys all share the same script?
    Exactly.

Yawn.

Now, if he'd used his 'intimate knowledge of circuits' to build a solid-state amp that sounded good, I might be slightly interested.
    Nope, as a company I have to respond to what the market wants. Not many people are walking into Sweetwater and asking for their "solid state amp that sounds as good as a tube amp". There's a market for that, it just isn't as big and prevalent as tube amps at this time. DSP is getting bigger all the time though, that's more likely where things are headed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5165
    tone1 said:
    Brian is a registered member of the fretboard. He might be along soon to comment  :)
    I told you he would :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1 said:
    tone1 said:
    Brian is a registered member of the fretboard. He might be along soon to comment  :)
    I told you he would :)
    Yup! :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    WamplerPedals said:

Nope, as a company I have to respond to what the market wants. Not many people are walking into Sweetwater and asking for their "solid state amp that sounds as good as a tube amp". There's a market for that, it just isn't as big and prevalent as tube amps at this time. DSP is getting bigger all the time though, that's more likely where things are headed.
    Thanks for responding despite my tone :).

I understand it's not what most of the market thinks it wants, but I assume you aren't going to be making a vast number of them anyway. And if anything, a high-headroom clean amp that's a great pedal platform should be precisely what a high-quality solid-state amp is best for - not that it sounds "as good" as a tube amp, but that it should be possible to make it sound *better*. Especially when they have real advantages for headroom, weight and reliability as well.

If you build it, they will come…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2016
    ICBM said:
    WamplerPedals said:

Thanks for responding despite my tone .

I understand it's not what most of the market thinks it wants, but I assume you aren't going to be making a vast number of them anyway. And if anything, a high-headroom clean amp that's a great pedal platform should be precisely what a high-quality solid-state amp is best for - not that it sounds "as good" as a tube amp, but that it should be possible to make it sound *better*. Especially when they have real advantages for headroom, weight and reliability as well.

If you build it, they will come…
    Actually, this amp is going to be one of many to come. It's being shipped to retailers all around the world. But, unfortunately guitarists are stubborn and slow to change. They like their tube amps. A solid state analog amp just isn't desired on the mass level. Right now, Fractal/Kemper/etc DSP based devices are becoming more and more accepted, so that may be an avenue we pursue at the right time.

That's not a put down, though. I definitely prefer tube to solid state as well where sound is concerned, whether that's because of programming, or stubbornness is up for debate haha :D
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28207
    edited November 2016

Oh yeah, I remember you. I thought we cleared this up? Yes, I made a mistake back in, what, 2003(?) or so. The other pictures used in that book were used by permission.

[snip]

I'll leave this ball in your court Sporky... please tell me how you'd like me to make things right with you. I thought this was all worked out years ago but it seems you're still holding a grudge. I have no interest with arguing with an anonymous user over the internet. Email me @ brian@wamplerpedals.com, shoot me your phone number and I'll give you a call and we can work things out like grown ups and stuff
    Well, y'see, this is the problem.

You most definitely didn't have permission for the soldering guide you stole - it was the guy whose work you stole who told me about what you'd done in the first place.

You never apologised then, and even now you're acting as if I wronged you and it's up to me to fix it.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:

That he's regarded as any sort of design guru - or, in fact, as anything other than a plagiarist - is utterly bizarre to me.
    ... mess with any condescending forumites to ask how to do it.

I'll leave this ball in your court Sporky... 
    And a backhand return flies across the net...
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Ive got court side seats
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Popcorn and Nachos ordered.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• Sporky said:

Oh yeah, I remember you. I thought we cleared this up? Yes, I made a mistake back in, what, 2003(?) or so. The other pictures used in that book were used by permission.

[snip]

I'll leave this ball in your court Sporky... please tell me how you'd like me to make things right with you. I thought this was all worked out years ago but it seems you're still holding a grudge. I have no interest with arguing with an anonymous user over the internet. Email me @ brian@wamplerpedals.com, shoot me your phone number and I'll give you a call and we can work things out like grown ups and stuff
    Well, y'see, this is the problem.

You most definitely didn't have permission for the soldering guide you stole - it was the guy whose work you stole who told me about what you'd done in the first place.

You never apologised then, and even now you're acting as if I wronged you and it's up to me to fix it.

So if I understand correctly, the very very very first little ebook thingy, back in 2003 or so, I wrongfully copied/pasted someone else's "How to solder" guide in there. Ok, I'll accept that. I'm sorry.

Now, how do you want to let this go and move on from here?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    While we're doing the mea culpas, can I just say I worked with a very clever chap in the late 80s, and since then I have re-used what I learned from him a thousand times over and got paid very well by my customers for my 'problem solving ideas'?
  • Im excited about this amp, @WamplerPedals are fantastic. 

My plextortion is incredible.

Although do me a favour, make a small tube amp with an effects loop.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Honestly - I think Brian is one of the good guys, I've owned lots of his pedals - Plextortion, Black 65, Pinnacle x2 etc.

His Youtube channel is informative and fun, and he seems an honest guy.

He's putting himself out here, and seems pretty reasonable