5 poxy watts!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    edited November 2016
    ecc83 said:

For one thing you would never find a 5watt and 50watt amplifiers that were identical in every respect OTHER than power output* They are sure to have different voicings. Then, even if you A/B'ed then through the same speaker, said speaker would have to be of some 200W+ rating in order not to thermally compress.
    The Mesa Express 5:50 comes quite close to this. Same amp, two different power output configurations. The stock speaker is a 90W Celestion, but you could possibly fit it with an EV 200-watter if you wanted…

In my opinion the 50W mode is still more than twice as perceptively loud as the 5W mode though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638
    ICBM said:
    ecc83 said:

For one thing you would never find a 5watt and 50watt amplifiers that were identical in every respect OTHER than power output* They are sure to have different voicings. Then, even if you A/B'ed then through the same speaker, said speaker would have to be of some 200W+ rating in order not to thermally compress.
    The Mesa Express 5:50 comes quite close to this. Same amp, two different power output configurations. The stock speaker is a 90W Celestion, but you could possibly fit it with an EV 200-watter if you wanted…

In my opinion the 50W mode is still more than twice as perceptively loud as the 5W mode though.

FCS! Trust you! Ok, heh, there IS one amplifier that qualifies. That 90W Celestion would be into serious compression since it is generally agreed that is starts at about 1/2 the power rating.

Glad you agree though, 50W into a 100dB/W/mtr speaker is seriously, very loud.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom