Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Buying or building a gaming PC

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Compare 6th gen to 4th gen. 
    worst were the P4 days. They ran hot.
    They ran hot because cooling tech wasn't what it is today. The top-rated P4 dissipated 84W - the average Haswell or Broadwell i7 chugs down 140W.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Compare 6th gen to 4th gen. 
    They ran hot because cooling tech wasn't what it is today. The top-rated P4 dissipated 84W - the average Haswell or Broadwell i7 chugs down 140W.

Some of the larger fans are astonishing - I loved the look of the be quiet dark rock pro 3 - absolutely massive and seemingly able to not only keep things cool, but allow overclocking to a good level on unlocked cpus - it's no longer all about watercooling. 

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Compare 6th gen to 4th gen. 
    http://ark.intel.com/products/family/88392/6th-Generation-Intel-Core-i7-Processors#@Desktop

So the average Haswell uses 140 watts when they're rated at 35, 65 and 91 watts? You mean the E range ?? They'd be far from average given that the average Broadwell is an i5 not the top end i7 ... most common skews tend to be in the $200-$300 dollar range, not the $600-$1500 dollar range because there's little benefit to most people not doing massively multi-threaded workloads.

Oh, and a top rated Pentium 4 had a TDP of 103W 

http://ark.intel.com/products/27502/Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-supporting-HT-Technology-3_20E-GHz-1M-Cache-800-MHz-FSB

Just sayin'
  • @Myranda - you're right, I was looking at the table for the -E CPUs; still, that's a valid comparison to the top-end P4s of the time (ie the highest-performing non-Xeon CPUs), it's just my description that's a bit wrong.

The P4 range was the equivalent of the i7, though, so there's zero point thinking about i5s etc. 

Oh, and we're both wrong - the P4 HT 670 and 672 both ran at 115W. Still proves my point but a little less emphatically.
    <space for hire>
  • DayZ and Arma should keep you busy gaming forever if you like that kind of thing and also BF1 although I still have massive love for BFBC2.

Check out frankieonpc on YouTube, he's just done a video on 2017 upcoming games.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7437
    DayZ and Arma should keep you busy gaming forever if you like that kind of thing and also BF1 although I still have massive love for BFBC2.

Check out frankieonpc on YouTube, he's just done a video on 2017 upcoming games.
    @fendergibson the Bad Company were my faves too !

Coincidentally a mate of mine did the voice of one of the characters
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom