Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

It's started.....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TTony said:
    Neighbours put outside lights up at the weekend.

So we're moving now.  Can't live next-door to people like that.

Tree & decs go up on the 18th.  Come down on NYD, generally with the recording of Jools' Hootenanny playing loud and a fair hairs of a few dogs to help the process.
    I'll see you on the 19th then. 

My own neighbours have just told me, in no uncertain terms, to fook off with me plan...they could have broken it to me gentler..what with the season and all. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Sunday was the first day of advent officially (even though it was November), so it isn't such a crime to put your Xmas tree up (yes, wife put ours up).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16721
    quarky said:
    Sunday was the first day of advent officially (even though it was November), so it isn't such a crime to put your Xmas tree up (yes, wife put ours up).
    I have been told this by one of my catholic friends.... why doesn't my advent calendar start until the first?
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    edited November 2016
    I live on my own so don't have a tree. I do have a large family though so the roughly conical stack of empty Amazon boxes that forms in the middle of my living room serves a similar function. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    Richardj said:
    We have a fresh cut tree from a local sustainable source, enjoy it for a few weeks and then burn it (outside!) on or just after twelfth night.
    After Christmas I cut the tree into 6 inch twigs, bag it up, and use it for fire lighting through the year.

Our tree will get erected a few days before the grandchildren come to stay, and they're arriving on the 17th.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Hmmmnnnnn ......... people who start Xmas in November .......

[takes out little black book]
  • 11yo daughter and chums are dressing our tree (plastic and proud) on Saturday, let's see if they've learnt yet that it's a 360 degree job.

Then we have a few garlands and shit dotted around the place, and that's it.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • To be fair, it was the first Sunday in advent for the evil religious lot.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    ours will go up this weekend. We have a fake tree we bought years ago, and a real tree in a big pot in the garden, that weighs a piggin ton, and gives me a hernia each time I move it.

all good though, I love all this business.

All comes down after NYD.

From this weekend there is something on every weekend til Christmas: victorian markets, fairs, food festivals, Chatsworth festivities, so there is a chance we might be overkilled with it all. We shall give it a good go though.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    merlin said:
    Sporky said:
    merlin said:
    I have never put one up (not being Christian an' all)

The tree thing is totally Pagan...
    Nor being Pagan! 
    And I agree totally, the whole celebration has Pagan roots. As does Easter, Passover, New Year, etc etc...
    Not sure that Passover has Pagan roots ..... ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Jalapeno said:
    merlin said:
    Sporky said:
    merlin said:
    I have never put one up (not being Christian an' all)

The tree thing is totally Pagan...
    Nor being Pagan! 
    And I agree totally, the whole celebration has Pagan roots. As does Easter, Passover, New Year, etc etc...
    Not sure that Passover has Pagan roots ..... ;)
    The Christian part of Easter has its roots in the Passover.  The chicks and bunnies are additions though.

As for Christmas, Jesus was most likely born at another time of year - possibly September/October during the Jewish feast of Tabernacles which would account for there being no room at the inn.  As this isn't certain it probably doesn't matter overmuch when it's celebrated, but the Christmas tree is relatively recent as far as I know.  I think it was popularised by Prince Albert.  Yule logs and Mistletoe have pagan roots as far as I know.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2246

The tree goes up the weekend before (real tree from the carnies down the road) for decoration we have a nativity, father Christmas and some buddhist prayer flags.

• I haven't had an Xmas Tree in years and nothing will change that this year, mainly because I don't see  the need for it all.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• Paul_C said:

When my ex-missus moved in she brought a tree with her (big fake thing with built-in lights (the tree, not the missus)) and I gave my tree to my daughter as she didn't have one.

Now the ex-missus (and tree) has gone I don't have one, I doubt I shall bother to buy one so that might be it for me and trees.
    No woman, no chri....stmas tree
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Brazilian rosewood for me. No other tree will do.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    What happened to the 12 days to Christmas, rocking up at the local pikie's or farm store and getting the last tree they have as was the tradition back in the day?  I despair at humanity I really do, it's still November FFS. 

Bring back horses and carts, there's too much traffic on the roads and too many people with cars and doing internet shopping.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock