Blue Chip picks

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Lewy said:
    Sassafras said:
    I remain very skeptical about these magic picks because I finger pick most of the time.
    Well then you're certainly qualified to assert that....Sassafras said:
    They can't make that much of an improvement to your sound.
    Why do some people assume that the other guy's a fool for making a choice they wouldn't?

Well, there are an awful lot of fools around.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    TimmyO said:
    No click or catch on the strong but not really imprecise feeling like something like those old Stubby things. 
    https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder242/45869242.jpg
    axisus said:
    ridiculous price for a plec. I don't care how amazing they are, I wouldn't even want to try one.
    https://www.thomann.de/de/artino_violin_bow_4_4_special_edition.htm?glp=1&gclid=CMP_4Nej29ACFUyNGwod2RMIjg

https://www.theviolinchannel.com/beares-auction-world-record-violin-bow-huberman-tourte/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7423
    DLM said:
    TimmyO said:
    No click or catch on the strong but not really imprecise feeling like something like those old Stubby things. 
    https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder242/45869242.jpg

lol

yeah, some words in a  row - *I* know what I mean :-)  
    Red ones are better. 
  • BC picks are wonderful. Primetones are really quite different. 
    I have tried a Tshell pick and it is maybe 10% up the road from a BC but when you factor in maintaining it and all the rest, the BC has it for me. Check out Wegen picks also. :+1: 
  • BC picks are wonderful. Primetones are really quite different. 
    I have tried a Tshell pick and it is maybe 10% up the road from a BC but when you factor in maintaining it and all the rest, the BC has it for me. Check out Wegen picks also. :+1: 

Wow, that Wegen website is hard to read (for us oldies... spidery thin black text on a terracotta background is a bit of a challenge). How do Wegen compare with BC?
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4218
    BC picks are wonderful. Primetones are really quite different. 

Wow, that Wegen website is hard to read (for us oldies... spidery thin black text on a terracotta background is a bit of a challenge). How do Wegen compare with BC?
    To my ears they sound a little less bright and they're not quite as slick over the string. The feel is quite different too - the material is kind of textured. They're not as meticulously made as BCs and every now and then you get a dud but they are of course a lot cheaper. And unlike BC they come in white as opposed to a uniquely losable brown which seems able to camouflage itself on just about any surface...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Try the Wolfram Precision Strike picks, they are pretty special

https://www.wolframslides.com/precision_strike_shuriken.php
    mellowsun said:

Interesting. Are the difference between those two models just aesthetic do you know?
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6686
    edited December 2016
    I recently had a look at the Blue Chip site and decided it was too much money to spend to try one. I also tried a carbon fibre pick and like the feel very much, but it has quite a brittle attack. Dunlop Jazz III max grips are great, if you like a smaller pick. I also have a John Pearse 2mm that works really well, warm, no brittle attack and incredibly smooth. Not cheap at a tenner though but nothing like as pricey as Blue Chips!  

• Lewy said:
    mellowsun said:

Interesting. Are the difference between those two models just aesthetic do you know?
    Hi guys,

David here, founder of Wolfram - thought I'd drop in to answer this.

The Nuclear (green/black) is a slightly harder material than the Magma, so it gives a slightly brighter tone.  It's a very small difference - both have a really solid, rich tone, which comes as much from the hand-sculpted and polished bevel and picking point as it does from the material.

Blue Chip and Charmed Life are great picks (I have both) and were my benchmark when developing Precision : Strike Shuriken - I hope I've been able to create an even better pick.

I understand that it's a big leap to pay so much for a pick that you haven't tried, so I operate a 14-day no-questions money back guarantee on all my products - if you buy one and don't like it, just return it.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Cheers,
    David

Wolfram

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.

wolframslides.com
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wolfram said:

Lewy said:
    mellowsun said:

Hi guys,

David here, founder of Wolfram - thought I'd drop in to answer this.

The Nuclear (green/black) is a slightly harder material than the Magma, so it gives a slightly brighter tone.  It's a very small difference - both have a really solid, rich tone, which comes as much from the hand-sculpted and polished bevel and picking point as it does from the material.

Blue Chip and Charmed Life are great picks (I have both) and were my benchmark when developing Precision : Strike Shuriken - I hope I've been able to create an even better pick.

I understand that it's a big leap to pay so much for a pick that you haven't tried, so I operate a 14-day no-questions money back guarantee on all my products - if you buy one and don't like it, just return it.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Cheers,
    David

Hi David. Thanks for posting this response! I've ordered one of each - looking forward to trying them out!
    Hi David, 

Thanks for getting in the thread. I'm still looking for the "perfect" plectrum... so far I've found great results with Dunlop Jazz III max grips, but they're a little too small. Pure carbon fibre feels great in the hand but there's just a bit too much attack, although the way they come off the string is great. I've never used tortoiseshell (and won't, on principle) but the John Pearse casein picks are pretty close to what I'm looking for in terms of attack and release. 

What do you recommend? I'm thinking that one each of the Precision : Strike Shuriken teardrop 1.4 and 1.75 for starters....

• merlin said:
    Hi David, 

Thanks for getting in the thread. I'm still looking for the "perfect" plectrum... so far I've found great results with Dunlop Jazz III max grips, but they're a little too small. Pure carbon fibre feels great in the hand but there's just a bit too much attack, although the way they come off the string is great. I've never used tortoiseshell (and won't, on principle) but the John Pearse casein picks are pretty close to what I'm looking for in terms of attack and release. 

What do you recommend? I'm thinking that one each of the Precision : Strike Shuriken teardrop 1.4 and 1.75 for starters....
    Hi Merlin,

Well, because of the opposing bevel, the Precision : Strike Shuriken picks play like they're thinner than they are.  Given that you like the Dunlop Jazz III, I think that the 1.75mm is probably the one for you, and has been very popular.  I have several customers who enjoy both the 1.75 and 1.4 (the 1.4 is a little brighter with a different character to the attack) and find they complement each other nicely.

I made some prototype casein picks while developing the Shuriken series; I preferred the tone of the Magma and Nuclear acrylic in this design.  I've not experimented with carbon fibre for picks - the challenge would be getting a durable, smooth, polished finish (most carbon composites are very strong but scratch easily, making them not a great choice for a pick). I've also never used tortoiseshell, so can't really compare or comment.

Cheers,
    David

Wolfram

wolframslides.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2016
    Sounds like good advice, thanks David. I'm going to order a 1.75mm Shuriken right now! 
    Just ordered a tear drop and a triangle....
  • I'm in for a couple of files and picks...self Christmas present! ;)
  • Thanks Guys, your orders are going out today.

Post back with your thoughts once you've had a chance to try them out - very keen to get your feedback.

Cheers,
    David

Wolfram

wolframslides.com
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7423
    My TP 50 and TAD-1R 60 arrived today - will see how I get on 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Wolfram said:

merlin said:
    Hi David, 

Hi Merlin,

Well, because of the opposing bevel, the Precision : Strike Shuriken picks play like they're thinner than they are.  Given that you like the Dunlop Jazz III, I think that the 1.75mm is probably the one for you, and has been very popular.  I have several customers who enjoy both the 1.75 and 1.4 (the 1.4 is a little brighter with a different character to the attack) and find they complement each other nicely.

I made some prototype casein picks while developing the Shuriken series; I preferred the tone of the Magma and Nuclear acrylic in this design.  I've not experimented with carbon fibre for picks - the challenge would be getting a durable, smooth, polished finish (most carbon composites are very strong but scratch easily, making them not a great choice for a pick). I've also never used tortoiseshell, so can't really compare or comment.

Cheers,
    David

Ah, bugger - I use Jazz III XLs (or Blue Chip Jazz 40s) so I thought the 1.4mm I ordered would be right for me. Still, looking forward to trying it out!
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Me too.  I'll give the 1.75 a try.  Ordered a file last week too :-)
  • Ah, bugger - I use Jazz III XLs (or Blue Chip Jazz 40s) so I thought the 1.4mm I ordered would be right for me. Still, looking forward to trying it out!
    Hi Stuart,

Don't worry. Let me know how you get on with it - I'll be happy to swap it for the 1.75mm if you want to.

Cheers,
    David

Wolfram

wolframslides.com