Blue Chip picks

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Wolfram said:

merlin said:
    Hi David, 

Thanks for getting in the thread. I'm still looking for the "perfect" plectrum... so far I've found great results with Dunlop Jazz III max grips, but they're a little too small. Pure carbon fibre feels great in the hand but there's just a bit too much attack, although the way they come off the string is great. I've never used tortoiseshell (and won't, on principle) but the John Pearse casein picks are pretty close to what I'm looking for in terms of attack and release. 

What do you recommend? I'm thinking that one each of the Precision : Strike Shuriken teardrop 1.4 and 1.75 for starters....
    Hi Merlin,

Well, because of the opposing bevel, the Precision : Strike Shuriken picks play like they're thinner than they are.  Given that you like the Dunlop Jazz III, I think that the 1.75mm is probably the one for you, and has been very popular.  I have several customers who enjoy both the 1.75 and 1.4 (the 1.4 is a little brighter with a different character to the attack) and find they complement each other nicely.

I made some prototype casein picks while developing the Shuriken series; I preferred the tone of the Magma and Nuclear acrylic in this design.  I've not experimented with carbon fibre for picks - the challenge would be getting a durable, smooth, polished finish (most carbon composites are very strong but scratch easily, making them not a great choice for a pick). I've also never used tortoiseshell, so can't really compare or comment.

Cheers,
    David

Ah, bugger - I use Jazz III XLs (or Blue Chip Jazz 40s) so I thought the 1.4mm I ordered would be right for me. Still, looking forward to trying it out!
    Hi Stuart,

Don't worry - let me know how you get on with it. I'll be happy to swap it for the 1.75mm if you want to.

Cheers,
    David

Wolfram

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.

wolframslides.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wolfram said:

merlin said:
    Hi David, 

Thanks for getting in the thread. I'm still looking for the "perfect" plectrum... so far I've found great results with Dunlop Jazz III max grips, but they're a little too small. Pure carbon fibre feels great in the hand but there's just a bit too much attack, although the way they come off the string is great. I've never used tortoiseshell (and won't, on principle) but the John Pearse casein picks are pretty close to what I'm looking for in terms of attack and release. 

What do you recommend? I'm thinking that one each of the Precision : Strike Shuriken teardrop 1.4 and 1.75 for starters....
    Hi Merlin,

Well, because of the opposing bevel, the Precision : Strike Shuriken picks play like they're thinner than they are.  Given that you like the Dunlop Jazz III, I think that the 1.75mm is probably the one for you, and has been very popular.  I have several customers who enjoy both the 1.75 and 1.4 (the 1.4 is a little brighter with a different character to the attack) and find they complement each other nicely.

I made some prototype casein picks while developing the Shuriken series; I preferred the tone of the Magma and Nuclear acrylic in this design.  I've not experimented with carbon fibre for picks - the challenge would be getting a durable, smooth, polished finish (most carbon composites are very strong but scratch easily, making them not a great choice for a pick). I've also never used tortoiseshell, so can't really compare or comment.

Cheers,
    David

Ah, bugger - I use Jazz III XLs (or Blue Chip Jazz 40s) so I thought the 1.4mm I ordered would be right for me. Still, looking forward to trying it out!
    Hi Stuart,

Don't worry - let me know how you get on with it. I'll be happy to swap it for the 1.75mm if you want to.

Cheers,
    David

Wolfram

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.

wolframslides.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom