Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gigging injuries.

What's Hot
LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1201
edited November 2016 in Off Topic

Played an acoustic gig last Friday and this happened:

http://i.imgur.com/iauW2W6.jpg

Never happens when I practice but every time I gig, I finish with significantly less skin than I started with!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ouch. How?

My dad once broke his left wrist while loading up ready to go to a solo gig - tripped over the trailer coupling. Still played the gig, though; he had to have his guitar a bit higher-up, as I recall.

I had to go with him (and to all the subsequent gigs for a good couple of months) to change gear...I was about 13 at the time, I think.

Bloody nutter.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I once did a Jack White and cut 3 fingers on a broken string

Didn't notice until after the gig when the lights came on and all my gear was covered in blood
    Stop crying, start buying
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158
    edited November 2016
    I was once setting up a guitar stand before a gig- one of those ones with the long neck support thing. I'd loosened the screw on the back to extend the neck support bit, but somehow managed to allow it to swivel round and hit me in the eye. I did the gig, but with one eye closed and in quite a lot of pain. 

After the gig, I went to eye casualty (yes, it's a thing) at the local hospital and was told by a very pretty ophthalmologist (who very generously didn't laugh at me when I told her what I'd done) that there wasn't really anything much wrong with my eye and to stop being such a pansy.

When I gigged with a Telecaster I often found I had a sore patch on my forearm the next day where it had been in contact with the edge of the body, but nothing like as bad as @Longtallronnie's

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1201
    edited November 2016

@digitalscream ; 20 years of poor technique and aggressive strumming I guess!

I also sweat like a bastard which probably doesn't help, also rules out long sleeves when playing.

I'm trying to convince the wife a smaller guitar would cure it but a long wrist sweatband is more likely.

• Playing with my old band, the second song of a set with a dodgy cable that completely gave out in a bit when it was supposed to be just me. Nothing physical but my pride took a severe blow.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I once brained myself on the support band's Hammond organ after a gig. Stooped to pick up my leads or something in a hurry and BANG! my forehead smacked into the front edge of the organ. Nothing lasting but it bloody hurt and I had a long red bruisy bump on the front of my head for a while.
  • When I play my Acoustic with short sleeves I sometimes get an rash where my arm rubs along the corner of the body.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    An old band of mine once paled a gig with a Birmingham sludge band called Mistress. Their Singer was doing a bit of GG Allin thing and punching himself as he sang.  He demanded someone hit him. Our bassist obliged. 

Left hand tap to the jaw. 

He need 7 stitches 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I normally pick up smashed knuckles from poor drumming technique
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Try and avoid the Richie Havens style of strumming.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    edited November 2016
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/maliciousteve/brutal0002.jpg
    This is what my guitar looked like after a show over 10 years ago. Didn't realise it happened.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

@digitalscream ; 20 years of poor technique and aggressive strumming I guess!

I also sweat like a bastard which probably doesn't help, also rules out long sleeves when playing.

I'm trying to convince the wife a smaller guitar would cure it but a long wrist sweatband is more likely.

jeez… playing guitar shouldn't be doing that to ya..
    play every note as if it were your first

Stevepage said:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/maliciousteve/brutal0002.jpg
    This is what my guitar looked like after a show over 10 years ago. Didn't realise it happened.
    hitting members of the audience with a 7-string is to be encouraged..
    that's a proper metal gig..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    my gigging injuries are pretty much all related to loading / unloading..
    picking things up badly, smashing fingers into doors / door frames whilst carrying stuff

after funk gigs I lose skin from the back of some fingers on the picking hand which gets pretty sore
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Most of my gigging injuries came from the audience hurling bottles at me.
  • I've done my back packing away. I've also had my fretting hand lock up during an encore tune. I've skinned my index finger and splattered blood all over my LP a few times. I've fallen over but not hurt myself. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24356
    I dropped an Ashdown 410 bass cab on a finger once. I was getting it out of the car, got my hands under it, slipped and the rubber foot landed perfectly on the finger tip.

Had to play without my middle finger.

Those ABM cabs were bastard heavy. I'm still wincing and it was about 15 years ago!
  • I once decapitated myself on a smashed bong wile playing lead guitar for van halen while my model girlfriend watched formt he side of the stage.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tendonitis and tinnitus :(
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I once decapitated myself on a smashed bong wile playing lead guitar for van halen while my model girlfriend watched formt he side of the stage.
    DaLefty?
    Stop crying, start buying
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom