Artisan 15

What's Hot
I recently picked up an Artisan 15 from the forum. My next chance to wind it up and try some different boosts will be later in December. So in the meantime, I thought I'd look at some suitable overdrive and boosts for it.

Has anyone had experience of getting it from a bit dirty to classic rock with a pedal? And then a dirty boost on top of that too?

I've currently got or could hopefully borrow for a bit..
Bad Monkey
Rowin Plextortion
Dod looking glass
Klone
SHOD.
SHO.

I was thinking of some kind of low gain marshally pedal to add to what the amp is doing. It's a bit of a loud amp!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It also has a G12H in it, I was thinking it might be worth getting a G12M back in before I begin the pedal hunt? Anyone tried both?
  • I've found the Blackstar HT/LT Dual sounds great with the Artisan series, I'm pretty sure they were actually voiced for each other somewhat by design. I also had good results with a Fulltone OCD. Bad Monkey is good but it's essentially a tube screamer, any will do.

I prefer Greenbacks normally, but you will get a bit more volume on tap with the V30. Can be a fair bit spikier though.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

If it is a very early one check that the EL84 cathode bias resistor is 120 Ohms and not 100R. It is the big, 10 watt resistor on the turret board by the OP valves.

Not a desperate issue but some valves (EH iirc) will redplate with 100R at 240V in and above.

Note also the EF86! Had peeps swap them for an ECC83 then wonder why one channel is dead!

Yes, stock combo went out with a Greenback.

Dave.

• I've found the Blackstar HT/LT Dual sounds great with the Artisan series, I'm pretty sure they were actually voiced for each other somewhat by design. I also had good results with a Fulltone OCD. Bad Monkey is good but it's essentially a tube screamer, any will do.

I prefer Greenbacks normally, but you will get a bit more volume on tap with the V30. Can be a fair bit spikier though.
    @Fiftyshadesofjay Ye, I've never liked the cleaner side of the V30. I've had a Creamback 65 and Greenback M and much preferred them. This combo came with a G12H and I'd love to know if the M is more suitable for distortion duties. From what I've listened to on YoutTube, the H can be a bit shrill with gain. 

I'll check out the OCD thanks.
  • ecc83 said:

If it is a very early one check that the EL84 cathode bias resistor is 120 Ohms and not 100R. It is the big, 10 watt resistor on the turret board by the OP valves.

Not a desperate issue but some valves (EH iirc) will redplate with 100R at 240V in and above.

Note also the EF86! Had peeps swap them for an ECC83 then wonder why one channel is dead!

Dave.

Thanks! I knew about the EF86. This one is a bit noisy so I'm looking out for a decent Mullard on ebay.

I'll check the bias resistor next time I open it up.
  • In my experience, Artisans take a Hotcake very well. That'd be my vote. 
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    austint01 said:
    ecc83 said:

Dave.

Thanks! I knew about the EF86. This one is a bit noisy so I'm looking out for a decent Mullard on ebay.

Don't assume the a Mullard will be quieter. The EF86 is an inherently noisy/microphonic valve and Mullards can be a bad as any. It's an expensive process if you buy them to try!

I've had better results with modern valves for EF86s. Although I'm not sure whether to believe myself, cos I read on the internet.......... :D

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    martinw said:
    austint01 said:
    ecc83 said:

Dave.

Don't assume the a Mullard will be quieter. The EF86 is an inherently noisy/microphonic valve and Mullards can be a bad as any. It's an expensive process if you buy them to try!

I've had better results with modern valves for EF86s. Although I'm not sure whether to believe myself, cos I read on the internet.......... :D

It is unusual (never IMEXP!) for the EF86 to be noisy in an A15/30 because it is not used as a front end valve but with a lot of NFB around it giving very low gain and a low OPZ. But yes, **t'appen.

I do agree, if you can REALLY prove the 86 is the problem and not the ECC83 section driving it, shop around and don't pay silly NOS monies.

Note too that the Artisans are made using carbon composition resistors in anode and cathode paths (a "booteekyness" I do not agree with!). The 100k loads have been known to go noisy.

Dave.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    I played through a 30 once and was underwhelmed but they are damned loud...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    You really need to blend the two channels with a patch cable to get the most out of them. 
  • 57Deluxe said:
    I played through a 30 once and was underwhelmed but they are damned loud...
    You really need to blend the two channels with a patch cable to get the most out of them. 
    This is my second go with an A15. I get the feeling you have to run it a particular way or something. I've heard the odd video on YouTube that sounded good. But the others were pathetic. I'm going to give it some time and try and figure it out.

This one piqued my interest about them again.  - I started it from 33 seconds because the 5 watt mode is a bit flat, but the 15 watt on that strat bridge sounds ace.
  • ecc83 said:

Dave.

Ef86 and a couple of el84s - is it based on a vox ac15? 

I tried one and it didn't sounded that much like one - thicker and less toppy.

"Ef86 and a couple of el84s - is it based on a vox ac15? " Not really except in the fact that they share valve types. The Art 15 has a choke feeding the G2s, PI and earlier stages. The AC15 is a slightly more complex pre amp with the "classic" DC couple common cathode and cathode follower stage. Only the very early Voxs had the EF86 in the front end AFAIK where it was, a Martin stated, subject to noise and microphony.

Mind you there are a LOT of vox schematic variants!

Dave.

• that amp does sound good in that video

Brett is a great guitarist though
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ecc83 said:

"Ef86 and a couple of el84s - is it based on a vox ac15? " Not really except in the fact that they share valve types. The Art 15 has a choke feeding the G2s, PI and earlier stages. The AC15 is a slightly more complex pre amp with the "classic" DC couple common cathode and cathode follower stage. Only the very early Voxs had the EF86 in the front end AFAIK where it was, a Martin stated, subject to noise and microphony.

Dave.

Aye, I'm not looking forward to my ef86 needing replacing, sounds like a right ballache to get a good one.  
    ecc83 said:

Dave.

Aye, I'm not looking forward to my ef86 needing replacing, sounds like a right ballache to get a good one.  

It will NOT be a ballache! As I explained, the EF86 is NOT used as a high gain preamp it is driven from another ECC83 section and thus adds its own form of "tone" . The valve is not particularly unreliable I only recall changing one (in an A30) and that was because it had failed completely which ANY valve is prone to do once in a while (might have gone O/C heater, a rare event in itself)

If you are THAT bothered I bet I could find you a "once used for test" sample! PM  me an address and I will pop it in the post for Xmas!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I really must get ICBM to take a look at mine. It doesn't sound like that! The tone at noon would kill a grown man
  • Cabicular said:
    I really must get ICBM to take a look at mine. It doesn't sound like that! The tone at noon would kill a grown man
    I've heard they're bright but so far its not been my experience. What guitar do you have going in?
  • ecc83 said:
    ecc83 said:

Dave.

It will NOT be a ballache! As I explained, the EF86 is NOT used as a high gain preamp it is driven from another ECC83 section and thus adds its own form of "tone" . The valve is not particularly unreliable I only recall changing one (in an A30) and that was because it had failed completely which ANY valve is prone to do once in a while (might have gone O/C heater, a rare event in itself)

If you are THAT bothered I bet I could find you a "once used for test" sample! PM  me an address and I will pop it in the post for Xmas!

Dave.

Sorry, you misunderstood, I have an ac15. I still fancy an artisan 30 or 100 mind. 

Thanks for the offer though! 

"Sorry, you misunderstood, I have an ac15. I still fancy an artisan 30 or 100 mind. 

Thanks for the offer though! ".....So, why did you quote me about....? Never mind! The 86 is still an easy swap in the A30 but you would need to select a good ECC83 for the front end for low noise and hum.

The A100 does not have a pentode in the pre amp and iirc is pretty unfussy. The amps are pretty bombproof. Read the thread about "do we need 100W amps?" The A100 ticks all the "pro" boxes.

The amp does not have an FX loop but you can fudge one of sorts with the 4 input jacks. No reverb except one that I modded for a famous name (and never got a fekkin' drink!) I think the guy is dead now and therefore some b'std has grabbed that amp!

Dave.