TS and and Klone in one pedal...?

What's Hot
Is this a thing? I'm really like both pedals as boosts for solos but the flavours are so very different. I don't feel I can justify (or physically fit) having both on one board.

Which leads me to the question - is there a pedal with both circuits in available? Ideally in a small enclosure. Either with a switch to flip between them or two footswitches.

I'm sure a custom jobby can be made but I'm not *that* bothered.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Dan at 4114 Effects might have something like that - I know he's made quite a lot of combination pedals.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3869
    Not a Klon, but have a look at the Way Huge Camel Toe
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2220
    edited December 2016

I didn't realise they were that different: I am a Luddite after all. What are the main differences tonally? The Tumnus sounds lovely: how does a TS's tone differ? More gain/mids? 

NB. I had a TS mini ages ago but can't remember enough about its tone to compare.

• @BintyTwanger77 I have a TS Mini and a JRAD Archer. 

To me at least, the mid-hump in the TS is much more pronounced than the Archer. Additionally, you can have 0 gain on the Archer whereas there is always gain in a TS no matter how low you set the drive.

Additionally, the Archer doesn't cut any low end like a TS does. In my rig, at least!
  • Excellent to know. New pedal I've got can be dialled up for an excellent TS tone, and already have a Tumnus which is fantastic.
  • @BintyTwanger77 What is this mysterious 'new pedal'? Yeah I'd like a Tumnus for the footprint but honestly I think they're overpriced.
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2220
    edited December 2016
    @BintyTwanger77 What is this mysterious 'new pedal'? Yeah I'd like a Tumnus for the footprint but honestly I think they're overpriced.

As there's a 30 day return/refund policy with the retailer, I've ordered a Riverside.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291

I didn't realise they were that different: I am a Luddite after all. What are the main differences tonally? The Tumnus sounds lovely: how does a TS's tone differ? More gain/mids? 

NB. I had a TS mini ages ago but can't remember enough about its tone to compare.

Don't worry about it, all overdrives sound the same.
     :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    Maybe a Keeley Tonestation or the JHS Double Barrell has their TS pedal and Morning Glory in it with an order switch. Not budget options mind. I use an MI Blues Pro which is a super tweakable TS that you can set to clean boost with no gain. It does have the mid hump. Stacked into a FET Drive (that is minus the mid hump) it sounds amazing...

To me at least, the mid-hump in the TS is much more pronounced than the Archer. Additionally, you can have 0 gain on the Archer whereas there is always gain in a TS no matter how low you set the drive.

Additionally, the Archer doesn't cut any low end like a TS does. In my rig, at least!
    I have both these as well, another thing to note is that the TS has a compressed sound and the Archer has a much faster attack transient.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    edited December 2016
    Sassafras said:

Don't worry about it, all overdrives sound the same.

That's not fair, I'm not letting you off with that. There are at least two different overdrive sounds. D

(middy/compressed TS-style and flatter mids style like a timmy etc.)
  • Truetone VS-XO has a tweakable TS808 on one side. The other is a Nobels ODR-1 derivative, not a Klone, but it has flat mids and adjustable bass. I love mine, especially running at 12V.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    edited February 2017
    https://www.greenchildamps.com/products/k818

Fell over this older thread of mine and realised I'd found the solution by accident today - Greenchild K818. No UK dealers though.

I have both these as well, another thing to note is that the TS has a compressed sound and the Archer has a much faster attack transient.
    What does this even mean?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    edited February 2017
    @robinbowes it means that the Archer is a lot less compressed - by 'Attack Transient' he means the very first part of the note - usually the hard picking sound if you use a plectrum. Overdrives and compressors generally soften that initial attack up.
  • @robinbowes it means that the Archer is a lot less compressed - by 'Attack Transient' he means the very first part of the note - usually the hard picking sound if you use a plectrum. Overdrives and compressors generally soften that initial attack up.
    Correct, you need to try a Tube Screamer and a Klone side by side and you will hear, and feel a distinct difference in that initial start of notes and chords. It's something you won't fully hear from YouTube demos.

• Isn't the new Keeley D&M pedal effectively a TS and Klone in one with the ability to stack in either order?
  • @hubobulous I don't think so - it looks to me more like a Bluesbreaker (or I guess, a Keeley Modded Blues Driver) on the Dan side and a Klone on the Mick side.
  • greenchildampsgreenchildamps Frets: 0
    edited February 2017
    https://www.greenchildamps.com/products/k818

Fell over this older thread of mine and realised I'd found the solution by accident today - Greenchild K818. No UK dealers though.
    We will happily ship to you direct in the UK.