Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I don't THINK I'm about to be scammed . . .

What's Hot

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    @Paul_C has written half a dozen posts explaining the 'bigger picture' of the situation - defending it even?

He even said "I
     just googled the band name mentioned in his emails and came up with this so it looks like it may well be legit, but weird."

All that proves is that the author of the email mentioned a band that exists.  Evidence of a connection between the band and the author? Zilch.

As I said in my earlier post, the next step needs the mark to see the bigger picture.... ;)

True, this might not be a scam.  Scams don't come with neon signs, and like all the best scams, the mark has to believe it isn't one.  But if you ever wondered what type of people fall for scams then study this thread.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10719
    Paul_C said:

I just googled the band name mentioned in his emails and came up with this so it looks like it may well be legit, but weird.

How about contacting the chap who posts the drillers' videos?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think the only way the scam could work is if somehow Paul becomes liable through "non-arrival" of the goods.

With the correct precautions taken regarding proof of it leaving one's possession, he should be OK I would have thought?

But maybe I am the type who would fall into whatever trap is being laid.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16754
    Maybe the seller has already decided it's a bit fishy
  • Mate, simply refund and walk away NOW 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28657
    I think the only way the scam could work is if somehow Paul becomes liable through "non-arrival" of the goods.

If it is a scam, it's not Paul who's being scammed.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72563
    I think the only way the scam could work is if somehow Paul becomes liable through "non-arrival" of the goods.
    Or by giving out his contact details and Paypal address. It's too late to do anything about that now unfortunately. Simply signing things saying you've received something and sent it on is not legal proof and doesn't protect you.

I still think it's more likely he'll be used as the 'diversion' middleman and the seller is the one who's getting screwed, but that doesn't necessarily remove potential liability.

I can't remember exactly how the Ross Fingland scam worked, but it was something along these lines - from memory, Fingland ended up with @Drew_TNBD's pedal *and* the legitimate buyer's money.

Unfortunately Drew is taking a break now so he's not around to explain.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vizviz Frets: 10719
    As said before, the seller is probably the scammee, not Paul. Paul's just the unwitting middle man. The seller is probably aware of the chargeback scam so the buyer has offered the Paul option as a legitimate trustworthy intermediary. But ultimately there will be no proof of sending the bass between buyer and seller so hey presto, chargeback. 

If you really want to help someone out, warn the seller!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72563
    viz said:
    As said before, the seller is probably the scammee, not Paul. Paul's just the unwitting middle man. The seller is probably aware of the chargeback scam so the buyer has offered the Paul option as a legitimate trustworthy intermediary. But ultimately there will be no proof of sending the bass between buyer and seller so hey presto, chargeback.
    Resulting in the seller coming after Paul.

viz said:

If you really want to help someone out, warn the seller!
    Definitely a very good idea, via the original ad and not in any way via the "buyer" or the "buyer's friend".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

And like all good marks, we are now into "Well I can't figure out the scam so it can't be one" territory  :3
  • ICBM said:
    Or by giving out his contact details and Paypal address. It's too late to do anything about that now unfortunately. Simply signing things saying you've received something and sent it on is not legal proof and doesn't protect you.

I still think it's more likely he'll be used as the 'diversion' middleman and the seller is the one who's getting screwed, but that doesn't necessarily remove potential liability.

I can't remember exactly how the Ross Fingland scam worked, but it was something along these lines - from memory, Fingland ended up with @Drew_TNBD's pedal *and* the legitimate buyer's money.

Unfortunately Drew is taking a break now so he's not around to explain.

Shit, I remember that. What a butthole. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12413
    The sad bit is that Paul was just trying to do someone a good turn, An easy mark in other words.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    edited December 2016
    The sad bit is that Paul was just trying to do someone a good turn, An easy mark in other words.
    It is an absolutely essential ingredient in the scam, to counterbalance the guilt of the personal profit/something-for-nothing feeling.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I'm guessing this isn't a £99 Squier? maybe it has something of intrinsic value like expensive pickups that mysteriously are not on the guitar when it arrives in Russia and Paul is set.up as the fall guy being in the trade.

Seems a mite too elaborate for the price if two pickups though. 

Or maybe it is a fake high end bass? and Paul is set up as having subbed a different guitar, the Russian assumes they are in cahoots and sends in the hit man?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    edited December 2016
    If I am looking at the right Ebay listing (Paul could verify) the bass was sold on 23rd October for £266 which was the winning bid of 8 bids. Interestingly this is how the seller described it:

"Here is another Bass Im Selling from my friends Guitar collection.

I don't know anything about this Bass only it's a Burns Bison Series Bass and it looks like it's never been used. I think this one had been forgotten!

There is a serial number sn0305108

Collection only please"

So, there are five people involved: The bass owner, his mate the seller, the Scottish guy, Paul and a Russian buyer. It has the makings of a good thriller

If I've read this thread correctly Paul has been paid £20 but hasn't yet done anything because there is no sign of the bass, even though the sale was over six weeks ago. You'd think the buyer would be getting pretty anxious by now, wouldn't you? But no word from anyone. Could it be that the bass was shipped to Russia or collected by the Scottish guy without telling Paul? Or has the buyer found that it costs far too much to ship it?

If there is a scam who is the scammer and who is the victim? A case for Poirot methinks.

FWIW the seller sold seven other bass guitars on 23rd October, all on behalf of 'a family friend', and all seven buyers gave positive feedback. Which makes Paul's case even more of a mystery.
    Jimbro66 said:
    FWIW the seller sold seven other bass guitars on 23rd October, all on behalf of 'a family friend', and all seven buyers gave positive feedback. Which makes Paul's case even more of a mystery.
    Love the detective work of the Fretboard!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Chalky said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Love the detective work of the Fretboard!
    More Clouseau than Poirot I have to admit :D
  • Jimbro66 said:

No mystery. A couple of people have pointed out that it's the seller who is most likely to be the one being scammed.
    Jimbro66 said:

No mystery. A couple of people have pointed out that it's the seller who is most likely to be the one being scammed.
    How so if the seller still has the guitar?