Stevie Wonders Superstition

What's Hot
My band have decided (in my absense!) to cover this for our "wedding set"

I like it a lot but given that it's predominantly keyboard - I'd be interested to hear your collective thoughts on how you'd approach this, effects technique chords or single notes etc

Bear in mind we are a bass, drums, single guitar set up
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    edited January 2014
    Watch Phil X doing it in a three piece. Funky as fuck:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    This comes up bizzarely often. The song was written to be played on guitar. By Jeff Beck. So, check out the Jeff Beck version for starters.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I didn't know that

I'm so gay for Phil x
  • I didn't know that

I'm so gay for Phil x
    Me too. Man crush.

• This rules
  • Do every cover band do this?  We had the other guitarist doing the funky keys bit, while I handled the horns.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10415

On guitar I move the key to E, rather than play in Eb like the original. Part of the key to getting some funk into it is to purposelessly misfret  some notes  to prevent them sounding out properly, makes a difference I think 

Like Chris said other guitar then does horn part, sounds fine

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    We've covered this as well in a single guitar line-up. Goes down pretty well. Like the poster above we do it in E, great fun playing riff quite loosely.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    I always liked this approach.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    My band do it occasionally (though we have horns)

I play it pretty much the way Phil X does with the exception that I put a bit of wah on the "13 month old baby" brass riff and I don't do the brass riff after the chorus because the horns take that. 

Lots of left and right hand muting and rakes with a very light drive is the best policy.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    We do this without keys.  I play the riffs, using a cry baby, and the sax player does the brass bits.  I wish I'd heard the Phil X version before we did our arrangement because I like his way of dealing with the brass parts.

We actually play it in Eb, but only because I use a pedal to detune by a semitone.  Without the pedal I would have insisted on E to take advantage of the open strings.  Our bass player uses a 5 string, so that doesn't bother him
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • FWIW from the above i think the SRV version is "best" but thats because the organ fills out the brass bits. if you are just a three piece i would definitely go with the phil x version.

my three piece used to do it pretty much exactly the same as that, in fact I'm super proud that i played the brass bits exactly the same with unison bends so that means I'm easily as good as phil x ;-)

just keep it loose. its a standard but its definitely one that you could also put your own little slant on
    How very rock and roll
  • My band do it as a 3 piece. Loosely based of the Phil X version. I'm like a more chubby, more cuddly less enthusiastic Phil X.

Anyway, it's possible with a good bassist. My bassist took the bass line of a live Stevie Wonder version and it sounded great (in my opinion).
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328

we do it.  do it in E cos Eb's for horns or gayers...

I whack a bit of delay on the geetar and a little bit of crunch.   If I can get the delay tempo right, it fills it out quite a bit and sounds quite good to my ears anyway!!

.. guitar and bass double up on the bridge/pre chorus bittys.   goes down ok, we then segue into a version of  groove is in the heart in a vain attempt to keep the usually hammered and knackered lone dancer on the dance floor..

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88 said:

goes down ok, we then segue into a version of  groove is in the heart in a vain attempt to keep the usually hammered and knackered lone dancer on the dance floor..

i fucking love a good segue, nice work!
    How very rock and roll
  • As it's such a great song I thought I'd post this:

If you get the multitrack stems to that song, have a listen to the parts… there isn't any guitar in the original, but Stevie's layering of keys to build that riff is absolutely amazing to listen to without the other parts :-)

There's a link in the description on this youtube video

• Also, Phil X with Guthrie Govan for another approach…

• Get a Space Echo and a horn section :)

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    And the moral is - don't let Phil X mess with your board !

• And the moral is - don't let Phil X mess with your board !
    It was actually Phil's board as Guthrie was guesting at The Drills' gig. Just shows how individual the different gear and playing styles can sound.