Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Donald Trump tweets re China

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6062
    edited December 2016
    Someone needs to call the Chinese out, they've been flooding the world with underpriced everything, some of it bogusly labelled, for too long.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I worry what this will do to the price of chibsons
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    ewal said:
    Chalky said:
    @ewal said "Therefore no matter what the fuckwit tweets, the US is still committed to a one China policy".  

I see. You know better than Trump what the US is committed to.
    Selective quoting - nice.

Obama is still in charge. Earnest is still the press secretary. No-one has said the policy will change. The statement was justified. The BBC were right to report it.

I've tried to re-word my argument so it is simple enough for you.
    Suggesting I need these things made simple? Perhaps you should look up the word "committed" and you will learn that it's meaning has a time element to it.  Come 20 January, those committed White House staff will be redundant.

But perhaps you are one of those people who stand up in front of the workforce saying "This company is committed to no redundancies". Then a month later when blokes are laid off you argue "Well I was committed when I said it!"  :3
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    JezWynd said:
    Someone needs to call the Chinese out, they've been flooding the world with underpriced everything, some of it bogusly labelled, for too long.

But we've all been happy to buy these cheap consumer goods, televisions, tablets, phones etc.
  • But how do we avoid buying Chinese? You buy an Apple and it's made in China, as is everything else, probably 90% of consumer goods have one or more components made there
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    There is plenty of information on the internet about boycotting Chinese made products mainly by people opposed to China's human and animal rights issues. A lot of electronics are made in Korea and Japan. Some motorola mobiles are made in the USA. It has to be said though that you never know how much of the innards are produced in China.
    Chalky said:
    ewal said:
    Chalky said:
    @ewal said "Therefore no matter what the fuckwit tweets, the US is still committed to a one China policy".  

I see. You know better than Trump what the US is committed to.
    Selective quoting - nice.

Obama is still in charge. Earnest is still the press secretary. No-one has said the policy will change. The statement was justified. The BBC were right to report it.

I've tried to re-word my argument so it is simple enough for you.
    Suggesting I need these things made simple? Perhaps you should look up the word "committed" and you will learn that it's meaning has a time element to it.  Come 20 January, those committed White House staff will be redundant.

But perhaps you are one of those people who stand up in front of the workforce saying "This company is committed to no redundancies". Then a month later when blokes are laid off you argue "Well I was committed when I said it!"  :3
    Oh look, Trump is questioning the One China policy in the news today.  Go on @ewal, tell him Obama is still in charge.  And tell the BBC off for not quoting the White House in today's article.  

Or maybe the BBC realised how stupid their last report was....
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30925
    edited December 2016
    HAL9000 said:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-38167022

Will he be having tea with the Dali Lama soon?

Is the past tense of tweet 'twat'?
    If he does Barrack will condemn Trump and the headline will be

"Obama Lama Ding-Dong".

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    HAL9000 said:

"Obama Lama Ding-Dong".

Stunning work, especially at this time of the morning. Have a LOL, why don't you.

Also, anyone who sees this as anything other than a foreign policy disaster needs to go back to their Fisher Price Guide to Basic Overseas Diplomacy and think again.
  • Gassage said:
    HAL9000 said:

"Obama Lama Ding-Dong".

Stunning work, especially at this time of the morning. Have a LOL, why don't you.

Also, anyone who sees this as anything other than a foreign policy disaster needs to go back to their Fisher Price Guide to Basic Overseas Diplomacy and think again.

Fuck, I'm quite certain I took my copy to a charity shop! 
    Why do the naive think Diplomacy = Not Upsetting Foreign Governments?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Chalky said:

Oh look, Trump is questioning the One China policy in the news today.
    It depends how far Trump pushes it and what the Chinese do. I would give him some credit for saying that the current situation is nonsensical - that China claims sovereignty over what is a de facto independent state, that Taiwan still calls itself the "Republic Of China" and that the US is quite happy to sell arms to Taiwan but won't speak to its president.

He perhaps could have gone about raising the question in a less inflamatory way, but maybe there is no less inflamatory way. Ideally all sides need an attack of common sense - Taiwan given its independence formally and stop claiming to be China, and the US having proper diplomatic relations with both of them. Good luck with that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    China was not humiliated by the fall of the Berlin Wall in the same way that Russia was. It is more than aware that to keep its government in power it has to keep selling to the west. Normal Russians never saw the benefits of the fall of communism in the way normal Chinese have. They would not be prepared to tolerate the level of belligerence that Russians are because they have more to lose. I suspect in private they lose more sleep over North Korea. 
  • Chalky said:
    Why do the naive think Diplomacy = Not Upsetting Foreign Governments?

- Dunno, probably for the same reason that the stupid think that being rude on twitter is a good way to go about international diplomacy?