White Les Paul Stripping?

What's Hot
I'm toying with the idea of a refin on my white Les Paul Studio as I've grown bored of white and fancy a crack at stripping the white and refinishing in a darker colour.  I'm toying with the idea of a cherry back and coloured top of sorts (with faux scraped binding a la PRS).

My question is, has anyone ever successfully stripped a white Les Paul and had a nice clean back to refinish?  If so, any pictures to hand? :)
- Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    nick_s said:

My question is, has anyone ever successfully stripped a white Les Paul and had a nice clean back to refinish?  If so, any pictures to hand? :)

Mary Ford did. Here's a pic:

http://pe2.xn--e1akkdfpb6a.xn--p1ai/images1/mary-ford-10.jpg

;)

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLM said:
    nick_s said:

Mary Ford did. Here's a pic:

http://pe2.xn--e1akkdfpb6a.xn--p1ai/images1/mary-ford-10.jpg

;)

guess where her other hand is!

• nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    With the look on his face, I can imagine :dizzy: 

Any hoo, I found a page with some pictures of someone who had attempted the same.  Good results:

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3073
    Only issue is, you might not find a very attractive maple top under the paint, bit of a lottery....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57 said:
    Only issue is, you might not find a very attractive maple top under the paint, bit of a lottery....
    Indeedy.  I'm toying with the idea of a gold top anyway, so that would hopefully negate that problem :)
  • I did this one recently, although it was an LPJ rather than a studio:

Here was the before:

...and here was the after:

The build thread is here.  Hope this helps :)  
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16779
    nick_s said:
    paulnb57 said:
    Indeedy.  I'm toying with the idea of a gold top anyway, so that would hopefully negate that problem :)
    In that case I would go for it.... see what's there and you can always still do the gold top option
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Here's the back, by the way:

I stained the back, sides and neck, by the way - the timber was very light in colour under the original paint...
    If you are happy to do a solid colour on the top then I say go for it!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

I did this one recently, although it was an LPJ rather than a studio:

Here was the before:

...and here was the after:

That sir is a fantastic thread, thanks for the heads up :)  I may have missed it, but what did you use to strip the white from the LPJ?
    Deadman said:
    That my man is an incredible transformation!  I liked the white burst before, but what you've done is nothing short of fantastic with that burst!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3926
    Thanks a lot. If you want to do yours and need any advice just give us a shout. 
    Deadman said:
    Thanks a lot. If you want to do yours and need any advice just give us a shout. 
    Legend, thank you :)
    Something to consider, it will probably devalue the instrument for resale......

paulnb57 said:
    Something to consider, it will probably devalue the instrument for resale......
    Not an issue as she's a keeper sound and playing wise :)  I did mull over the idea of selling/trading it for a colour I prefer, but then I run the risk of losing the playability that this guitar has.  My son also shows a keen interest in playing, so would be something he'd inherit in the long run.  It's only a Studio so isn't of great value anyway :)
  • nick_s said:
    I did this one recently, although it was an LPJ rather than a studio:

That sir is a fantastic thread, thanks for the heads up :)  I may have missed it, but what did you use to strip the white from the LPJ?
    Just sandpaper.  Nitro is pretty easy to get off and there is minimal chance of damaging it.  Quite different story if you were tackling a thick poly finish - with some of those, trying to sand is the way to insanity :)
  • Deadman said:
    I remember this one too. :). Fabulous job - top drawer stuff.