robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3608
edited December 2016 in Amps
What does the C1 and C2 mean?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    edited December 2016
    C denotes custom, 1 and 2 denotes 1 or 2 speakers. 

So a Vox AC15C1 is the latest version 1x12 and AC15C2 is the 2x12.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ......and the X means blue speakers
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    So a CC1 and CC2..?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    JookyChap said:
    So a CC1 and CC2..?
    "Custom Classic" - the previous series.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Cheers @ICBM ;

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    ICBM said:
    JookyChap said:
    So a CC1 and CC2..?
    "Custom Classic" - the previous much-maligned but better series (except that the speakers were crap).
    Fixed that for you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cirrus said:
    ICBM said:

"Custom Classic" - the previous much-maligned but better series (except that the speakers were crap).
    Fixed that for you
    And that the standby switch is in the wrong place in the circuit so tends to blow the rectifier valve.

There's an AC30CC2X in the shop today, with the Blue speakers. It sounds *fantastic* - totally wipes the floor with the "Heritage Hand Wired" version that's also in (and for what it's worth, is not hand wired…) and the Blackstar Artisan 30, which sounds like an AC30 with all the life and character taken out.

The CC2X is probably my favourite modern AC30 now - it's not the closest to the original, the Korg reissue AC30TBX is that - and has the wonderful Vib/Trem circuit - but it's the best combination of sound quality and useful features. The current (and genuinely) Hand Wired version is well-made and sounds great too, but doesn't have all the cool extra stuff.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited December 2016
    ICBM said:
    Cirrus said:
    ICBM said:

Fixed that for you
    And that the standby switch is in the wrong place in the circuit so tends to blow the rectifier valve.

There's an AC30CC2X in the shop today, with the Blue speakers. It sounds *fantastic* - totally wipes the floor with the "Heritage Hand Wired" version that's also in (and for what it's worth, is not hand wired…) and the Blackstar Artisan 30, which sounds like an AC30 with all the life and character taken out.

The CC2X is probably my favourite modern AC30 now - it's not the closest to the original, the Korg reissue AC30TBX is that - and has the wonderful Vib/Trem circuit - but it's the best combination of sound quality and useful features. The current (and genuinely) Hand Wired version is well-made and sounds great too, but doesn't have all the cool extra stuff.
    I pretty much agree - its a good sounding amp no question, but its a modern 'take' on the AC30 that wasn't too popular with AC30 enthusiasts - so perhaps not the amp for those that want a more vintage AC30 tone.  I personally like the current AC30C2 very much - with both greenbacks & blues.  

However, I was a moderator on the Vox forum and re the Custom Classics there was a massive furore (HUGE!) re the 'vox chinese celestion blues' that were made with the 'wrong' speaker cone material, and people were upset that Vox had misled people - especially as marketing pics originally showed the UK Celestion Blues which was hugely misleading.  That's why the Alnico Blues in the new AC30C2X have the correct cone material, and these speakers now sound like the UK Blues.  

But re the Custom Classics, I understand that its a pig to change tubes as you have to drop the whole chassis out....or have I got that wrong? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:

I pretty much agree - its a good sounding amp no question, but its a modern 'take' on the AC30 that wasn't too popular with AC30 enthusiasts - so perhaps not the amp for those that want a more vintage AC30 tone.  I personally like the current AC30C2 very much - with both greenbacks & blues.  However, there was a massive furore re the 'vox chinese celestion blues' that were made with the 'wrong' speaker cone material, and people upset that Vox had misled people.  That's why the new AC30C2X has the correct cone material, and these speakers now sound like the UK Blues.  

But re the Custom Classics, I understand that its a pig to change tubes as you have to drop the whole chassis out....or have I got that wrong? 
    I prefer the CC to the C - the C is a bit 'stiff' somehow and doesn't sound as chimey and Voxy to me.

The CC is a bit of a pain to change valves on, yes - to slide the chassis out you have to undo four awkward screws under it, and on the very first ones you have to undo the speaker wiring… not kidding.

The C is not much better though - unless you remove the fairly unnecessary metal grille in the back, you have to take out no less than seventeen screws to get into it. Removing the grille isn't really ideal either since it leaves the valves a bit unprotected.

You can fix the CC too - if you fit two extra slide rails above the shelf, you don't need the screws and then it's as easy as a vintage AC30 - in fact easier since you only have to take out two screws not four from the back panel.

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    the old Chinese Vox Blues are a bit more fizzy but in all fairness....its only when A/B'd against them now with the correct H17777 cones that you think they sound bad/worse. In isolation people still think they're a great sounding speaker..but
  • My AC30CCH sounds wonderful. Really really took me by surprise actually. 
  • ...though I'd like a cab for it now. Any recommendations that don't BREAK the bank? Is the matchy matchy 212C my best bet?
    ...though I'd like a cab for it now. Any recommendations that don't BREAK the bank? Is the matchy matchy 212C my best bet?
    [stuck record]

Harley Benton G212V

[/stuck record]

V30s, but you can always change one or both later.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm a heathen. Ac30 sound better with greenbacks. ;) 
    ICBM said:

V30s, but you can always change one or both later.
    Or just leave them in! I know I'm an evil heathen, but I loved the few times I gigged my AC30 head with a closed back V30 2x12. It has to be closed back through, or the low end isn't there.
    edited December 2016
    I'm a heathen. Ac30 sound better with greenbacks.  
    I know exactly what you mean - the blues are not for everyone.  Before they closed down the Barnet branch of DV247 I had the opportunity to try both the new AC30C2 and AC30C2X side by side.  And for what I play (Classic rock, blues, a little jazz, funk & country) I thought the greenbacks sounded much warmer and smoother and I much preferred them.  The blue alnico's were brighter, janglier/chimier, rawer/edgier, broke up earlier, and were quite a bit louder.  I liked them both for different reasons and certainly wouldn't have turned my nose up at the AC302X.  

But I just felt that the Greenbacks suited my style of playing and type of music a little better, and were more 'comfortable' to play.  If I was buying one then I think the AC30C1 with Greenbacks would be the one I'd go for...and it's cheaper too.  Sadly, I have no room for one, can't carry the weight any more, and have no need for one from a gigging perspective.  But maybe one day I'll win the lottery, have my own sound-proofed studio/rehearsal room...and then, who knows!
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    With the blues I've had, it felt like even with regular, loud playing, it took 18 months before the treble sounded right to me. Once they get to that stage, Alnico Blues are surprisingly mild up to whereas Greenbacks retain a bit of fizz that sits on top of the note in those potentially icepick 5kHz+ frequencies. It's the difference between saying VVVVVVVVVVVV and AAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

At that point, the first thing you notice with Blues vs almost any other speaker is that big, pushed mid-mids at like 800Hz, and how connected to the notes the speaker breakup is.

Greenbacks have a much wider sweetspot volume- and tone-wise and are more adaptable, though.
  • I sometimes think that I got my CC2 a bit too early (on the day I got my AS results actually). Previously I'd been using rehearsal room amps and a Blackstar HT-5 which were fairly straightforward to EQ - the Vox was anything but. It takes time, especially as a young kid, to ignore what your eyes see and listen with your ears. Now I actually make use of the cut knob and usually have the bass around 2 o'clock and treble at 11 o'clock.

Mine is sadly one of the early ones that I need to have modified so the speaker cables don't have to be disconnected to change the tubes (incidentally, whoever thought of that really is clueless). It needs two people to carry it from the car boot but...it's just such a wonderful sound. Sat on the edge of break up and digging in a bit on the strings makes it sing.
    You can fix the CC too - if you fit two extra slide rails above the shelf, you don't need the screws and then it's as easy as a vintage AC30 - in fact easier since you only have to take out two screws not four from the back panel.
    I've never heard of this mod actually - is it quite common? Seems to have completely passed me by.
    jpttaylor said:

I've never heard of this mod actually - is it quite common? Seems to have completely passed me by.
    No idea - never seen it documented, but it's exactly how vintage AC30s are done so it made sense to me! It simply removes the need to bolt the shelf to the rails underneath it.

This is an original, you can see the chassis shelf slides into the slot between the two blocks on each side.

http://mccarthyorth.smugmug.com/photos/539300403_s5bUR-L.jpg

All you need are two strips of wood and four woodscrews and you can make your CC like that.