Dancing, what's the point?, it's stupid really

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
edited December 2016 in Off Topic
Back in the day when it was called a Disco, or a club as I guess it's called now, we play music and people parade themselves in front of the opposite sex, dressed up and jiggle about.

It's daft

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Well... if you're dancing to a live band... it does give the band a bit of an emotional lift!

For a few fleeting moments, they can feel just a little bit better about all the hours they've put into practicing their set list... the recurring cost of the rehearsal studios... the rising price of new strings for every gig... the endless coiling of PA cables at the end of the night... and all just to earn £50 a head, playing to a pub full of drunks that can't believe the band doesn't know that Rod Stewart song that goes 'duh duh... lah lah... duh duh duh'.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Its an analogy for sexual foreplay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    When I was gigging, I LOVED it when punters danced. Was mint. 

I cant dance, so don't. Blonde girl, who loves dancing etc at 33, is taking me to a Kula Shaker gig next Fri. Has been reminded I'll be drinking. Not dancing. Wish I could though. Hey ho. 
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    I loved dancing when I was under 30, 11 stone and gorgeous.
    Now I'm 45, 14 stone (but still gorgeous) I find it pretty stupid.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Chalky said:
    I can honestly say that my dancing has only ever resulted in sexual noplay.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    Chalky said:
    "A vertical expression of a horizontal desire" - variously attributed to G B Shaw, Robert Frost, George Melly, et al...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't have the dancing gene. I've never understood it or felt the compulsion to do it. It's just an utterly alien concept to me.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm rubbish at dancing but I get much more up for it when hammered. Too self conscious otherwise. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    Sure it's about sex, but there's also something simply joyful about it, too:

Alas, I can only dance in time when there's a strobe light.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have always very much been a can't/won't dancer. Far too self-conscious, me. This is possibly why I can't take "dance music" seriously. 

Mind you, I was at a Pixies gig last night, and I loved watching women dance to the music. Women are much better than blokes at this kind of thing.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited December 2016
    Women are much better than blokes at this kind of thing.
    As I see it there are only two ways men can possibly dance- 'poorly' or 'gay'.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11303
    I've never seen the point of dancing, it surely ranks as one of mankind's more stupid inventions.

Dressage with (bad) music for humans.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited December 2016
    I cant dance. 
    Very rarely when im very pissed i attempt it, but being 6ft5 tall, i stand out like a .....stupid lanky prick, that cant dance!
  • While we're on it do people have the old traditional discos anymore? You remember, hire a hall, with a bar, get the local disco fella in and all sit round while he plays the latest hits that nobody dances to and slowly reverts to 60s singalong to get the aunties up and then after a while once they're all sloshed he can play anything and all the mums and dads dance only to stop and put the lights on for the buffet and he has to start all over again to get them up and dancing.

I used to hate it. I do recall 'dancing' like Morrissey waving arms and legs about a few times at a works Xmas party when I was in my late teens, 2 or 3 of us used to do it and I think it generally pissed people off and they thought were weirdos.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24286
    I can't dance. I'm bloody awful at it.

But I wish I could.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    I can't dance. Doesn't stop me though. Had a great time recently at a funk band gig, me and the missus were prancing around... I felt a bit self conscious at first but everybody was doing it, so what the hell. 
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    MDMA can definitely help with this. You will be 100% sure that the people staring at you are simply marvelling at your incredible moves. You certainly will never suspect they are just concerned for the sweaty saucer eyed weirdo, who looks like he is having some kind of fit.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Generally I don't dance, but I usually find myself dragged onto a dancefloor late in the night, with a bellyful of beer, and then sway gawmlessly to the beat. That is my extent of moving to music, I wouldn't venture to call it dancing.

USed to dance as a kid, but that was often under the influence of something, it was after all the era of acid house and all that. Dancing was almost compuslory and done without realising, and in a state of euphoria. Happy days.

These days though, no-one really wants to see a bloke in his 40s larging it up thinking he's still got it, shaking his moves etc. Its vaguely pathetic perhaps. Well it is, if it's done in seriousness, being daft is allowed!

adn really, if it makes you happy, what's it got to do with anyone else?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I'm in the can't/won't camp. Mrs A had a barn dance for her 40th, I just sat on a chair in the corner all night and refused to budge.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    I can't dance, although I could have a second career as a professional dad dancer at weddings if anyone wants to pay me.
    Always prefer to play and have others dance than indulge myself, it seems some people can't take no as an answer when they try to drag you onto a dance floor.
    Balding overwiegt middle aged man available for Professional Dad dancing, call 0789101112 and ask for Cyril.